Defensive Carry banner

Arizona ready to vote on use of deadly force bill

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Miggy 
#1 ·
By HOWARD FISCHER
Capitol Media Services
02/03/2006

PHOENIX -- The House of Representatives gave preliminary approval Thursday to letting anyone shoot to kill when someone illegally enters a home or car.

On a voice vote, lawmakers said people are legally entitled to use deadly physical force when someone unlawfully or forcibly enters any residence or occupied vehicle. A final roll-call vote on HB 2392 will send it to the Senate.

The move came after supporters beat back several amendments designed to narrow the scope of the measure.

Rep. Ben Miranda, D-Phoenix, sought to restore the legislation to the way it was when originally introduced. That would have allowed someone to use deadly force only when an intruder both unlawfully and forcibly enters a home, rather than either one.

Miranda also was unsuccessful in limiting the right-to-shoot measure to dwellings.

He said the "castle'' doctrine on which this legislation is based -- named after the adage that "a man's home is his castle'' --was never meant to apply to cars and trucks.

But Rep. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, objected. "You may have children in the car,'' he said.

Pearce also convinced colleagues to defeat a proposal by Rep. Ted Downing, D-Tucson, to spell out that the legal defense to killing someone does not apply "if a reasonable person under similar circumstances would have retreated.''

"There certainly is a right to self defense,'' said Downing. But he said it may make more sense to step away "instead of having your living room covered with blood.''

The only exception, said Downing, would be if the person who does the shooting was either the victim of domestic violence or had an order of protection against the assailant.

But Pearce said people whose houses are invaded shouldn't have to prove they could have left.

"It's my home, my castle,'' he said. "I have a right to defend it, especially if I have children in the house.''

Downing remained unconvinced, saying that the legislation will "allow Arizona testosterone to rise up rather than reason.''

See less See more
#2 ·
That is the same hogwash they tried to use against Shall-Issue CCW.

I have a very simple rule that applies to this common sense law. (at least it should be a common sense law).

"If you enter my home or my car with violence on your mind, it will be the last thing you ever have on your mind."

#3 ·
acparmed said:

I have a very simple rule that applies to this common sense law. (at least it should be a common sense law).

"If you enter my home or my car with violence on your mind, it will be the last thing you ever have on your mind."
I agree 100%

#4 ·
It should be common sense yes - total no brainer. It should also be the law everywhere - as well as proven felons (and their families) relinquishing any rights whatsoever to being able to sue if perp hurt or killed in the commission of a crime.

That would keep it totally cut and dried - also helping make it very apparent to any BG with a grain of self-preservation - keep the **** away from my home and me and my family.

No need at all for this to ''raise testosterone'' at all - ''reason'' actually, in case legislators had not noticed, is not something too high up on BG's priorities - it does tho still have validity with law abiding folks who need not suddenly go on a rampage because the law is on their side.

#7 ·
acparmed said:

I vehemently and completely disagree 100%.....

The LAST thing to enter his/her mind should be a bullet.... :comeandgetsome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.