Defensive Carry banner

Are you carrying a gun?

9K views 93 replies 61 participants last post by  sparkyfender 
#1 ·
I realize this isn't a new topic but this is a slightly different iteration.

I just watched a YouTube video in which the YouTuber tells us he's shopping at Walmart with his family when he notices two people (random couple not thugs) following him. Eventually he asks them if there's something he can help them with and they tell him they noticed the bulge and were trying to figure out it was a gun or not. He tells them it's a colostomy bag and that's the end of the video.

Assuming the story is true and not something he made up for channel content his efforts at concealment had to be pretty damned lackadaisical to have drawn that much attention to himself. In this guy's case I have to ask myself (and I did ask him) if he cared enough to lie why not care enough to properly conceal the gun? (I'm sure he's going to block me from his channel) ETA he didn't block me but he's a little butthurt with me.

That I'm absolutely positive of I've been "made" exactly once. I bent down to get something off the floor and someone behind me noticed (or really thought I had a cute butt) and gave me a thumbs up. That's the only time I'm aware of that anyone has ever "caught" me.

I don't think I make any unreasonable effort to conceal my gun. Quality belt, quality holster, dress around the gun, the basics and it's mostly worked.

So my question is barring a major wardrobe malfunction do people get "made" that frequently? Is it really a thing?

I mentioned this to my wife just now but we were at her sister's house one day and her (my wife's) daughter was there with her crackhead husband. At some point during the day he leaned over the coffee table and his shirt rode up his back far enough to expose a Glock 17 sticking out of his ass crack. I don't think anyone but me noticed it. So maybe people really are oblivious.

See less See more
#43 ·
So my question is barring a major wardrobe malfunction do people get "made" that frequently? Is it really a thing?
My guess is, generally no. Most people don't notice even openly-carried sidearms, at least not from what I've witnessed here in AZ. I frequently keep an eye open for signs of concealed carry. mostly for amusement purposes.

#44 ·
I was prompted to start this thread by the YouTube video that I referenced in the first post. I've considered linking to it but since I'm speaking in a derogatory manner about the guy I am not sure that's the right thing to do and I probably won't.

I'm not sure how to clearly communicate what I'm thinking. Most of the time when somebody thinks that they've caught somebody out carrying a gun they really don't have any way to verify it so they don't ever really know if they were right or not.
But in this case we know that the people were right because the YouTuber verified that they caught him.

So the first thing I thought was he must have been phenomenally bad at concealing that day if some random person who he gave the impression wasn't somebody that knew what to look for got it right on the first guess.

That led me to wonder how common is this? I mean other than that one time that's never happened to me. The only exception would be times when I was doing security for the church and somebody would ask me if I was carrying a gun but that's a situation where it's a pretty pretty reasonable guess.

#47 ·
Excuse me sir, I noticed you are open carrying or printing.
Do you post on gun forums?
Yes.
Great!
When you get a chance, please post that somebody noticed or said something so to help reduce posting of either cliche.
Thanks.

Reactions: Bad Bob
#51 ·
I work in an office and got caught last week, after carrying every day for years. I had my g19 IWB and was wearing a shirt that had shrunk (or maybe I got bigger) and was a little too short. We were sitting in a meeting and when I got up he motioned for me to cover my gun. Thankfully he's a cool dude and nothing more came of it. I thanked him later.

I've also been "made" twice playing in a band, because the guitar strap can pin my shirt high when I bend over. Thankfully this is Alabama.

I have also seen people carrying concealed, and I didn't say anything.

#54 ·
No one’s asked me in 20 years. I don’t tell anyone I’m carrying. I really like the two suggestions, “it’s my ostomy bag”, or “tell me why it’s your business to ask”. Like OldVet’s, my state doesn’t require deep concealment and, in fact, allows open carry. I prefer to be in the “never tell” group and not print at all.

My wife, son and brother know I carry. No one has called me out on it and I don’t think anyone has noted it. My everyday garb is a t-shirt over work shorts, and my dress-up is a golf shirt over shorts that are maybe a tad cleaner. With just a little attention to my posture there’s zero printing except when I sit. My son made me when I was slouched in a lawn chair a few weeks ago. I straightened my posture just to show it doesn’t show.

#55 ·
The only time anyone has said anything was when I was carrying my spare mag in a cargo pants open top pocket (clipped in to it). She asked me what it was. I told her it was a spare magazine for my gun. She knows I have a permit, and I didn't see much point in saying it was something it wasn't. Her husband also has a permit, but for whatever reasons (probably her), he doesn't carry except when he goes to visit college friends out of state.

If I've been made other times, I am not aware of it.

#57 ·
Good approach. I was once asked what's in my bag, and I proceeded to slowly pull things out and describe their function.

"And this here is my GPS. It's not like most modern units, which just show the highways. No. Here, let me show you..." I pick it up and turn it on. "Takes about two minutes to boot up fully, but when it does, I'll walk you through the menu system so you can see..."

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

#63 ·
No comments, but I'm pretty sure the only time I screwed up, was on a stop at a Chick-fil-a. I got out of my truck, and apparently my shirt had run up over my IWB Glock. My wife jumped in line while I headed to the men's room, when I realized my gun was exposed. Oops, no eyeballs on me that I noticed, but I'm sure a few people in the busy restaurant spotted my carry. I'm just glad I wasn't home in the Commiewealth of Mass, but was in Jacksonville, FL (Southside to be specific) :smile: . I just wish I lived there instead, lol.

#65 ·
Came home from a 900 mile trip to Lancaster PA. Had my Glock 43X unloaded, in a suitcase in the hatchback, empty magazines.
First rest stop in a non-Commie State, Virginia? Loaded Glock, one extra magazine. Holstered up. On the 81 south, a couple of miles in ML. Can not imagine living anywhere except Florida. I think you are much more likely to get killed driving than any other way.

People can not drive well, any state. But home safe, one day doing nothing to rest up, nice to be home in Gods State.

Putting some goods in my Jeep, outside a big box store, felt a tug on my shirt? Looked up, saw Deputy walking away, I called "Thank you"
She lifted her hand in a silent wave. My vehicle is a marked Security Vehicle. The only time I have ever been made. That I know of.

#67 ·
In the 35+ years I have been CCW I have only been "made" once by another uniformed cop who worked for another agency while I was working undercover during Bike Week.

Reactions: Sister
#76 ·
I just watched a YouTube video in which the YouTuber tells us he's shopping at Walmart with his family when he notices two people (random couple not thugs) following him. Eventually he asks them if there's something he can help them with and they tell him they noticed the bulge and were trying to figure out it was a gun or not. He tells them it's a colostomy bag and that's the end of the video.

That I'm absolutely positive of I've been "made" exactly once. I bent down to get something off the floor and someone behind me noticed (or really thought I had a cute butt) and gave me a thumbs up. That's the only time I'm aware of that anyone has ever "caught" me.
WGaS. It is no one's business who carries a gun. The inquisitive need to be told that the world would be a better place if they minded their own business rather than sticking their noses in other's lives.

And 99% of the people in this world are too concerned w/ the phones or some-such other worthless trivia to even notice what is going on around them. They live at Condition White.

Reactions: OD*
#78 ·
Honestly folks, and I can't emphasize this enough.....Nobody makes a big deal about it until you decide to make a big deal about it. "Well, I think in order to prove a point and exercise my 2nd amendment rights, I'll just strap on an AR and as many magazines as I can and stroll into Starbucks and order a latte and pretend I go everywhere dressed like this. Church? The doctor's office? Yep, me and my AR. We go everywhere together."

Seriously? You actually do that and wonder why normal people think you're weird?

#80 ·
I don't believe anybody has noticed when I carry. If they did nobody said anything. I was in church one Sunday and noticed a gentleman when he bowed to pray his shirt would ride up and concealed went to open carry. He step out of the service for a minute I followed and mentioned it to him. He thanked me.

#82 ·
1968 in Benin, West Africa. In those days there was no problem in moving your handgun from the small of your back to your carry on and back again, depending on the search location. Anyway, I had flown from NYC to Benin ( Dahomey before the name change). The flight was a long one, too much cognac plus a head cold. Switched my Walther from my bag to the small of my back, left the plane, went through customs. My boss met me when my bags were released. He was with a friend, a local police constable. I distinctly remember bending over to pick up my bags. I was wearing a lightweight suit . I knew at that moment that the pistol at the small of my back would be visible as the material stretched over my back. As I straightened up, here comes the constable with a no-no look on his face. Luckily, my boss saw what had happened and got it straightened out. Understandably, I walked on egg shells for a while. Realistically, most of us carried handguns during that period, as some of the locals were not friendly.

#88 ·
My Son had a panicky phone call "We need an armed one of your guys, tomorrow at 2-30pm, or my Staff all just walking out!" Said the manager of a Jewelry Store. Up near the Big Mall off Sand Lake Road.

I have talked about that incident, here I think? My shotgun carrying gig? If not I will do so. Some other time.

But whilst working there lots of Brit Visitors came to look at and sometimes buy jewelry. You can not walk around all the time (They want you to!) So I found a tall stool in the storeroom, and perched for a while, behind a pillar, roof support, not much of me sticking out.

One posh English Lady, with a couple of kids, from London UK. Saw me on a stroll, Glock 19 with open holster, two mags. "Is that a real GUN!!" "Is it loaded!!" "Well yes, and yes" I said.

When the lady heard my accent (Me from Liverpool UK. A Scouser!) She turned to her husband and proclaimed, "A Scouser with a loaded gun!" It broke me up. Her 13-year-old son said, "Can I hold it?" Well no, I said.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is the height of Police stupidity. Some mental Police Officer, of Orlando PD. Not sure male or female. Arrested a 6-year-old little girl. Put her in handcuffs, locked her in the back of a Police car, took her to a youth facility! Fingerprinted her, took a mug shot!! For kicking another little girl? In class.

Have the OPD gone mental!

#89 ·
I have carried for many years and have never been asked and don't believe that I have ever printed. That may be a new trend for the sheeple, trying to spot those who CCW. If I am ever asked, I hope that I will have a quick, (verbal), reply!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.