Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry every day. I hear about some that get out and shoot constantly. They get hundreds of rounds in a month. Now myself, I have five handguns that I rotate between. I do not, however, get out to the range more than two or maybe three times a year, max and get about 50 rounds through each firearm at max during each outing. I have children in sports during all seasons, own a business, work one other job, and to top it off, the nearest range is a long distance away from me.

Is there anyone else in the same position? I am plenty comfortable firing any of my firearms at distances out to 25 yards, I can keep them all on target.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I go in spurts. I will admit that due to family health issues and work I haven't been to the range in over 6 months.
My window of opportunity closes all too often it seems. But I have to make time soon. My grandnephew wants to go to the range. He is 9. Going to introduce him to his great-great grandfathers 22 cal. Remington Sportsmaster.
Already drilling him on gun safety.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Yup. I feel your pain...

Life happens. Full time job (sometimes out of town), hour each way commute, two kids with activities, house projects, family obligations- Range time is precious.

My solution is lots of drawing from holster practice and dry firing with snap caps. Despite what the interwebz say, you don't need to fire 500 rds a week on a DEVGRU training regimen to be effective in a defensive encounter.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I carry every day. I hear about some that get out and shoot constantly. They get hundreds of rounds in a month. Now myself, I have five handguns that I rotate between. I do not, however, get out to the range more than two or maybe three times a year, max and get about 50 rounds through each firearm at max during each outing. I have children in sports during all seasons, own a business, work one other job, and to top it off, the nearest range is a long distance away from me.

Is there anyone else in the same position? I am plenty comfortable firing any of my firearms at distances out to 25 yards, I can keep them all on target.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
If you are keeping them all on the target at 25 yards you are doing ok. Course that depends on the size of the target lol I rotate Glock 17, 19, 26, 42, Ruger LC9s and upon rare occasions DW 1911. I shoot pretty much every week but usually just take 2 at a time. Seems like if you can shoot one well you can shoot all of them. Shootins shootin.

Course I also shoot my SIRT every day and practice drawing it. Nonetheless with my eyes and trembling I'm not getting any better. Just trying to hang on to what I once had.

·
Banned
35 Posts
I try for at least twice a month. Indoor range about 20 minutes away or the outdoor range at my gun club. Rotate firearms between several long guns and hand guns. Typical session is one to two hours. It is easier now being semi retired and my wife still working weekdays.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I'm not one of the lucky ones who have a range in their backyard, or public land that they can shoot on. I typically go to the local range maybe 4 or so times a year, but I shoot a few hundred rounds through the firearms that tagged along.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am fortunate to have a big enough back yard to shoot bb guns and i have several styles and sizes of handguns i bought , some were pretty expensive and some weren't . The one i use most is a daisy from Walmart that only cost 19 bucks or so . I have a pretty good shooting gallery set up , cans hanging from tree branches , paper targets and a few metal spinner targets from walmart also ,Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get by and i have fun with it . Maybe it`s something you could look into if it`s an option ?

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
When I was younger, I had the time, but didn't have the money. Now I have the money, but don't seem to have the time. I only get out 1-2x per month. I'd like to go much more often than I do.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I try for a couple times a month but, I shoot on the National Forest so winter weather sometimes shuts me down. I will shoot at 20 degrees or above as long as its not snowing and/or windy. Anything under 20 and I need gloves so I don't shoot. Nearest indoor range is an hours drive and I don't like spending the money on it.

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
865 Posts
I usually shoot at a very nice indoor range only 7 miles from my house at least once a week. I have a yearly membership so although I pay one time a year it doesn't cost money out of my pocket each time I go. I shoot a Glock 17, 30 and a S&W MP 22 Compact. Usually shoot 100 rounds fairly slow in about an hour checking my targets often for my hits. It is great that my wife is very supportive of my shooting and ammo purchases!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Work and my wife's health issues prohibit me from doing much shooting. I live in town and don't know any body with a farm or outdoor acreage that would let me shoot on their property. That leaves the indoor range as my only option. The indoor range is usually busy and it's not uncommon to have a 45 minute to an hour wait. Dry fire practice helps and those laser training systems are tempting!

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I can only shoot at an outdoor range and haven't been out since last November. When the weather warms up enough, it's still a crap shoot. It seems to always rain when I have the time to go. When I do finally get out, I usually run between 250 to 500 rounds to make up for lost time.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I don't get out as often as I would like. More due to cost than time. I have the privilege of having my own range behind the grove.
What I lack in number of rounds I try to make up for in structured practice rather than just sending rounds down range. Make the most of the time you have.

JMHO

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Time and money constrain me - if I get out every other month for a session at the indoor range or out in the woods, I feel lucky.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
I used to go once a week now it seems it once a month, twice on a good month.
Same here. Due to health issues. But I shoot more rounds now when I do go than when I went more often, so it sort of evens out. I hope.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
I am another with health issues (my back goes out more often than I do) but I am now in physical therapy and am seeing some improvement. Hopefully it won’t be long until I can shoot at least 2-4 times a month.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I don't think you need to expend large quantities of ammunition to maintain proficiency with your firearm. In fact, just throwing a lot of lead downrange seems to yield diminishing return for my effort and expense. I like to shoot small quantities of ammo in practice and do it frequently. My shooting ranges are within minutes of where I live which makes this system possible for me.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts