Votes: 11 9.3%
  • I've lost count

Votes: 21 17.8%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to a recent Harvard university study, summarized in the article linked below in the L.A. Times, half the firearms in the U.S. are owned by just 3% of the owners. And, if you own more than 17 firearms, they are what they term a "super-owner". I think these figures are pretty inaccurate. I know that between hunting rifles, a carbine, shotguns, and handguns, I don't even qualify as a "super-owner" (despite what my wife might say). So the question is, how many firearms of all types do you own (not counting those that fell over the side of your boat)?

Half the firearms in the U.S. are owned by 3% of adults, and that means trouble for the NRA - LA Times

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I wondered about the source of data that was used in the study. Since the government can't keep records on gun ownership and many people aren't going to answer questions honestly, how do you conduct a survey?

·
Super Moderator
20,153 Posts
I think I'm a super guy and I'm a gun owner - does that make me a super owner of guns?

No disrespect intended, but a poll like this is like asking a Texas rancher how many acres or head of cattle he owns. Just isn't done in polite company.

·
Super Moderator
20,153 Posts
I wondered about the source of data that was used in the study. Since the government can't keep records on gun ownership and many people aren't going to answer questions honestly, how do you conduct a survey?
I think you'll get inflated numbers from the armchair warriors and spec-ops wannabes, and either a "I politely decline to answer" or a vague answer from the more thoughtful, wary types.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Your highest option maxed out when I was about 20 that was a life time ago. You need to add a another place holder.
The study is flawed. Nearly everyone I know owns a weapon or more. There are far more weapons in this country than any of the clowns know of

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Easy, they conduct it in a way to get the results they want. They want to paint gun ownership as being taboo and out of the mainstream... I find it hard to believe, especially with the uptick in conceal carry licenses being issued, that half the firearms in the US are owned by only 3% of the population. Plus, you're right, there's no way they could know this or keep track...

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
I don't own any guns, but if I did, I'd probably be part of the super owner crowd, or at least close to it depending on the day.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I don't own any firearms.

All posts I've made on this forum are purely for discussion of theoretical situations...

Educational and entertainment purposes only.

:hand15:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sorry, I don't own any guns. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
931 Posts
1. How old are you?

2. How much do you weigh?

3. How much money do you make?

4. How many guns do you have?

All totally inappropriate / rude questions to ask. :embarassed:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I've never imagined myself a "super" ANYthing. Yet I am one of the last shooters/gun-enthusiasts of a old, rural Kentucky family. And, I too, have grown old. So many of the extended-family's guns, without interested direct-heirs, have funneled into my gun safe(s). It is a terrible, TERRIBLE burden to bear. :biggrin2:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts