Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Granny should have opened fire and taken out the trash for good.

I'm no expert on GA law but I'm pretty sure that the fact the two scumbags were in her house gave her reason enough.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granny should have opened fire and taken out the trash for good.

I'm no expert on GA law but I'm pretty sure that the fact the two scumbags were in her house gave her reason enough.
I totally understand your viewpoint, but personally, I would probably not have shot them either if I could help it, even if they deserved it,,, There's always redemption,- you would think if they were held at gunpoint, with a loaded barrel pointed right at their nose until the cops came, and then had to spend some serious time in jail, that a B&E thief might reconsider his/her life choices.... Yeah, I am probably being naive'...... bob

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I totally understand your viewpoint, but personally, I would probably not have shot them either if I could help it, even if they deserved it,,, There's always redemption,- you would think if they were held at gunpoint, with a loaded barrel pointed right at their nose until the cops came, and then had to spend some serious time in jail, that a B&E thief might reconsider his/her life choices.... Yeah, I am probably being naive'...... bob
Sorry Bob; you are still living in "yesterday's world"

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good story--I am always a bit skeptical when I see "grandmother or grandfather" Heck, they could only be in your 40s--but this lady is 78--so a good call there--although having to load her firearm is not exactly the best situation to be in--glad it worked out ok for her.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Good story--I am always a bit skeptical when I see "grandmother or grandfather" Heck, they could only be in your 40s--but this lady is 78--so a good call there--although having to load her firearm is not exactly the best situation to be in--glad it worked out ok for her.
Yes, you're right. I didn't notice the part about granny having to load her gun. Bad granny!

I hope she keeps it loaded now.

Also, I'm only 63 but I have been a grandpa for 10 years now. If any scumball breaks into my house you can bet I'll not hesitate. I want the two little ones who call me grandpa to be able to continue to receive my love and support for many years to come.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Everyone has to make that decision. Shoot or no shoot,, even if it's in your rights to shoot. We all have to live with the decisions we make. For myself, if i come upon a bg in my house, unless he is already laying spread eagle on the floor I would shoot.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyone has to make that decision. Shoot or no shoot,, even if it's in your rights to shoot. We all have to live with the decisions we make. For myself, if i come upon a bg in my house, unless he is already laying spread eagle on the floor I would shoot.
I like to think a BG would just lay on the floor prone if you had the drop on him and screamed for him to lie on the floor or get shot, and it was either get prone or die.. If he's armed, all bets are off however.. I don't think I or you or anyone with a weapon could take the chance.. Problem is, the armed homeowner might think a BG has a weapon, and its a flashlight ot something he lifted from the house etc.. There is a lot to consider during a home invasion, but simply NO time to make considerations..You either take the BG out or don't, and have maybe a second or two to decide which.. Some states if someone has entered a house up to no good and the owner is armed, he is off to the happy hunting grounds. In states like NY however where I live, its another matter. The BG is gone, but for the homeowner his life as he knew it could be over, unless he was physically attacked, and can prove it.. NY is a duty to retreat state, and the homeowner by law is supposed to let the BG take what he wants, and stay away until the danger is past.. Even if he is stealing your life savings I suppose.... bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually, after reading my last post, I became aware of the fact that I might catch some heat about the duty to retreat law in place in NY and other states.
Actually, in your own home, the law states you can use deadly force to stop a BG from robbing you. However, that has not always been the case, and prosecutions are common, as well as civil lawsuits. So I guess, the choice is up to the homeowner, but using a weapon to defend ones home might make the good guy wish he'd just let the BG take what he wanted... The burden of proof is always on the homeowner in these cases.
I just checked the wording, and it seems like a slam dunk, but in practice, its not at all....bob

With respect to victims who are inside their own home, New York’s law states in part:

"A person in possession or control of, or licensed or privileged to be in, a dwelling or an occupied building, who reasonably believes that another person is committing or attempting to commit a burglary of such dwelling or building, may use deadly physical force upon such other person when he or she reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of such burglary".

·
Registered
41,412 Posts
Sorry Bob; you are still living in "yesterday's world"
True dat. They are more likely to get bail and go after granny for dissing them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I leave redemption up to god. Invade my home and you are going to get shot unless you can turn and run very fast because a shot in the back can get the shooter in real trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts