Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Just for reference, in the Georgia court ruling of Nunn v. Georgia in 1846 it was plainly stated that boys have a right to keep and bear arms.

"Nor is the right involved in this discussion less comprehensive or valuable: "The right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed;" The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree;"

http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/nunn_v_state.txt

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Kid carry? No. Teacher carry? I feel if a teacher wants to CC they should be able to but my fear would be having a first responder mistake them for the shooter & make a bad situation worse.
Fear of being mistaken for the criminal should be a concern of anyone carrying a gun for self defense, not just teachers. Best advice to not be mistaken for the criminal is to put the gun away before law enforcement arrives in order to not appear a threat when the government arrives with their guns drawn.

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
Kid carry? No. Teacher carry? I feel if a teacher wants to CC they should be able to but my fear would be having a first responder mistake them for the shooter & make a bad situation worse.
That particular argument is one posed by all who oppose the authorization of concealed carry in an otherwise non-permissive environment. Given the response time of LEO vs that of someone already on the scene, the problem will most often already be solved before first responders enter.

Armed school staff training certification emphasizes minimizing that possibility in case of an actual event. Having taken that training myself, I'm confident that those so certified are capable and knowledgeable enough for that to not pose a problem.

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
As others have stated, not now.

I remember guys bringing rifles and shotguns to school during hunting season - in fact one of the girls did too - and not a single shooting. Jim Howe and I got into a fight after school one day but he never considered walking over to his truck and pulling out his rifle ..... he didn't have to actually, he pretty much cleaned my clock as it was. But not one single shooting and there were dozens of guns in the parking lot.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
359 Posts
Having guns in schools to protect kids may be an answer, but adults need to step up to the plate and pay for a real security force with real money and real equipment. It will mean single secure entrances. Think airports. This will cost money. It will mean higher taxes. Or, as often the case, bigger classrooms and less teaching resources.

Bad / crazy people can have CCW's!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Back in my day...

No.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Well, that yielded some interesting results. I think the word "select" was lost on some people, and I concur the legal hurdles are enormous, but some of the flippant responses are reminiscent of what the antis say about all gun owners, particularity those who carry.

However, I did want to list a few thoughts on why I posted such a question...

- I am younger than the majority of active posters here, graduating HS in 1994, so its more "recent" to me than many others.

- By the time I was a Jr and Sr., I was armed essentially all the time when off-campus or not at some specifically sanctioned activity. I carried the key to the family gun safe next to my band locker key and essentially served as family armorer.

- As Senior Patrol Leader for my Boy Scout Troop, I carried a sidearm when we hosted our own summer camp in the National Forest and on other campouts- It was the right thing to do.

- I don't view it as being much of a stretch that my personal carry of weapon in school would have been responsible and reasonable. I know several of my friends who I would have felt the same about.

- Looking at some the older Scouts in my son's current Troop, I see some of the same qualities that would make me think they would be good candidates, as well.

There many 16 - 18 year olds who I would entrust to carry a weapon way more than some self-professed adults who do currently.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Nope

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
No. But school staff who chose to should have access to firearms. It is ridiculous for schools to pay to have the police work armed security in their schools when schools have staff who can do the same job for free.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Out of curiosity, how does denying a 17 year old the right to carry a gun mesh with the 2A? Is a 17 year old not one of “the people”?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Out of curiosity, how does denying a 17 year old the right to carry a gun mesh with the 2A? Is a 17 year old not one of “the people”?
In a school no they are not.
In many cases the Supreme Court has held that those below the age of majority do not have the same rights as adults.
In New Jersey v T.L.O. they go into the differences regarding the Fourth Amendment created by the relationship between students and school staff. In other cases they specify differences in the First Amendment. Also, juveniles do not have automatically have a right to bail.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Well, that yielded some interesting results. I think the word "select" was lost on some people, and I concur the legal hurdles are enormous, but some of the flippant responses are reminiscent of what the antis say about all gun owners, particularity those who carry.

However, I did want to list a few thoughts on why I posted such a question...

- I am younger than the majority of active posters here, graduating HS in 1994, so its more "recent" to me than many others.

- By the time I was a Jr and Sr., I was armed essentially all the time when off-campus or not at some specifically sanctioned activity. I carried the key to the family gun safe next to my band locker key and essentially served as family armorer.

- As Senior Patrol Leader for my Boy Scout Troop, I carried a sidearm when we hosted our own summer camp in the National Forest and on other campouts- It was the right thing to do.

- I don't view it as being much of a stretch that my personal carry of weapon in school would have been responsible and reasonable. I know several of my friends who I would have felt the same about.

- Looking at some the older Scouts in my son's current Troop, I see some of the same qualities that would make me think they would be good candidates, as well.

There many 16 - 18 year olds who I would entrust to carry a weapon way more than some self-professed adults who do currently.

Who decided that "...It was the right thing to do."?

Just because one person does it, doesn't make it right to do.

The Boy Scouts say NO, too. Did you get a special permission or just do your own thing?

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/alerts/firearms/

·
Registered
276 Posts
As others have said. NO. There may be one in 25, maybe 50, who have what it takes to carry and use a firearm responsibly but I still would not chance it.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
In a school no they are not.
In many cases the Supreme Court has held that those below the age of majority do not have the same rights as adults.
In New Jersey v T.L.O. they go into the differences regarding the Fourth Amendment created by the relationship between students and school staff. In other cases they specify differences in the First Amendment. Also, juveniles do not have automatically have a right to bail.
Glad somebody picked up on that, I was wondering if my comment was too subtle.

Minors don't have all the same rights as adults. Suggesting current era society allow "children" to carry guns in school is something most people would consider a bad joke.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I find it very interesting that so many people say no based on the kids today’s lack of responsibility and their acts which we see on tv such as eating tide pods. Seems a lot to me like the lefts attack on all of us because so many people with guns commit mass shootings. Oh that’s right we are judged for the acts of a few rare instances. Do all kids have the capacity and responsibility to have that weight no I don’t think so. However just as several people have mentioned their are some that do. Do you really think the tide pod eaters and the clowns marching in the street to strip the constitution are going to be the ones who carry. No it’ll be the same ones who have a rifle or shotgun in the truck during hunting season and have jobs and we’re likely taught at home more about being an adult then the school systems ever will know much less teach..

I’m not saying I think it’s a good idea I just think the reasons many on this thread are mentioning are the same reasons the left wants tests imposed and universal background checks or out right removal of our guns. I have for a long time said the only way to stop this is more good people with guns. Your not going to change the mind set of today’s killers no more then you were the Ted Bundys or the Charles Manson’s of yesterday. I also don’t think they need to give every teacher a gun.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
As others have said. NO. There may be one in 25, maybe 50, who have what it takes to carry and use a firearm responsibly but I still would not chance it.
Actually you do chance it, because people in your state have the right to carry guns.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Who decided that "...It was the right thing to do."?

Just because one person does it, doesn't make it right to do.

The Boy Scouts say NO, too. Did you get a special permission or just do your own thing?

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/alerts/firearms/
Yes- From the Scoutmaster, who thought it was an excellent idea, and quoting current BSA policy is kinda silly for something 25 years ago. Of course, it's not like the BSA legal team is going to lift a tasseled loafer to help you in case of a situation in the Colorado boonies.

Does the concept that a teenager can responsibly posses a handgun for defensive purposes give you heartburn?

61 - 80 of 178 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.