Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
The only time I've ever been "made", I wasn't even carrying!

A couple years ago, I went to a gun show in LC, and I was wearing a Sig T-shirt. It just happened that a musician friend of mine was performing at the same site that day, in a different part of the complex, so I walked over to catch the show. The hall where the music was playing had a "No Guns" sign.

After a few minutes, I was approached by two cops who said they'd "had a report" that I was carrying a gun in the concert hall, and they asked me if I was armed. I said "No". They said OK, and left.

With hindsight, I thought of quite a few responses I could have offered, but with more hindsight, it's probably just as well that I didn't. :yup:

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
So my question is barring a major wardrobe malfunction do people get "made" that frequently? Is it really a thing?
My guess is, generally no. Most people don't notice even openly-carried sidearms, at least not from what I've witnessed here in AZ. I frequently keep an eye open for signs of concealed carry. mostly for amusement purposes.

·
Banned
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
My guess is, generally no. Most people don't notice even openly-carried sidearms, at least not from what I've witnessed here in AZ. I frequently keep an eye open for signs of concealed carry. mostly for amusement purposes.
I was prompted to start this thread by the YouTube video that I referenced in the first post. I've considered linking to it but since I'm speaking in a derogatory manner about the guy I am not sure that's the right thing to do and I probably won't.

I'm not sure how to clearly communicate what I'm thinking. Most of the time when somebody thinks that they've caught somebody out carrying a gun they really don't have any way to verify it so they don't ever really know if they were right or not.
But in this case we know that the people were right because the YouTuber verified that they caught him.

So the first thing I thought was he must have been phenomenally bad at concealing that day if some random person who he gave the impression wasn't somebody that knew what to look for got it right on the first guess.

That led me to wonder how common is this? I mean other than that one time that's never happened to me. The only exception would be times when I was doing security for the church and somebody would ask me if I was carrying a gun but that's a situation where it's a pretty pretty reasonable guess.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
I don't think you read the opening post. The person I'm talking about was so obvious that some random soccer mom walk up to him in Walmart and ask him if he's carrying a gun. That's not paranoia, that's stupidity.
I just watched a YouTube video in which the YouTuber tells us he's shopping at Walmart with his family when he notices two people (random couple not thugs) following him. Eventually he asks them if there's something he can help them with and they tell him they noticed the bulge and were trying to figure out it was a gun or not. He tells them it's a colostomy bag and that's the end of the video.
I read the OP alright. Just how obvious was it? Did the video show the bulge? Care to post the video for my education?

·
Banned
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I read the OP alright. Just how obvious was it? Did the video show the bulge? Care to post the video for my education?
I think I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that the guy who originally posted the video was paranoid but it occurs to me that you might have been trying to say that the people in Walmart who (correctly) accused the guy of carrying a gun were paranoid.

I don't think I'm going to post the video . It's just him sitting in his car talking anyway.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Excuse me sir, I noticed you are open carrying or printing.
Do you post on gun forums?
Yes.
Great!
When you get a chance, please post that somebody noticed or said something so to help reduce posting of either cliche.
Thanks.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
283 Posts
I work in an office and got caught last week, after carrying every day for years. I had my g19 IWB and was wearing a shirt that had shrunk (or maybe I got bigger) and was a little too short. We were sitting in a meeting and when I got up he motioned for me to cover my gun. Thankfully he's a cool dude and nothing more came of it. I thanked him later.

I've also been "made" twice playing in a band, because the guitar strap can pin my shirt high when I bend over. Thankfully this is Alabama.

I have also seen people carrying concealed, and I didn't say anything.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
My point isn't so much if people who know what to look for spot you as it is how poorly do you have to be concealing before some random soccer mom figures it out?
With just random contact, I would be very easy to conceal. But the more time you spend with people The more chances you will show a tell, have your shirt ride up, bump into a desk, etc.... That's why deep concealment at work is so much harder than concealing out in public. DR

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
In my case, I just don’t care enough to look for it.
Same here, unless some activity sets off the spidy for some reason. WGAS whether someone is carrying a gun or not unless some activity they are exhibiting warrants it.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
No one’s asked me in 20 years. I don’t tell anyone I’m carrying. I really like the two suggestions, “it’s my ostomy bag”, or “tell me why it’s your business to ask”. Like OldVet’s, my state doesn’t require deep concealment and, in fact, allows open carry. I prefer to be in the “never tell” group and not print at all.

My wife, son and brother know I carry. No one has called me out on it and I don’t think anyone has noted it. My everyday garb is a t-shirt over work shorts, and my dress-up is a golf shirt over shorts that are maybe a tad cleaner. With just a little attention to my posture there’s zero printing except when I sit. My son made me when I was slouched in a lawn chair a few weeks ago. I straightened my posture just to show it doesn’t show.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The only time anyone has said anything was when I was carrying my spare mag in a cargo pants open top pocket (clipped in to it). She asked me what it was. I told her it was a spare magazine for my gun. She knows I have a permit, and I didn't see much point in saying it was something it wasn't. Her husband also has a permit, but for whatever reasons (probably her), he doesn't carry except when he goes to visit college friends out of state.

If I've been made other times, I am not aware of it.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
People have asked me what is the bulge under your shirt? I showed them phone, flashlight, multi tool, and pepper spray. One Snub is in my pocket the other is in appendix carry I don’t show that.

·
Registered
572 Posts
People have asked me what is the bulge under your shirt? I showed them phone, flashlight, multi tool, and pepper spray. One Snub is in my pocket the other is in appendix carry I don’t show that.
Good approach. I was once asked what's in my bag, and I proceeded to slowly pull things out and describe their function.

"And this here is my GPS. It's not like most modern units, which just show the highways. No. Here, let me show you..." I pick it up and turn it on. "Takes about two minutes to boot up fully, but when it does, I'll walk you through the menu system so you can see..."

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

·
Banned
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
But who was asking you? Was it some random stranger who walked up to in Walmart or somebody who at least knew you?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
It is people that know me. I can’t remember a stranger ever saying anything. With all the stuff people carry these days, and with everybody looking at their phone most of the time, I doubt anyone would really notice or care.

·
Banned
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It is people that know me. I can’t remember a stranger ever saying anything. With all the stuff people carry these days, and with everybody looking at their phone most of the time, I doubt anyone would really notice or care.

Did you watch the video?

41 - 60 of 94 Posts