Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I have carried a S&W 38 snub nose on my right side / appendix. Never bothered me mentally. I recently got an M&P 40 compact and today received my Don Hume H715M-TB. Holstered the gun and put in inside my pants to see how it would feel. When I sit down I have to angle it a little towards my private area so it doesn't stick into my thigh.

Is it just me or is does anyone else feel very uneasy about having a .40 caliber gun with no safety aimed at their private area?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Lol, I've yet to try appendix carry for that reason alone. I just cant get comfortable with a gun pointing "down there".

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just don't like the barrel digging into my thigh. It's not where it's pointing that bothers me, it's the barrel actually digging in. Must just be the way my body is. A lot of guys carry their handcuffs on the front of their duty belts too. I tried it, same issue. Bottom of cuff case digs into the top of my thigh.

With an FBI cant on the holster, I can bring it up to about 1:30 position comfortably. Appendix carry doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, I can see that making one nervous. I carry that way - on the left (so, at about 10:30-11 o'clock, instead of 1-1:30). It gives me the willies sometimes, when I realize that my J-frame is pointing at my right thigh. I'm pretty comfortable, though, that the thumb-break will keep the Ladysmith where she belongs, and that she's happy with me and won't shoot me. :tongue:

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think it all depends on the gun, myself I'm not a wheelgun man. I prefer a manual safety also which is why you won't find me with a glock. Either way I would share your concern and myself wouldn't carry a gun there without a safety. I would though carry my PT145 there(actually in a smart carry clone as we speak, well I guess not the same place but sensitive area). I also don't bat an eye at carrying my 1911 anywhere sensitive, I guess it all depends on how much you trust that action and the holster.

Luke

·
Registered
64 Posts
I feel with a properly taken care of firearm and a proper holster; there is no need to worry about a firearm going off on accident. I carry that way when wearing shirts that are too tight around the waist. Or maybe I should just lose some weight??? :rofl:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well all that said I guess it doesn't matter if it points at a private part or if you carry at 3:00 to 6:00. It has to point somewhere and you still end up with the same concern. Hmmm, maybe I should have gotten the M&P with the thumb safety. Didn't like the way it was designed with the gun though. Kinda stuck out a little. That and all the opinions I read here about not getting a safety.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am in agreement with the uncomfortable feeling. I've been carrying for a long time, and recently decided to try ingunal (appendix carry). Two of my carry guns are a Glock 26 and a S&W 642. I thought they would be great to carry in this fashion, having a short barrel and grip.

I was right - small guns like these work very well carried in the appendix position. Fast draw and presentation, minimal inteference with auto seat belt; can be carried crossdraw; easy access from a sitting position; no printing when bending over to get that item off the bottom shelf while shopping; did I mention a lightning-fast draw?

I like everything about the method EXCEPT the uncomfortable feeling of having a loaded gun pointed in the direction of my groin and inner thigh (Femoral Artery) areas. In any gun-safety discussion you will hear that it is bad to "sweep" another person or any part of your own body with the muzzle of your gun. That goes double when you know it is loaded.

I actually used the appendix position in a CCW match with the Glock and confirmed the speed of draw but I could not shake that little voice saying "Do you know where that thing is pointed"?

Bottom line for me anyway, I feel much more secure with behind the point of hip positions where the muzzle is actually pointed away from the body, and I can drawalmost as fast.

Last point but not least. I think in a gun-grab or retension struggle occuring during a draw, I would be better able to prevent or control when carrying in my usual 3:30 - 4:00 position, not to mention what if the gun fired during the struggle near the carry position.

Just my opinion, and of course YMMV.

Best regards,

Jim

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
When I think of appendix carry, I think of the 'brillant' crime solver on "Criminal Minds". The guy carries that way and it does not look comfortable nor pratical...OMO...and no, I don't ever carry that way.:icon_neutral:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I carry at the appendix position with my G23 all the time. I find it comfortable and I can draw quickly. And BTW, the Glock HAS a safety. If you don't pull the trigger the gun will not fire. I like to be able to draw quicker.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Because I am shaped like an hourglass, I find it horrendously uncomfortable to carry anywhere but appendix carry.

To each his own! :lol:

pax

PS to Jim - re the defensibility of a gun in appendix carry. Get on the mat and try it out. It's far more defensible than a gun on or behind the hip, because humans are designed to defend the front centerline.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am new to CC but I am leaning towards appendix. With my Glock 27 it just feels right. I feel no worries about printing. I can wear my normal large shirts. I do not feel uncomfortable in crowds, as I do not worry about people feeling the gun on my backside.
I only get nervous when I read comments like the ones above, and I feel safe when my mind says"It will only fire if touch the trigger".

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well I wasn't saying that the Glock didn't have a safety just that it didn't have a manual safety and I guess I could have used traditional as a better word. I agree that your gun will only fire if something touches the trigger. The only thing that I'm saying is depending on the carry method and holster it can be possible for something else to touch the trigger. I understand that in a proper holster etc it should not be able to occur. IE that thread about the thunderwear clone and guy shot in the crotch. So all I'm saying is I like to have one additional lever that I have to toggle before the trigger can come into play. It's just one more *safety* in my opinion. And I'm also not advocating trusting a safety and doing something stupid/unsafe, I'm just saying I enjoy the extra comfort especially when it's pointed at my body:) Whichever part that may be;)

Luke

Also inflections are hard to read in text but this isn't intended to be any kind of attack etc, just my opinion.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When using my SmartCarry or my belly band thingy I pretty much appendix carry.

Like Pax said too if you have ever trained from flat on your back to get to your feet or something like that appendix carry is better than 4 o'clock. After doing a fight to your feet drill I have adjusted my carry from 4 o'lock to 3 o'lock.

Be Safe,

NosaM

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The thought doesn't bother me as long as I am standing up. Like I said I have been carrying my 38 revolver (2") like that for years. Although I feel safer because it is a harder trigger pull and the hammer has to strike the bullet. With the semi, it is a striker pin.

Also, with the M&P 40C I feel like there is more gun pushing upward while sitting or bending over to pick something up. Making me think it is easier to get pushed out of the holster. Maybe it is more a mental thing than reality.

No doubt that if I am just going out for a walk it is a lot easier to stick the appendix holster in and go.

I don't know. Now I am thinking I should sell this one (even though it is only 3 weeks old) and go for one with a safety????? ugggh

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Of course an alternative would be to carry anywhere you want and don't chamber a round. Guess it is all a gamble. Shoot your nuts off, shoot yourself in the butt or chance that you have time to rack the slide if you have to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
PS to Jim - re the defensibility of a gun in appendix carry. Get on the mat and try it out. It's far more defensible than a gun on or behind the hip, because humans are designed to defend the front centerline.
You know, that is one of the wisest things I have seen posted to a board.

Why worried? Are you worried your gun will discharge in any other carry position? Follow the 4 rules and all will be ok.

I carry a Colt commander in the appendix carry. I had to have the Galco custom shop make a USA for me. I had it made without the normal extra leather at the end. The muzzle is flush with the end of the holster (this will be important later).

Here are the things I have learned.

When sitting shift the gun from the neutral cant to a barrel pointing at your left knee. It increases comfort for long sitting.

Wear the hook close to the belt loop to transfer weight to thr belt.

Do not decide to leave the range after "this" session, fire two fast mags reload with some carry ammo, holster and bend over to pick up your range bag. Well if you do at least try not to scream like a little girl as the muzzle brands a .45" circle onto the inside of your thigh.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't like it because if a BG wants my wallet, I can reach back and grab my pistol instead of my wallet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Because I am shaped like an hourglass, I find it horrendously uncomfortable to carry anywhere but appendix carry.

To each his own! :lol:

pax

Point well taken. I certainly agree that our hands/arms are stronger in front. However, I have participated in a few self defense classes in which we praticed some gun and knife techniques, and for me, I was better able to defend my weapon from the strong side. The lesson I learned there was to try to maintain distance at all costs. Too easy to end up the loser.

BTW, glad to finally meet the person behind "Cornered Cat":smile:. Great site!! I give the web address to every female student in my CHL classes and women I meet in the store who are interested in women's safety and self defense issues.

Keep up the good work,

Jim

1 - 20 of 47 Posts