Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
I have been way, way too outspoken most of my life. It's gotten me in a lot of trouble. There is no question my life would have been a lot better if I had learned to control my tongue. And in retrospect, my outspokenness hardly ever changes things for the better. It was just letting off steam.

What I try to do now, not always successfully, is to give my opinion diplomatically if someone asks for it, or is in immediate danger for the lack of it and I care what happens to them. I will speak out for effect, such as in a VCDL political event, but other than that, I try to keep my mouth shut.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
I run a 60 year old + "three piece patch" motorcycle club. Those here, that have been "around", with respect to M/C club's, will catch my drift. I'll let you figure it out. Posting my "daily carry here, with out regret", should "seal the deal, on what I care about criticism".

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
What's right to you may not be right to someone else. Could be dependent on political spin. These days I'm more cautious about what I say or post. Posting is safer because I have more time to try to figure out all the different spins on what I wrote and modify accordingly before posting. Sometimes I don't get it right. :eek:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have always stood up for what I thought was right. I lack of the capability of backing up. This affliction has started some Interesting conversations with my coworkers/supervisors over the years.

·
Premium Member
33,809 Posts
Are you afraid to speak up? Throughout my life, I have gotten into trouble for speaking up. I still speak up. I am incapable of sitting back and not taking action.

I've always been of a mind that if you don't want my opinion, don't bring up the subject.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
That is a funny question for someone who spent several hours every week for 40+ years standing in front of large groups of people, telling them what they don't like to hear, and doing it with the purpose of leading them to water and getting them to drink.

The most unbelievable part was standing at the door as they went their way and having them tell me, "Great sermon, pastor." Nonsense. Some of them would have stoned me on the spot, had we left enough rocks lying around! 😟

So no. I've never been afraid to speak my mind. Language skills are sometimes the only thing standing between you and lots of pain. An example of that is the phrase, "political spin" which is modern day jibberish for "bald faced lie."

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Contrary to what many believe the world is black and white, right or wrong. I speak my mind when it matters. Have paid a high price for it at times. No job is worth sacrificing your values or character for.
Reminds me of a t-shirt I had: :D
(My opinion on forums too)

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
As a matter of fact, I do not always speak up. I bite my tongue often. People take your words out of context, possibly on purpose, and seek to find a reason to be offended. Am I making a larger social statement if I enjoy the Eskimo Pie that has now rebranded over concerns of racism? Can't I just like chocolate covered ice cream? (I really don't understand the controversy over Eskimo Pie, but I don't think my employer will fire me over ice cream)

Look what happened to a nearly 30-year veteran of the Harris County DA's office that was made an example of (from the Houston Chronicle):

HOUSTON (AP) — A longtime top Houston area prosecutor resigned Monday after posting a meme on Facebook that appeared to equate Nazis with people who have been participating in protests in the wake of George Floyd’s death.

Kaylynn Williford, who was head of the trial bureau at the Harris County District Attorney’s Office, last week posted the meme that shows a black and white picture of a wooden box full of weddings bands that were removed from Holocaust victims. A caption above the photo reads in part, “Each ring represents a destroyed family. Never forget, Nazis tore down statues. Banned free speech. Blamed economic hardships on one group of people. Instituted gun control. Sound familiar?”

Various area attorneys had questioned whether the post was derogatory of the Black Lives Matter movement and if it might be racist. “It’s in very poor taste given the context of what’s happening socially around the country,” said Mauro Beltramini, a Houston criminal defense attorney. “Something like this could cast doubt on things that the district attorney’s office is doing.”

Williford said in a statement she never intended to offend the Black Lives Matter movement. Williford said what she had “interpreted as a post that promoted tolerance was taken in a completely different manner.” “I have spent my career defending the rights not only of victims but those wrongfully accused,” she said. “If you truly knew me, you would know I never meant anything malicious in sharing a Facebook post ... I can only say I am sorry for hurt this had made in the African American or Jewish communities."

In an email sent to employees Monday, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg said her office “stands for equal justice” and it “has zero tolerance for racism in any shape or form. While implicit in our work, let us be together in the fight for tolerance and equality of all in everything we do, both in the workplace and in all aspects of our lives.”
Does the tolerance DA Kim Ogg is talking in the paragraph just above extend to people with different opinions? Should Ms. Williford lose her employment over this? Do you think Ms. Williford had the option to stay? Doesn't this have a chilling effect on free speech?

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
What's right to you may not be right to someone else. Could be dependent on political spin. These days I'm more cautious about what I say or post. Posting is safer because I have more time to try to figure out all the different spins on what I wrote and modify accordingly before posting. Sometimes I don't get it right. :eek:
No disrespect intended but this is exactly what is wrong in America today. There isn’t a “person’s truth.” There is only what is and what isn’t. If more kids were properly parented and taught right from wrong we wouldn’t have this mess and lawlessness. That is right for everyone.

·
Premium Member
7,164 Posts
I am known for speaking up and for standing up for my beliefs. I never got very far in the corporate world because of that. Having my own business worked much better for me.

There was ONE organization's board on which I served for a number of years that was run properly: Everyone had his or her say, and then either consensus or a vote settled the matter with no hard feelings on the part of the loser(s). That is the only group I've seen like that, and the interesting thing is that the board was composed of mostly liberals. But that was over 15 years ago and I bet anything the atmosphere at the board meetings is RADICALLY different now.

Bullies come in all forms. Some are liberal and some are conservative. If you and other like minded people do not stand up and speak loudly and clearly they will run everything.............right into the ground!

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
No disrespect intended but this is exactly what is wrong in America today. There isn’t a “person’s truth.” There is only what is and what isn’t. If more kids were properly parented and taught right from wrong we wouldn’t have this mess and lawlessness. That is right for everyone.
I am of the opinion that the main ingredient lacking in all modern public education is basic understanding of what is true and what isn't.

I had a physics teacher in High School who started me along that path with a demonstration of what people meant when they said, "Oh it doesn't matter. I can pour water into a beaker of acid." Such people were ignoramuses who had no understanding that acid is hygroscopic. Truth or untruth...get acid in your beaker or acid in your hair.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
It's just like platforms like youtube, facebook, etc where they're censoring anyone that they don't like. So, I told Google that I'm terminating my Google account until they get an "attitude adjustment". They probably won't miss a single user but if people do a mass exodus that'll get their attention.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
The older I get, the less I'm inclined to CARE about whether my opinion is wanted or accepted.
I say what I mean and mean what I say. 73 years of experience has to count for something!
(Wife thinks I'm crazy)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I could have retired from the local Sheriff dept 2 years ago if I would have not opened my mouth. Ever been "investigated" by your own dept cause you pissed the boss off?? Ehhhh the Sgt that didnt get fired like I did was caught having sex with a female inmate and the sheriff got busted for the usual South Texas shenanigans taking money from the drug dealers.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Having ADBCDEFG, you would have to shoot me dead to get me to shut up.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Part of the reason my wife wants me retired is I am not PC in any way. She thinks some offended snowflake will target me eventually.
Yesterday a liberal female coworker thought "Flavortown" was a nice name being considered for Columbus,Ohio.
I told her it " Sounds like a place you better keep an eye on your kid least they get snatched by a pedophile".
I got that horribly offended liberal glare.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts