Defensive Carry banner

Are Glocks now vintage?

• No. Ain't nothing made from plastic ever gonna be 'vintage'!

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No....was it invented by JMB? No? Then 'NO'.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Glocks are ugly; doesn't matter how long they've been around, they ain't vintage.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Yes, vintage....and they shoot like that.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but not in a good way......

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Yes, Glocks are the new 1911.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • It's too soon to say....y'all need to be more patient.

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It dawned on me that Glocks have been around for nearly 40 years....... Is perfection now vintage?

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,889 Posts
I have owned several Glocks in the past. I currently only own one. It is a 5.3" Glock G35 .40 S&W. My other plastic fantastic handguns are 4.5" Springfield Amory XDMs in . 40 S&W and 10mm. They are ugly and will never be vintage or classic guns. I carry one or two of them for the extra capacity on trips to Portland to visit my wife's elderly relatives.

My preferred carry is a 1911 which has been a classic for over 100 years.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
Vintage is applicable to wines when it comes to quality but tends to be a reference of age when it’s applied to most other things. Now, has Glock reached the Classic stage?....... never in my book, nor will any striker fired handguns (including the ones that I like) ......BUT there are plenty of folks that would disagree. That’s why we don’t use our real names and supply home addresses.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah....but they've been around for nearly 40 years now....

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
I consider "vintage firearms" to be those designed or made before I was. Glock is NOT "vintage", by MY definition.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Reactions: svgheartland

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
Yeah....but they've been around for nearly 40 years now....
Oh I won’t argue that. And I’ll go so far as to say that they changed the game and set the standard for an entirely new style/design of firearm. That’s not an easy thing to accomplish. They will be classics or are classics for many, just not for me. A 64 VW is a classic, a 2004 VW is not, though it’s been around a long while. For us .....er, vintage folks, we tend to look for the “heart and soul” of the things we grew up with. When I think Glock, I don’t think of the smell of wood smoke and gun oil and the feel of select walnut in hand or a superior blueing on a revolver .....that, to me, is classic. (yeah, I know.....don’t confuse nostalgia with classic and/or vintage). However, I think experiences are what lead us to categorize something as classic. I also believe that that is generational thinking and I couldn’t hold my 31 YO son to the same definition of classic, or vintage, as I imagine. Wouldn’t matter if I did. Folks need to ring their own bell. And we’ll die off soon enough and the rules will change.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Praise be to God...NO!
Cool! Just "jack'n with you"! 😂 @svgheartland pretty much summed up my feelings. I like Glock's I own 5. As to mine, I kind of think of them in same light I do my AR pistols. AR platform is older than Glock, & I'm just now feeling that "an original version AR" could be vintage.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm looking for a Gen 1 to add to my collection, not hard to find, but hard to find at a good price in the right condition.
1st Generation Glocks are going for 1500+ with all original components.
Like it or not, it certainly fits my definition of a vintage collectable firearm.

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
I'm looking for a Gen 1 to add to my collection, not hard to find, but hard to find at a good price in the right condition.
Like it or not, it certainly fits my definition of a vintage collectable firearm.
Wish I’d bought eleventy seven of em back in 94. But I didn’t have any money and particularly at that time, they was alien, ugly and a little bit weird.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,889 Posts
I think someone misplaced decimal point. I would go up to $150 for a Gen 1 Glock.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Gaston IS vintage! His pistols.................not so much! 🧐

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My G30 is a Gen 1. Excellent pistol!

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
I've got a NIB G30s. It's a Gen 3 Glock, BUT that's "first generation of issue", SO I guess it's a 1st gen also????

·
Super Moderator
16,433 Posts
Wish I’d bought eleventy seven of em back in 94. But I didn’t have any money and particularly at that time, they was alien, ugly and a little bit weird.
And still are.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
It dawned on me that Glocks have been around for nearly 40 years....... Is perfection now vintage?
Gen 1 Glocks were already vintage 20 years ago.

Vintage = from more than 20 years ago.

Saying they’re vintage merely means they’re old, and doesn’t ascribe whether they were good or not.

·
Registered
34,765 Posts
Vintage = from more than 20 years ago.

Saying they’re vintage merely means they’re old, and doesn’t ascribe whether they were good or not.
So you're saying 1911s are just old, not good? Oooooh, I'm telling @OD* on you!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Probably vintage to those who have had to use them successfully.

Reactions: OD*
1 - 20 of 29 Posts