Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 1911 back yesterday.
When I first went to the range a month ago. The last two rounds would only feed halfway into the chamber. I sent it to a gunsmith to get the tension on my extractor adjusted. I received it yesterday. The smith tuned the extractor, and polished the chamber. He told me that he fired two clips with 2 different types of ammo, and had no problems. He also told me that the spring is abit heavy, and that the factory mag did not pop out after the he fired the full clips. The smith told me I would just have to pull the mag out of the well after shooting the factory mag. He didn't have any 7 or 8 round Wilson, or Chip McCormic mags in stock yet.

Today I went to the range with 150rds of ammo, and spent them all. Just about every time I fired a mag. The last round would only feed half way into the chamber. I could pop out the mag normally, and the slide stop engaged, when the half way cartridge was extracted. I then reinserted the last cartridge into the empty mag to fire it. After the final round was fired, the mag would not come out of the well unless I locked the slide stop into place, and pushed the mag out through the chamber while holding the mag release button.
The 10rd still only feeds halfway into the chamber, just like it did last month. I now consider that mag a lost cause.

What do you think the problem is? Is the extractor tension still to tight(or loose)? The spring to heavy? Or that I need to try a new mag? Because I sure don't know... :confused:

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Is this 1911 a Kimber? :eek:uttahere

I'd say try a different magazine first, then work up from there.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Yes, definetly another mag.
You haven't said what kind of gun it is, please do.

It is most likely the mag, it could be too heavy a recoil spring but if you are shooting factory ammo I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a Springfield Full-Size WWII. Sorry about not being more specific, when Im asking for help :redface: .

I was guessing on the mag being the problem myself. But its just a guess. Due to the fact that Im new to 1911's altogether. Honestly Im hoping its just the mag. Seeing that I would have to get mags anyhow. I do have an aftermarket Mag-F follower, that might help...I guess? Because....well you know. Im new to 1911's.

I just cant get past the fact that the smith said he had no feeding problems. While I am having problems:confused:. Then again 14rds doesn't really cut it for a test, IMHO.
And no, Im not limp-wristing, or using a bad grip either.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Ok, next questions.

Did you buy it new, and is everything in it stock? Or do you know?
Is the mag the one that came with the gun or is it something other than a SA mag?
What kind of ammo are you shooting?

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
try shooting from a sandbag supported too. Might be why the smith had no problems. And .45 mags are cheap, so why not pick up a few more? Hope it works out, from reading about diffrent 1911 problems, not sure I want 1 anymore.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, here's my 2 cents, though I'm not sure it's worth that much. :wink:

1. Ensure that the gun is clean and well lubed.
2. Unless you are sure that the gun has the correct recoil spring, replace it with a new one, they're cheap.
3. Use quality factory new 230 grain FMJ ammunition.
4. Get and use a new Wilson 47D magazine.

My theory is; rule out the common (and cheap to correct) problems first.

Good luck. :smile:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Start with the Mags and Springs.....

sarhog said:
Well, here's my 2 cents, though I'm not sure it's worth that much. :wink:

2. Unless you are sure that the gun has the correct recoil spring, replace it with a new one, they're cheap.

My theory is; rule out the common (and cheap to correct) problems first.

I agree with everything sarhog says and would only add that it might be a good idea to relube halfway through the session if you're going thru more than 150rds. Do you know the lube points on a 1911? Anybody care to enlighten him? I'm in the middle of my American History class.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
As above. The only other thing I've experienced was an out-of-spec ejector- the rear notch in the mag would catch, causing the mag to hang, and mis-feed on the last round(s). It only happened with the last round or so, as the weight of the full mag pulled things "in-line", but as rounds were expeneded, the mag was being angled to the left.

You can check this by taking the top off, and inserting a mag (try several), and see if it is hanging up/rubbing on any surface. Basically, your mag should slide in freely, and be held only by the mag catch. Good luck! :smile:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you buy it new, and is everything in it stock? yup it was new, and stock.

I agree with everything sarhog says and would only add that it might be a good idea to relube halfway through the session if you're going thru more than 150rds. Do you know the lube points on a 1911? Anybody care to enlighten him? I'm in the middle of my American History class. Ill try that, yup I know the points, and the 2kidds in the 3rd row far left are screwing around :biggrin:

I cleaned it, and lubed it very well before it went to the smith. But not when I got it back. Ill do so

Ill try that out, when I go to the dealer.

I was using 1 box of PMC, 2 boxes of cheap CCI blazers, both 230gr. Ill get new type of quality ammo.

Thats what I planed on getting, when my dealer resupplies.

You can check this by taking the top off, and inserting a mag (try several), and see if it is hanging up/rubbing on any surface. Basically, your mag should slide in freely, and be held only by the mag catch. Ill check that.

Im calling my smith also, ge gave me a guarantee on his work.

Rocky, Hopefully its just the mags, my only real problem was a poorly tuned extractor. Don't get scared away from 1911, most of these are o.k. out of the box. It is frustrating for me, but as soon as I get this rolling it will be a great gun.

Thanks guys :smile:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off the phone with the smith.
He told my that the factory mag's lip was going over the slide stop, with the last round. He said a new type of mag will work. I asked him if the Wison mags there restocking are the 47D? He didnt know the mod number, but he said there plastic and cost $29.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with trying a different mag.

If you still have problems call Springfield. If you need to send the gun in they will warranty the repair and cover the shipping. I would not spend a bunch of money on a gunsmith and new parts for a new gun that is under warranty. Springfield has great customer service and I am sure they will make it right.

·
Registered
269 Posts
gregarat said:
I asked him if the Wison mags there restocking are the 47D? He didnt know the mod number, but he said there plastic and cost $29.
I assume he means a plastic follower, the 47D magazine body is stainless steel. You can pick them up from Natchez for $22.13.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Put a 16lb (factory stock) spring in the gun. Next, get a couple of Mec Gar 7 round magazines.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It sounds like a magazine problem, most likely too weak of a spring in it, especially if it happens on the last or next to last rounds...
Only buy good high quality magazines and keep them clean.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Range Report:

I got myself a Wilson mag, and a boxes of Blazer ammo, then went to the range.
At first the last round wasn't seating into the battery. I only needed to push a little on the back of the slide to get it to feed. I think its just break-in issues? The last 4 mags fed smoothly for the most part! Except on the 2nd to last mag, where it had the same seating issue as how I described earlier in this thread. I still assume its just break-in "burps"?
Hopefully this gun is now fixed. Now I just have to finish breaking her in, then try HP ammo (Ill just get a ramp job done if it doesn't like HP rounds as is), then finally night sights.
Thanks to all of you that helped me with this gun! :smile:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
FTF problems.

I've owned a couple SAs in the past and I've noticed they tend to be a smidge tighter in slide to frame fit than my Colts were - definitely could simply be a break-in issue.

On the FTF issues: I'd suggest replacing your mag springs before deciding to trash the factory mag. I've had really good luck with Wolff's "+10" springs so it's all I use. A lot of folks prefer Wilson mags in 7 or 8 round config., I've never had problems with them but I prefer McCormick's 8 round Shooting Stars - although I'm planning on trying out their Powermags in the near future as they've gotten favorable reports. All of those are available through Brownell's.

With the mag drop issues: It sounds silly but have you tried loosening the grip screws just a touch? I once replaced the grips on a 9mm and when I overtightened the screws, the mags had to be yanked free just as you're describing... sort of a "duh!" moment on my part.

Don't get discouraged, just think of it as a challenge. :wink:
Jack

P.S. I forgot to mention, when I was having trouble with FTF on a new SA Champion I found that wiping down the feedramp with a solvent dampened patch really helped keep things working. Don't fieldstrip or anything, just drop the mag, lock the slide back and reach in through the chamber opening. It might at least give you something else to try.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Rocky -1911's are great. Please, try one, I'm suyre you'll see.

Gregart- I've also got the Springfield GI model. I've got the same problem of having to pull mags out when I use my McCormic 8rd magazine. Otherwise it feeds and works flawlessly. And to be honest that magazine is the most finnicky (it refuses to feed hollowpoints reliablely). Try some other magazines and make sure your gun is well lubed, and then please, tell us what happened.

Best of luck.

A1C Lickey

1 - 20 of 47 Posts