Defensive Carry banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've heard that people move to AZ and plant grass to have lawns like they did in the states they left. IMO, that's a big mistake, partly because of the water issue. I would have a rock and cactus yard. Not having to mow and weed would be a big a draw.
Yea, some fools do plant grass to have lawns. Not this old man. It's a sandbox why would you want grass?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Jeanlouise - Correct, that is one advantage, but be advised: there are weeds under all that rock. And, water conservation is the overriding motivation behind most of the plantings and the trickle irrigation systems. After we'd moved there we learned they had what is called 'monsoon season'. That hasn't happened for about two years now, and with the on-again/off-again snow pack in the mountains, I'm getting more fearful about a water shortage and some severe restrictions, which (naturally) will have a negative impact on property values.

Getting back to concealed carry in the state, with anyone free of felony conviction legally able to carry a concealed weapon - 21 and older - I've often wondered what's happened to the violent crime statistics for the state. Perhaps they began trending down with the 'bad guys' being concerned that anyone might have a concealed handgun. No permit required, unless you want to legally carry in an establishment that serves alcohol, plus some other perks that I don't remember off hand.

A couple years ago an armed AZ citizen shot and killed a perp who was in the process of killing a state trooper. I believe that may have happened more than once ... a great example of why universal CC might act as a deterrent. I do wish Trump and the Republican super majority in 2017/18 had passed the legislation that was promised to extend CC privileges across state lines for those with a permit. AND, I wish they'd passed the legislation making it easier to obtain a suppressor. Those two promises sure disappeared off the radar screen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
So I was looking at the criteria by Guns and Ammo for their 2019 edition which is online:

But my take away was this: if your state is in the top 20 or so you are in good shape. Those in the top 20 sometimes differ by only nuances, and not the things that are most important to we who carry - this as far as I could see. I mean, when Alabama is #18, you know that if you are in a higher ranking state (17,16,15... ) it's pretty much all good. But I pity the worst 20. How do they say "mother may I?"

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmm. Arizona is great, but I kind of question the criteria for these rankings. Some of them seem way out of whack. ??

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the September 2020 issue of Guns and Ammo, Arizona is rated the best state for concealed carry. This is the EIGHTH consecutive year Guns and Ammo magazine has rated Arizona as the #1 state for gun owners.
With all that happened, I still think I made the right decision moving to Arizona.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
California is pouring into Arizona as fast as it can. I don't think it will last long as a gun friendly state.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts