Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kept seeing reports that this is not a reliable firearm, and that even so, you have to break it in with over 200 rounds. I was wondering if Kahr has fixed the latest batches coming out? If not, I may be going with the Ruger LCP Custom edition.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Kept seeing reports that this is not a reliable firearm, and that even so, you have to break it in with over 200 rounds. I was wondering if Kahr has fixed the latest batches coming out? If not, I may be going with the Ruger LCP Custom edition.
I've written a bunch about mine and I think it's very "field-reliable".

By that I mean that it will do what it needs to do - shoot a couple magazines of defensive ammo reliably and accurately from a cold and clean bore.

Mine does fine with all practice ammo including FMJ and RNFP, and feeds Hornady XTP, critical defense, and Speer Gold Dots without a hiccup.
I can get good hits on an 8-inch target up to 15 yards if I stretch it, and it's pinpoint accurate at 7. It's very light, concealable, and comfortable to shoot. The trigger is awesome. The sights kinda suck though.
For me it was never "unreliable". I stripped and cleaned it before its first range trip and it functions fine... to a point.

It will start getting FTFs if you shoot more than 3 mags rapidly and heat it up too much, or if you shoot >100 rounds without cleaning and lubrication. I think the tolerances are small in this small gun, and it just can't tolerate much insult. But I clean mine after every range session and I do not carry more than 1 spare mag if any so I don't think there'll be circumstance that I will be asking it to do something more than what it's capable of. I have different weapons for SHTF.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what is it about the Ruger LCP that is ultra-reliable on all ammo types? I'm not so sure I like the idea of a BUG to just be "field-reliable" and having to clear out stove pipes and such. Also is the more expensive P380 any different in terms of reliability?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
No experience with the CW380...but my son bought one of the new CT380's right after they came out in Nov of 2015...and it is rock solid reliable...and a very easy to shoot pocket gun. I have a LCP that is just as reliable...but is not nearly as shootable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always thought Kahr was reliable as well, but the youtube videos, and a few reports on this site say otherwise.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a CW380. I really like it but mine is also reliable within limits. Mine eats any ammo I put in it, and I don't have any problems when mine heats up. But it has to be clean. I never experience a failure within a 100 rounds or less fired between cleanings. I always experience a failure between 101 and 150 rounds between cleanings. It is very predictable, and thus reliable for me because I always clean it after each range session. So it works well for me. I picked it over the LCP because I liked he sights and trigger better as well as its ability to lock the slide back on the last round (thus the manual or arms is very similar to my larger pistols).

I will add this, you really need a stiff wrist. If you limp wrist it you will have problems. I had a Springfield XDS 45 and a M&P9c and never had problems with the way I held them but I had problems at first with my Kahr until I really firmed up my wrist. I think this is where many people (like those on Youtube) run into problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Kahrs are tight at first, I'll admit. But it's one of the smallest 380s out there, and in my opinion has the best sights for a pocket pistol. You should try and rent/shoot one if you can.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a CW380. I really like it but mine is also reliable within limits. Mine eats any ammo I put in it, and I don't have any problems when mine heats up. But it has to be clean. I never experience a failure within a 100 rounds or less fired between cleanings. I always experience a failure between 101 and 150 rounds between cleanings. It is very predictable, and thus reliable for me because I always clean it after each range session. So it works well for me. I picked it over the LCP because I liked he sights and trigger better as well as its ability to lock the slide back on the last round (thus the manual or arms is very similar to my larger pistols).

I will add this, you really need a stiff wrist. If you limp wrist it you will have problems. I had a Springfield XDS 45 and a M&P9c and never had problems with the way I held them but I had problems at first with my Kahr until I really firmed up my wrist. I think this is where many people (like those on Youtube) run into problems.
True, but it ain't designed to be a range gun :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Who knows? There's no way to tell with Kahrs. Not only can you not whittle it down to a certain batch, but you'd be hard pressed to boil it down to a few guns within a given batch. Guns are complicated, intricate machines with tiny, precision engineered parts.

Any gun can malfunction. But in my experience, Kahrs are prone to more inconsistency than some of the larger manufacturers. I own a CW380 and have put a lot of rounds through it. Do I completely trust it yet? Nope, can't say that I do. Would I buy another Kahr? Nope, probably wouldn't. Not when there are other high quality options out there.

For me personally, if I was looking for something as small and light as one of the .380's out there. Without hesitation, I would go with a small, lightweight revolver rated for .38+P in either S&W or Ruger flavor. Now, they too can malfunction, but the chances of that happening are minuscule compared to one of the micro .380's. Just a thought.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've had a Kahr P9 as my hot weather carry gun for over eight years and it's reliability has been perfect. It has just under 2,000 rounds fired through it and not one single malfunction of any kind. Kahr does recommend 200 rounds through their guns before they are considered reliable but the P9 didn't need it. I believe everyone with a brand new gun should fire several hundred rounds through it before trusting it to be carried for self defense.

I bought a new CW380 last month for a very specific carry purpose since it is a very small handgun. During the first range session with it I fired the 200 rounds as recommended by Kahr. First two magazines full I had one failure to fully eject in each magazine, both with flat nosed bullets. After that I fired the rest of the 200 rounds without incident. I used 100 rounds of flat point Winchester white box and 100 rounds of Federal Eagle FMJ round nose. After cleaning the gun thoroughly I left the slide locked back for several days.

During the second range session I fired 150 more rounds of the Federal Eagle and Speer Gold Dots with perfect results. This little thing is accurate and the live rounds plus plenty of dry firing has smoothed up the trigger nicely. The second session I also shot my Glock 42 side by side with the CW380. The G42 is a bigger gun and shoots well but the CW380 was very close in accuracy even though it was only the second time out for the Kahr. The sights on neither are anything to write home about but, for the intended purpose of these two guns the sights are adequate.

Funny thing about Kahr handguns is that I read about their erratic behavior on the internet but, when talking face to face with actual local Kahr owners either at the range or in the gun shops they are pleased with their Kahrs. I've yet to meet one who says they've had reliability problems. It's a puzzlement. For what it's worth, I had more trouble out of my two Gen 4 Glock 19s when they were new than I've had out of my P9 or this little CW380 so far.

I am not "brand loyal" to Kahr or any other maker of guns, cars, shoes or anything else. I buy only what I like and what works for me regardless of who makes it. These are the only two Kahr pistols I've owned, but my experience so far has been good. I'm taking the CW380 to the range again tomorrow and will be surprised if my results are anything except good.

For what it's worth.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've had a Kahr P9 as my hot weather carry gun for over eight years and it's reliability has been perfect. It has just under 2,000 rounds fired through it and not one single malfunction of any kind. Kahr does recommend 200 rounds through their guns before they are considered reliable but the P9 didn't need it. I believe everyone with a brand new gun should fire several hundred rounds through it before trusting it to be carried for self defense.

I bought a new CW380 last month for a very specific carry purpose since it is a very small handgun. During the first range session with it I fired the 200 rounds as recommended by Kahr. First two magazines full I had one failure to fully eject in each magazine, both with flat nosed bullets. After that I fired the rest of the 200 rounds without incident. I used 100 rounds of flat point Winchester white box and 100 rounds of Federal Eagle FMJ round nose. After cleaning the gun thoroughly I left the slide locked back for several days.

During the second range session I fired 150 more rounds of the Federal Eagle and Speer Gold Dots with perfect results. This little thing is accurate and the live rounds plus plenty of dry firing has smoothed up the trigger nicely. The second session I also shot my Glock 42 side by side with the CW380. The G42 is a bigger gun and shoots well but the CW380 was very close in accuracy even though it was only the second time out for the Kahr. The sights on neither are anything to write home about but, for the intended purpose of these two guns the sights are adequate.

Funny thing about Kahr handguns is that I read about their erratic behavior on the internet but, when talking face to face with actual local Kahr owners either at the range or in the gun shops they are pleased with their Kahrs. I've yet to meet one who says they've had reliability problems. It's a puzzlement. For what it's worth, I had more trouble out of my two Gen 4 Glock 19s when they were new than I've had out of my P9 or this little CW380 so far.

I am not "brand loyal" to Kahr or any other maker of guns, cars, shoes or anything else. I buy only what I like and what works for me regardless of who makes it. These are the only two Kahr pistols I've owned, but my experience so far has been good. I'm taking the CW380 to the range again tomorrow and will be surprised if my results are anything except good.

For what it's worth.
Update to the CW380:

I've made a couple more trips to the range to shoot other guns and ended each range session with more rounds through the CW380. Another hundred + rounds through the little gun shooting mostly American Eagle with a few Gold Dots scattered throughout. No other jams of any kind. It just shoots and cycles like it is supposed to.

My routine is to load the magazine full, insert it into the gun and drop the slide using the slide release. Remove the magazine and top it off with the sixth round before reinserting into the gun and firing away. The only negative I've experienced after the first two magazines I shot in the gun is that it does not lock back after the last round. I'm not sure if that is the gun's fault or mine. I wear size large in gloves and although my hands aren't ham sized I may be riding the slide release. It's a very small gun and you don't have a lot to hold on to.

Fun to shoot and I'm liking it so far. For what it's worth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts