Defensive Carry banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I was at the range last Saturday. They also operate a LGS on site. Guy from Colorado and family on vacation was looking at guns, and they had one G43X and the guy was all excited and called out to his family about it. The salesman told him that in order to buy it, the store would have to ship it to an FFL in Colorado. Don't know if he bought it or not, as I went in to shoot, but I thought it very interesting in how excited he got over them having ONE in the store.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I certainly don't NEED any more firearms, nor ammo; I saw to it that my bases were all well-covered... years ago!

But there is one pistol that I've been wanting for quite awhile now, but got lazy and never acted on it, then China unleashed holy terror and economic destruction on the world... and I'm realizing that I'd better try to acquire it sooner rather than later. P320 .45 auto Full Size.

With the lemming's mad rush for 9mm pistols, I think manufacturers are focusing more on producing 9mm pistols. You'd think that no one wants to buy anything BUT a 9mm these days. :rolleyes: Crazy whacked. I don't want, nor need, any more 9mm.

I do think it may be wise to pick up a couple of 10-round mags for your favorite "larger-capacity" EDC pistols NOW, given the distinct possibility that we may have Biden/Harris running our country SOON.

I can see their first move be making possession of magazines with more than 10-round capacity a CRIME. At which time, you wouldn't want to be carrying around an EDC pistol with more than a 10-round mag. And that won't be the most opportune time to buy 10-round magazines, either. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
@Chaplain Scott I was looking at buying a Glock G40 before the insanity hit. They were all over and readily available. Now, they don't seem to exist as an item to buy. Certainly not at the prices pre-madness if you do see one for sale.

I can't even find my second option, a Springfield XDM full sized 10 MM, either now.

That's just trying to get the gun. Trying to get ammunition for a new caliber as well..

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Three out of Four places I have been have a good supply of Guns. Maybe not a big Variety. The big box Hunting Fishing Store called Finn Feather Fur, had ammo but, you can only get 1 or 2 box’s. The Range where I shoot said they have ammo but, it’s only sold to be shot at the Range. Another Shop I stopped at last month had very few guns. It was like a ghost town.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I was at my local Cabelas a few weeks ago. The only pistols were high end 1911's, some 22's and black powder pistols. SD Shotguns and Semi Auto rifles were also not in stock. Plenty of sporting shotguns and rifles though. As of a month ago, I saw quite a few 40 and 357 Sig autos in stock online, but that is because newbies stay away from those calibers.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I was at Scheel's Wednesday and their gun counter was pretty empty.
One 9mm, and a couple of Sig's in 40S&W and a few 22's. The revolver case wasn't much better. A couple of hunting/target guns and a few cheap 22's. No used handguns at all.
The long gun inventory was better as long as you looking for hunting/target guns. Nothing in the AR line at all. A couple overpriced AKS's that looked like they came out of a wet basement.
The only shotguns were high end sporting guns.

Ammo was scarce. No 9mm at all. 40S&W was in good supply. Didn't see any 45acp practice ammo, but a fair amount of SD stuff at $1.25+/round.
Rifle ammo seemed well stocked, but little higher price than normal.
Shotgun shells were very well stocked with almost anything you might want. Prices didn't seem too bad.

I picked up 3 boxes of 12g Winchester Defender "Stop the Threat" 1 oz slug and 3 "00" buck, $ 9.95/10rd. The regular price is $15.99. Been thinking about trying buck & ball in the JC Higgins shotgun that lives in my shop. Thinking it might make good coyote medicine. That shotgun is pretty good with Foster slugs, will put a couple rounds through it and see how they do.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
If those occur, I'm not really concerned about FMJ range ammo. I'm hoarding my good SD ammo, though, and buying some more as prices are basically the same as they were before.Seems to me it's mostly the range ammo that has skyrocketed in price and/or out of stock.
I've been able to accumulate plenty of SD ammo as well. I can comfortably shoot a mag or two as I want, but I've never shot it anywhere near as much as FMJ. As for SD ammo availability in general, it may well be the new gun owners aren't even aware of the wide range of ammo available OTHER than FMJ. The demand may not simply be there for the SD ammo like there is for FMJ. It is also likely they won't understand paying $1+ per round. I'm not fond of that either, but I have used Federal HST in the 50 round LE boxes at half the price of their SD HSTs. Those of us with experience and knowledge are at a distinct advantage over newbies to SD. And I suspect very few of the 3.5M new gun owners are on this forum either.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
@spclopr8tr -- Yep. It's fun to go blaze away a few boxes of range ammo, but those days are over for me; for now at least. I wasn't doing it much anymore even before the present shortage. If I get rusty and miss the 3 or 4 inch groups by a smidge, it hardly matters for combat accuracy.
Federal HST's are not available right now (that I can find), but Hornady American Gunner XTP, Gold Dot, and some other good SD rounds are available, and I already had quite a bit of very good HP ammo of various brands in .380., 9mm, .45, and .357.
Pistols? I'd like to buy a .38 snub and always lust after some new "wonder 9's," maybe a cool new .40 or .357 Sig, and such, but not right now!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I was in our little sporting goods store today and he has a bunch of single action revolvers, some high end 1911's and a handful of short barreled revolvers like the S&W 638, Charter Arms off duty and a couple of Tauri wheel guns.
What seems odd is he had several P365's in various models, a couple of Hellcats and Shields and Glock 48's and also some full size Springfields in 45 and 10mm as well as 2 brand new P250's in 9mm. He stocks Kimber so those in 45 and 40 are there as well.
Ok, he had 3 Highpoints too that are not flying off the shelves it seems.

He had a great price on Brenneke 12 gauge slugs so I grabbed 200 just because my shotgun is my go to long gun cause its what I have.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
"...my shotgun is my go to long gun cause its what I have. "
Same here. I just bought a good supply of Double-Aught Buck and a couple boxes of slug shells for my Mossberg 500. Pretty much same price as before the shortage.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
"...my shotgun is my go to long gun cause its what I have. "
Same here. I just bought a good supply of Double-Aught Buck and a couple boxes of slug shells for my Mossberg 500. Pretty much same price as before the shortage.
I have a few boxes of 00 but, I have not seen any available lately. That was a score.

·
Registered
824 Posts
But there is one pistol that I've been wanting for quite awhile now, but got lazy and never acted on it, then China unleashed holy terror and economic destruction on the world... and I'm realizing that I'd better try to acquire it sooner rather than later. P320 .45 auto Full Size.
I could be completely mistaken (happens daily :)), but I think I read somewhere that Sig was discontinuing the p320 in .45. If so, you definitely might want to pick one up as soon as you can.

That's one beef I have with Sig. They make some good guns (I love the classic p-series), but they seem to discontinue them pretty frequently...

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've bought two guns in the last few months: a Sig p229 CPO in .40 (got it online from CDNN Sports), and a Sig p365 (picked it up at a local gun store). Both were actually reasonably priced, and the lgs had a few of the more popular models in stock. But he did say that from what he was hearing from his distributors, once those sold, they were going to be hard for him to replace.

As far as ammo goes, it's hard to find anything locally. Definitely hit and miss. I keep my eyes on ammoseek regularly, but what's available is all pretty high right now. I wasn't into handguns the last time there was a serious ammo shortage, so I didn't learn the lesson of stocking up when it's cheap. Believe me, I've learned it now...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I could be completely mistaken (happens daily :)), but I think I read somewhere that Sig was discontinuing the p320 in .45. If so, you definitely might want to pick one up as soon as you can.

That's one beef I have with Sig. They make some good guns (I love the classic p-series), but they seem to discontinue them pretty frequently...
Yes, I just read that SIG discontinued all P320s in .45auto except the Compact model. No more full size model. o_O

SIG has clearly stated that they will be offering the P320 in 10mm, so if that's the case, I can't see them not making any in .45auto. They aren't likely to be selling a boat-load of 10mm P320s, either, but sell some they certainly will! I'm sure P320s in .45auto will outsell P320s in 10mm, but I'd love to have one in 10mm, too!

Reactions: mhl6493

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
even if you find guns ammo is scarce and double priced and like any market its got its highs and lows
If you are not well stocked then you did not learn anything from the Obama years

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
even if you find guns ammo is scarce and double priced and like any market its got its highs and lows
If you are not well stocked then you did not learn anything from the Obama years
Learned my lessons quite well during Obama's first term! So, fortunately, I'm in fine shape. But, that doesn't prevent me from wanting a particular pistol that I don't yet have.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Check out Gunauction. NIB G19 just sold for $538.00 and, a NIB G17 just sold for $513.00. Some deals are still out there.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts