Defensive Carry banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
And then they call the cops and report a crazy man with a gun.
And 99% of the people in this world are too concerned w/ the phones or some-such other worthless trivia to even notice what is going on around them. They live at Condition White.

I have carried a large-frame handgun concealed for 45-years w/o a problem. I never get concerned about nothing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
1968 in Benin, West Africa. In those days there was no problem in moving your handgun from the small of your back to your carry on and back again, depending on the search location. Anyway, I had flown from NYC to Benin ( Dahomey before the name change). The flight was a long one, too much cognac plus a head cold. Switched my Walther from my bag to the small of my back, left the plane, went through customs. My boss met me when my bags were released. He was with a friend, a local police constable. I distinctly remember bending over to pick up my bags. I was wearing a lightweight suit . I knew at that moment that the pistol at the small of my back would be visible as the material stretched over my back. As I straightened up, here comes the constable with a no-no look on his face. Luckily, my boss saw what had happened and got it straightened out. Understandably, I walked on egg shells for a while. Realistically, most of us carried handguns during that period, as some of the locals were not friendly.

·
Banned
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
And 99% of the people in this world are too concerned w/ the phones or some-such other worthless trivia to even notice what is going on around them. They live at Condition White.
Did you watch the video? Apparently, some random people in Walmart did notice the guy was carrying a gun and they did question him about it. If they were concerned enough to ask him I would guess that they'd be concerned enough to call the police if he had answered them in a belligerent manner. And yes, I am aware the videographer wasn't doing anything illegal or even wrong but avoiding unnecessary interactions with the police is generally a good thing.

I never get concerned about nothing.
Then you must get concerned about something

·
Registered
690 Posts
I usually carry IWB or shoulder holster. I have yet to be made that I am aware of. A commander size 1911 or a Ruger SR9c are both easily concealed.

·
Registered
393 Posts
People who carry themselves are the ones most likely to spot others who do but people in general are oblivious.
This.

That said...I have my wife give me the once over before I go out, just to be sure. But, on one occasion, I was trying out a new SOB holster, which by the way was quite comfortable with my 365 (I’m a bit chubby, and it fit well between the “love handles”), and while out shopping at a Wally World, of all places, my shirt rode up when I bent down to pick up an item. Instead of falling back down over the gun, my shirt got caught behind it. There were other people around me who may or may not have noticed, but my wife was there, quickly noticed, and helped me remedy the situation. So, that holster, while comfortable, has been relegated to the big unused/underused holster box in the back bedroom. With my spare tire in front. AIWB doesn’t work well for me, so most of the time, I’m carrying the 365 IWB at around 3-3:30 in Kydex with an untucked shirt that covers it well. If not that, a Bodyguard in my front right pocket in a sticky holster.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Did you watch the video? Apparently, some random people in Walmart did notice the guy was carrying a gun and they did question him about it. If they were concerned enough to ask him I would guess that they'd be concerned enough to call the police if he had answered them in a belligerent manner. And yes, I am aware the videographer wasn't doing anything illegal or even wrong but avoiding unnecessary interactions with the police is generally a good thing.

Then you must get concerned about something
If you mean the video in #79, I did watch it, but did not see anything beyond some person talking about something that may or may not have happened.

I'll be sure to let you know if I learn of something relating to me that I should be concerned with, but the topic-at-hand is not one of them.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't give much thought to extreme concealment here in FL. The law says it has to be concealed "from ordinary view," which means covered. IWB or OWB under a loose shirt is about as concealed as I get.
I don't either. We have open and concealed carry. If I am spotted, I have done nothing wrong. Nobody has ever said anything to me. Sometimes, my OWB holster may peek out from under my untucked shirt. No problem.

Did you watch the video? Apparently, some random people in Walmart did notice the guy was carrying a gun and they did question him about it.
Honestly, it sounded more like a BS story made up for YouTube to get a bunch of views.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My Son had a panicky phone call "We need an armed one of your guys, tomorrow at 2-30pm, or my Staff all just walking out!" Said the manager of a Jewelry Store. Up near the Big Mall off Sand Lake Road.

I have talked about that incident, here I think? My shotgun carrying gig? If not I will do so. Some other time.

But whilst working there lots of Brit Visitors came to look at and sometimes buy jewelry. You can not walk around all the time (They want you to!) So I found a tall stool in the storeroom, and perched for a while, behind a pillar, roof support, not much of me sticking out.

One posh English Lady, with a couple of kids, from London UK. Saw me on a stroll, Glock 19 with open holster, two mags. "Is that a real GUN!!" "Is it loaded!!" "Well yes, and yes" I said.

When the lady heard my accent (Me from Liverpool UK. A Scouser!) She turned to her husband and proclaimed, "A Scouser with a loaded gun!" It broke me up. Her 13-year-old son said, "Can I hold it?" Well no, I said.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is the height of Police stupidity. Some mental Police Officer, of Orlando PD. Not sure male or female. Arrested a 6-year-old little girl. Put her in handcuffs, locked her in the back of a Police car, took her to a youth facility! Fingerprinted her, took a mug shot!! For kicking another little girl? In class.

Have the OPD gone mental!

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I have carried for many years and have never been asked and don't believe that I have ever printed. That may be a new trend for the sheeple, trying to spot those who CCW. If I am ever asked, I hope that I will have a quick, (verbal), reply!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Today, I was walking past a Starbuck coffee shop--I emphasize past--and 'made' a guy walking into the store who was carrying. Nice looking guy, stocky build, mid-30's, professional appearance, wearing a polo shirt and casual slacks (I think I'm old enough to be able to still use the term 'slacks'.). He had broad shoulders and his shirt was somewhat loose around his waist, but the outline of his 1911 (99% sure he was toting a 1911) at the 4 o'clock position was clearly visible. I couldn't tell if it was a Kimber or Colt, but no question he had a solid pistol under that polo.

So I ran up to him and asked, "Are you carrying a gun?"

NOT!

Two mistakes: one, his shirt was of a thin material that tended to drape around the grip. A larger shirt would have looked less stylish but may not have printed so well or a thicker material might not have draped so much. And, two, he was buying coffee at Starbucks. There is a much better local coffee place not two blocks from where I made him! :mad:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Actually, in my state (alabama) where there is an estimated 20% of people who cc, I actually do look to see who is carrying. The main reason I look is I want to learn from them. How to carry and how not to carry.

Even with me looking the only time I have made someone with a gun that had what appeared to be a 380 with about a half inch of the mag/grip sticking out of his rear pants pocket. That is one in thousands. He stood at a UPS counter and I was curious to see if anyone was staring, so I kept looking around. I don't think anyone noticed, or perhaps, cared.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have seen people open carrying here in WA a few times.

On a couple of those occasions I was with a group of other people. On later questioning, I found that I was the only person in the group who had noticed the open carry, on both of those occasions...

I stopped worrying about "getting made" at that point...

On one of those two occasions, we were on a relatively narrow trail, and the open carrier was passing us going in the opposite direction. Because it was narrow, he had to turn and shuffle a bit to get by. He had turned so his gun was facing us as we passed him, which was one of the reasons I noticed it. We were all in single-file, and passed him one-by-one, and I was still the only person who noticed the open carry.

I think I wouldn't worry too much about it...

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I've concealed since I was 20, well legally since I was 20. I'm 68 now. There are mitigating circumstances. Working undercover is different from working in plain clothes is different from working in business clothes as a detective is different from being off duty or operating as an armed civilian.

Of all the above mentioned, and like most folks I carry as a civilian only wanting to protect myself. There is no shortage of methods and firearms that are easily and deeply concealed. the trend towards people carrying service sized handguns lends to "getting made". This is becoming more common and sometimes cause issues between carriers and police and business owners.

Someone carrying a service sized firearm, and "gets made" should understand that they have at least a nickle in that dollar. This is a bit of how open carry advocates see things. Except that for the most part open carriers are not hiding or attempting to hide being armed. Using common logic, a person with a gun that is trying to hide that gun will naturally cause some concern. Concern by the average fellow citizen and probably the police.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I usually carry concealed, i.e. covered up.

I don't care if I print, don't really care if the wind blows my shirt up on occasion. Around here, nobody pays any attention, and open carry is common, guns are everywhere.

Locally, I can't imagine anyone questioning me on whether I was carrying a handgun or not. And if they did, they would just get an icy stare for an answer.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts