Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you one that grew up with the revolver or was born in the Glock age?

Another thread at this site has a post where someone said that a semi was better for self defense than a revolver. Rather than highjack the thread, I began another. Feel free to jump in since not all people are going to like my opinions.

Most shootist (those that are into guns and shoot often) are too young to remember the days before the semi became popular or why it became popular. So here is a history lesson and maybe a few can learn from it.

Back in the day, there were only a couple of real contenders in the auto loader market. One of those was Colt and it main stay was the 1911. There were other small time players but auto loaders were not popular. Police carried revolvers and usually only six loose rounds in an ammo pouch. The avg shooting was less than four shots fired. The civilian population loved the Chiefs Special, the Diamond Back,, the Anaconda, the Python and many others. About everyone had their .38spl, 357 mag and a lot of other revolver calibers.

Then the druggies began their drive by shootings. They did not practice their aim so they missed a lot. This required them to either have several loaded guns or a lot of helpful shooters. Their needs sent them in search of higher capacity firearms. Some foreign makers of AK, SKS and other type weapons were making guns with high capacity mags and the druggies were buying them. Then some handgun makers upped the game and began making larger capacity handguns like the Tec Nine. The drive by guys still missed more often than not and still do to this day. The police were not missing as often but Glock entered the scene and bought their way into law enforcement. A local dept was using the S&W 686 but Glock offered them $310 for each trade in and sold them new model 17 Glocks for $275, this making a profit for the dept and getting new guns with cheaper ammo. Of course, they left the 9mm a few years later since it was not working as planned. But then they had to buy the Glock model 22 in order to get a good price from a maker and Glock gave the best trade in offer.

Civilians began seeing police all across the nation carrying Glocks. They wanted what the police carried. As with the gas prices of the 70's created the car makers to build smaller, more efficient cars, the demand for Glocks and the auto loaders forced gun makers to get on the auto loader bandwagon. Of course, there was the Browning Hi Power and the 1911 at the time but makers as welas the public wanted more offerings.

Now the typical shooting went up in rounds fired. Everyone was trading accuracy for capacity by using the pray and spray method.. However, this was good for the ammo makers because they were selling more ammo.

Yet, now let’s look at the revolver vs the auto loader.

A revolver is more accurate. Many will not believe that but it is true. As a bullet travels the length of the barrel of an auto loader, there are many movements going on within the gun. As we all know, movement causes a loss in accuracy, be it flinching, loose gun grip or what ever. With a revolver, pull the trigger and nothing is going on inside the gun other than a bullet travelling down the barrel. Before the second pull of the trigger on a revolver can be made, the bullet has long since left the barrel.

A revolver is more simple to operate. No safeties to release, no magazines to worry with, no rounds requiring chambering, no mag springs to worry about, no slide bite to be concerned with, no failure to feed issues, no ejection problems and so many more considerations.

The revolver shooter is going to be more accountable in the number of rounds fired since each round counts and therefore, making the shooter become more accurate.

In a self defense situation, the revolver will work better for the average citizen. Simply put, the revolver is simpler to operate, especially for the casual shooter that only goes to the range once every couple of years, as most gun owners actually do.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Im carrying semi but cant argue with one point youve made. I remember KSP carrying the 357 and you definitely did not want those old boys in the Grey Ghost Ford cruisers either chasing you or shooting at you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I very much agree with you oldman I love my wheel guns

Reactions: USM1976 and fredg53

·
Premium Member
39,186 Posts
I shot revolvers at a very early age, but never got attached to them. I got my first handgun in 1967, an Erma Luger. The only wheel-guns I have ever owned are the ones I inherited, except for the Model 29 I bought when everybody else was buying model 29s.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
...in a self defense situation...the casual shooter that only goes to the range once every couple of years
If you like wheelguns, that's fine, me too. But if a handgun is being carried for defensive purposes & if practice only comes...every other year, then the problem is MUCH bigger than revolver vs. autoloader. :yup:

And Colt "Diamondback" is one word.

And I gather you think that "the druggies" are responsible for the popularity of autoloaders? Wow, did they contribute to cell phones & laptops as well? :blink:

·
Premium Member
9,427 Posts
I have three 9mm semi autos, but the rest of my centerfire handguns are revolvers, and I have a lot of them.

Both autoloaders and revolvers have pros and cons, but I just prefer revolvers. I also think revolvers are the gun of choice for novice or infrequent shooters that do not practice enough to become very familiar with their weapon.

For those civvies that take the time to learn their weapon of choice, though, I think either is a fine choice for carry.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Interesting story on why semi autos became popular. I feel it was just advances in technology that brought the semi into mass use, rather than drive by drug dealers and such. If a revolver works for you, congrats, I trained on revolvers but find semis fit my needs better. The drawbacks to revolvers (accuracy claims not included) are such I find a semi a much better option.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All things equal, I carry a 1911 and have for dozens of years. Sure, I carried the S&W wheel guns and was deadly accurate with them. I also carried to models of Glocks over the years. Yet my love and heart is in the 1911. I still have a lot of revolvers in my collection and shoot some of them often. One of them is a .45 Long Colt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I grew up shooting revolvers, but when it came time for concealment I picked a Glock 19. I love it and I don't think it's hard to use. I find that there are a lot of revolvers I hate, and a few I love. Same for semi-autos.

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
I have shot a couple of revolvers,my dad and some of my friends own.When my uncle passed,he had no kids,he left me his S&W 357 mag.It's the model 19-2.I have shot it a couple of times,with 38 and 357 ammo.It's a bit heavy.It shoots well,but,it could stand to be reblued.S&W wants 220.00,to do it.When i have enough pennies to do it,i'm going to check around here as well.

·
Super Moderator
22,548 Posts
We first began seeing Smith & Wesson semi-autos in LEO's holsters long before Glocks were ever developed, the Illinois State Police adopted the Model 39 in 1967, SEAL Teams used the Model 39 in Vietnam, a modified version called the Mk 22 Mod 0, or by it's nickname, "hush puppy." The standard Model 39 was also issued. You can't blame Glock, the semi-auto was better suited to the LEOs needs at the time.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I'm 26 and grew up shooting revolvers and still care for them dearly. :biggrin2:

·
Super Moderator
22,548 Posts
Interesting story on why semi autos became popular. I feel it was just advances in technology that brought the semi into mass use, rather than drive by drug dealers and such. If a revolver works for you, congrats, I trained on revolvers but find semis fit my needs better. The drawbacks to revolvers (accuracy claims not included) are such I find a semi a much better option.
You are correct, the change to semi-autos started long before the gangbanger wars.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I bought a Springfield XDs as my carry gun, prior to that I had only owned revolvers. None of the ones I own are suitable for carry (for me, it would be different for other people) so I did the research and bought my first semi-auto. It's a great gun, it's accurate, it's easy to shoot, it's reliable.

But, in my mind I have that little lingering doubt, will it work when I really need it to? I'm sure it will, but I also think I will find myself a nice snubby that I would trust 100% to take over some duties as a carry gun.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We first began seeing Smith & Wesson semi-autos in LEO's holsters long before Glocks were ever developed, the Illinois State Police adopted the Model 39 in 1967, SEAL Teams used the Model 39 in Vietnam, a modified version called the Mk 22 Mod 0, or by it's nickname, "hush puppy." The standard Model 39 was also issued. You can't blame Glock, the semi-auto was better suited to the LEOs needs at the time.
I own revolvers and love everyone, but my EDC is a Model 39.

Reactions: Bad Bob and OD*

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
I cut my teeth on revolvers and carried them on duty in the '70's as well. I have plenty of confidence in my S&W Model 19 that I used; I think it's a great gun and I'd feel fine about carrying it on duty anytime.

My wife CC's a S&W 642 and she will not switch to anything else, I don't have any problem CCing one as well. I do prefer using my Sig 229 .40 SAS as a CCW.

I do still like and use revolvers, in fact I just bought two more recently, they wouldn't be particularly good CCW's though......too BIG.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Oldman, not trying to argue, but I thought a auto was usually more accurate due to the fact that the bullet is already in the barrel. In a revolver they have to jump an air gap from the cylinder the barrel. p.s. I do love revolvers too.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Since the advent of the first hand cannon, there are several trends that can be seen in firearms development.

Two of the most common are:

The ability to shoot more bullets between reloads.

Decreasing the speed of the reloading process.

You can even find all sorts of contrivances within the category of revolvers where people tried to remedy those issues.

I like revolvers just fine, I even carry one on occasion, but those are two of the biggest drawbacks of them IMHO, limited capacity, because if I was to make a center fire revolver that held double digit rounds, it would be near impossible to conceal.

And it has a slower reload than most semi-autos. The reload is not only slower, but is going to require more fine motor skills than a revolver. And a proper speed reload of a revolver requires switching hands with the gun, meaning I have to lose my firing grip (in order to use my dominant hand, which has better fine motor skills under stress to find the chambers with the rounds.) In order to reload. Tertiary to this is that it is very difficult to top off a cylinder, compared to just inserting a fresh mag during a kill in the situation.

And revolvers have their share of other issues too. As far as no ejection issues, ever had the ejection star go over the rim of a round while trying to dump empties under stress? That will take a revolver out of action for a couple minutes while you pry it out.

Granted, I am a young guy, so maybe I am just biased. But I tend to go to full sized, steel, single stack .45s as opposed to the plastic "wonder 9s". I think everyone should evaluate their perceived threat situation, and carry according to what they are comfortable taking that into effect. If that is a revolver, and someone shoots that best, while acknowledging the shortcomings of it, great. If it is a semi auto, and someone e shoots that the best while acknowledging the shortcomings of it, great.

I'd also question the "more accountable bit" since a very large number of people who engage in a lethal force situation can't accurately say how many rounds they have fired during it. Also, something that bothers me about revolvers, is that my semi-auto slide locks to the rear on an empty mag. With a giant adrenaline dump and full auditory exclusion, I can tell that its empty. With a revolver, I wouldn't want to be pull I g the trigger on empty chambers and not knowing it because I was more concerned with not getting shot than keeping count of my bullets.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts