Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to get some hollow points for my Ar15? I will be using it for home defense. Should I get expensive hollow points or just stick with the fmj?.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Do they make HP's for AR's other than match ammo?
If you want something that blows apart go the ballistic tipped route.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I've not seen hollow points for .223/5.56.

As the previous poster suggested they do have ballistic tips and there are also soft lead tips available.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I would suggest researching performance on different bullets for your AR . M193 or Hornady TAP rounds seem recommended a lot. some Fmj have steel tips (m855) that may over penetrate and perform less optimally.

·
Registered
868 Posts
As already mentioned, do some research on the performance of different bullets.

Do NOT get hung up on the idea of hollow points for SD just because they are hollow points. Not all hollow point bullets are designed to expand. A lot of hollow point bullets are designed for accuracy and not expansion. As a result, they will be very accurate and make nice SMALL holes. A good example of this is the Sierra MatchKing BTHP bullets. These are great for accuracy, but will not expand. If you want the expanding version, you want the GameKing HPBT bullet. Two different bullets designed for two different things, but both are hollow points.

Personally, I prefer the soft point bullets rather than the hollow point, but that is just a personal preference. The important thing is that you do the research to determine what you can expect form your ammunition and do not just assume that it will expand just because it is a hollow point.

Find something that is designed for your purpose, that works well in your rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I keep a couple of twenty round PMags loaded up with 64gr Speer Gold Dots in the event that a rifle needs to be employed for home defense... they're technically "soft points" though.
Side note: these are also what our local LEO's keep loaded in their patrol rifles.

Reactions: molleur

·
Registered
214 Posts
A good example of this is the Sierra MatchKing BTHP bullets. These are great for accuracy, but will not expand.
That's a bit too categorical. They are not specifically designed to expand, but they may expand just fine. In fact, I have pulled samples (of that bullet) out of dead coyotes that expanded just as well as one could ever hope of any bullet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Load her up with soft points and you are good, many use Hornady TAP ammo....as do I.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That's a bit too categorical. They are not specifically designed to expand, but they may expand just fine. In fact, I have pulled samples (of that bullet) out of dead coyotes that expanded just as well as one could ever hope of any bullet.
arte710,
You are correct, I should not have said that it "will not expand". A better statement would be that it should not be expected to expand reliably.

A hollow point bullet that is designed for expansion generally has a thinner jacket and is not skived to promote expansion. As a result these bullets may or may not expand upon impact. This is why Sierra recommends against using this bullet for most hunting applications.

The GameKing and Varmiter, on the other hand are designed specifically for hunting and to expand reliably as long as they are within the recommended velocity range. The same thing holds true for other bullet manufacturers. A hollow point bullet designed for match accuracy may or may not perform as expected if you want expansion.

It is all about expectations. If you want something to perform as expected, make sure that you have done your homework and are using for its intended purpose. If you are using it for something that it was not designed for, it may or may not suit your needs.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I've not seen hollow points for .223/5.56.

As the previous poster suggested they do have ballistic tips and there are also soft lead tips available.
I have both hollow point and soft point factory ammo for my AR-15's. I would suggest soft point if you want expandable ammo. The hollow point orifice is very small in this round.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
M855 62gr. modern A2 family ammunition does have a steel penetrator tip, but will also reliably fragment. There is also the M855A1, which is a debatable improvement/sacrifice in performance. I have no use for it.
M193 55gr. A1 family ammunition is lighter, faster, and in my opinion, better for medium size target self defense. It breaks apart when penetrating drywall. I like everything about this for hd/sd

I use a controlled expansion 74gr Winchester round for small bodied white tail inside 125 yards. It has reliable penetration and enough expansion to cause a fatal and ethical wound channel. I would not grab it first for hd. Fragmenting M193 has a much greater impact on the target.

So, no, I would not use hollow point or soft tip due to increased wall penetration, and the superior fragmenting/wounding of M193.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
https://www.ar15.com/ammo/

The 77 grain SMK does very well for terminal ballistics out of a 1:7 twist barrel. That's actually what I have in mine right now.

All of this. Hollow points, fragmentation, wall penetration, etc, has been argued ad nauseum on these forums.

I hate my neighbors so I keep a magazine of 62 grain steel core tracers handy, too. :biggrin:

Edit: I'm joking about the magazine of tracers.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Look for something with the Sierra 55 grain blitz King. It's a nasty little bullet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Anything from the Speer Gold Dot line will serve you well. I would suggest going with a full jacketed soft point or ballistic tip bullet. FMJ wouldn't be my first choice.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I recently went though a lengthy research process in choosing a home defense load for my AR. It was daunting, there is a TON of info out there, and a TON of opinions. Step one in my opinion is to evaluate your setup and needs. Do you live in a heavily populated area or in the country? Do you live with other family members or alone? What's your max distance you would potentially shoot in a self defense scenario, and what is the layout/construction of your residence.

For me, I live out in the country in a solid wood and concrete home with no children or neighbors. I determined that I actually would benefit from a barrier blind Ammo, vs many people wanting fragmenting Ammo. I want my rounds to penetrate if a bad guy is returning fire behind a wall in my home, and since I have no neighbors to worry about, if the rounds penetrate too far and exit the home, there is no danger. I also have a plan to retreat into a fortified section of the home if attacked, with three of the 4 walls made up of solid concrete.

Your situation most likely is different, requiring different Ammo. . .

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I recently went though a lengthy research process in choosing a home defense load for my AR. It was daunting, there is a TON of info out there, and a TON of opinions. Step one in my opinion is to evaluate your setup and needs. Do you live in a heavily populated area or in the country? Do you live with other family members or alone? What's your max distance you would potentially shoot in a self defense scenario, and what is the layout/construction of your residence.

For me, I live out in the country in a solid wood and concrete home with no children or neighbors. I determined that I actually would benefit from a barrier blind Ammo, vs many people wanting fragmenting Ammo. I want my rounds to penetrate if a bad guy is returning fire behind a wall in my home, and since I have no neighbors to worry about, if the rounds penetrate too far and exit the home, there is no danger. I also have a plan to retreat into a fortified section of the home if attacked, with three of the 4 walls made up of solid concrete.

Your situation most likely is different, requiring different Ammo. . .
Live with wife wife and daughter and my closest neighbors are about 100 feet. Realistic max distance is probably 50 feet in the house and if across the property 250 feet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Live with wife wife and daughter and my closest neighbors are about 100 feet. Realistic max distance is probably 50 feet in the house and if across the property 250 feet.
Copy that, and I assume Sheetrock walls? Then you want fragmenting, non barrier blind ammo, that will fragment and not penetrate very far. Next figure out if your gun can handle 5.56. Then what your barrel twist rate is. Once you have that info, go here and pick your Ammo: https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/. Sorry if linking to other forums is a no-no, feel free to delete that part. I think some of the best non-barrier blind Ammo out there is the Federal Fusion, that is some great stuff!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts