Defensive Carry banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
, I've notice that when I press down on the Native to cut through nylon ropes and cords, I can feel the blade moving, like the lock doesn't hold securely. Ahhh - I should have posted that in the knife forum - maybe I'll do that.
Most spine-locks, I've found, do not have a tightly squared "lock-block" that drops into a tightly squared lock-notch in the blade. There is a slight amount of slop, that allows the lock to function with basic care(grunge space). What that means is that between the pivot pin specs, lock-notch, and lock-block, it may add up to almost .010 of "slop"- which gives you that play, with strong downward pressure. The same thing will happen with a liner-lock, you just won't notice, until you go to close it, and the liner is really wedged in place!

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Thanks, that makes sense.

I haven't noticed that on other knives and I did the same cut with my Commander and it didn't do that, well that I noticed anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry. but for a defence knife. I'd rather plunge a cheap 16" piece of steel in a body rather than $100+ 3.25"-4" blade. Good home defence has no price tag.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Well, if all you want is a display piece, I guess that's OK. Just about any sharpened piece of metal will work as a shiv but if I'm seriously depending on it as a life saver I'm going to look at the design first. Also, for that kind of money I want a well-designed knife and there are quite a few better choices with superb functionallity.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Well, if all you want is a display piece, I guess that's OK. Just about any sharpened piece of metal will work as a shiv but if I'm seriously depending on it as a life saver I'm going to look at the design first.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
For less than a 20 dollar bill you can a get a Mora fixed blade knife! Not a fantasy knife, but good inexpensive solid choice that sharpens easy and is not junk! (They actually function as a decent all purpose kitchen or camp knife as well!) Hands down the Mora is better quality than a Frost any day of the week & twice on Sunday!:)

Reactions: Hoganbeg

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Wow, talk about a zombie thread!

Frost is just a hop, skip, and jump from where I live. Other than the fact their store also sells a wide range of quality knives from other manufacturers (Benchmade for example), I have had no compulsion to visit their facility.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts