Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Now, you're arguing the English language. There is 18, and then there is a group (juniors and seniors BETWEEN 16 and 18)...another way to say the same thing is between their sixteenth birthday and the day before their 18th birthday. That's what it means. That's different from those who are 18.
when something is written like it was in the OP, the second number is included in that group.

Reactions: Snub44

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
And that is how the term “common sense gun legislation” was born. People will argue that even though you have the right to carry a gun, that doesn’t mean you should be able to. You’re willing to get that ball rolling for them. I’m not.

How does that quote go? Those who would trade freedom for safety deserve neither and will likely lose both, or something like that.
You're off on a tangent. The thread's about giving children adult responsibilities...and letting students in high school carry guns to class...that's not about rights, it's about parenting...you make decisions for your children until they're on their own. Parents understand that.
There's no trading involved. That's the way society works. Parents make decisions for their children until they are grown.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Once again I will highlight the term of "select" from my first post. How "select" could be determined is open to significant debate, but that 17 year old who is "no way responsible enough to carry a defensive weapon in a school" is driving a 3000 - 6000 lb lethal weapon everyday on the roadway too. In my thought process, out of 500 or students per grade, ther might be only 2 or 3 who might make the "select" list.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
If they were able to save lives and stop an attack- then absolutely YES!
We're not talking about a kid going by, noticing a shooting, and intervening.

We're talking about arming school kids between 16-18 in age, and sending them into the daily classroom environment with the responsibilities of carrying, controlling, and using a gun wisely, then intervening in an emergency, and making wise decisions that affect lives or cause deaths. That is the OP's question. Still a "YES?"

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
We're not talking about a kid going by, noticing a shooting, and intervening.

We're talking about arming school kids between 16-18 in age, and sending them into the daily classroom environment with the responsibilities of carrying, controlling, and using a gun wisely, then intervening in an emergency, and making wise decisions that affect lives or cause deaths. That is the OP's question. Still a "YES?"
I am the OP.

Reactions: graydude and Havok

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Once again I will highlight the term of "select" from my first post. How "select" could be determined is open to significant debate, but that 17 year old who is "no way responsible enough to carry a defensive weapon in a school" is driving a 3000 - 6000 lb lethal weapon everyday on the roadway too. In my thought process, out of 500 or students per grade, ther might be only 2 or 3 who might make the "select" list.
\

I understand what you're saying here...but there's a difference between capability and responsibility. Some 17 or even much younger could do it...and do it well...but that is not a responsibility that we should assign a child in high school.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
So you are. Missed that in all the smoke.

Are you then saying that you would support arming 16-18 year old school kids and tasking them with those responsibilities?
I know you saw my statement about "select", as you is responded to it.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
\

I understand what you're saying here...but there's a difference between capability and responsibility. Some 17 or even much younger could do it...and do it well...but that is not a responsibility that we should assign a child in high school.
Fine. You and I disagree and that's OK. I think there is a small subset of students who would be able to handle this duty and offer a security enhancement that a fat duffer in the security office or a pacifistic academic could never provide.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I did, and I just responded to it again. I don't care how much the kid knows about guns or laws, or how good a shot he is. A high school child...between 16-18 or EVEN 18, as you say, being a high school student, should not be tasked with that responsibility.

That, on occasion, one might become a hero just passing by with a gun in the car, or pick up the dead security guard's gun and save the day, doesn't mean they should be given that responsibility. I know of 8-year-olds who've saved Mommy's life with a gun...but that's totally different.

Could he/she? Maybe...SHOULD he/she be put in the position that they have to? NO.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Fine. You and I disagree and that's OK. I think there is a small subset of students who would be able to handle this duty and offer a security enhancement that a fat duffer in the security office or a pacifistic academic could never provide.

We TOTALLY agree on what you just said here..."would be able"...but they should NOT be given this responsibility while high school students.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I did, and I just responded to it again. I don't care how much the kid knows about guns or laws, or how good a shot he is. A high school child...between 16-18 or EVEN 18, as you say, being a high school student, should not be tasked with that responsibility.

That, on occasion, one might become a hero just passing by with a gun in the car, or pick up the dead security guard's gun and save the day, doesn't mean they should be given that responsibility. I know of 8-year-olds who've saved Mommy's life with a gun...but that's totally different.

Could he/she? Maybe...SHOULD he/she be put in the position that they have to? NO.
I understand, they should just die in place like they are supposed to, and put their trust in capable adults, like the Broward County Sheriff's Department, to keep them safe.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Havok, I owe you an apology...just checked with someone with a master's degree in writing, and I'm wrong. "16-18" doesn't mean between the 16th birthday and until the 18th birthday...it does include all the time they're 18. In 70 years, I never learned that...so forgive my ignorance, please.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I understand, they should just die in place like they are supposed to, and put their trust in capable adults, like the Broward County Sheriff's Department, to keep them safe.
Well, it happening that way doesn't change what should be. If it does, then one gun owner's misuse/crime means all should be disarmed. There are exceptional circumstances...this was one of the most shameful ones.

·
Premium Member
33,873 Posts
Well, it happening that way doesn't change what should be. If it does, then one gun owner's misuse/crime means all should be disarmed. There are exceptional circumstances...this was one of the most shameful ones.
Examples of adults stopping the carnage in school shootings before they have run their course are few and far between.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Havok, I owe you an apology...just checked with someone with a master's degree in writing, and I'm wrong. "16-18" doesn't mean between the 16th birthday and until the 18th birthday...it does include all the time they're 18. In 70 years, I never learned that...so forgive my ignorance, please.
All good. It happens!

·
Registered
34,547 Posts
Examples of adults stopping the carnage in school shootings before they have run their course are few and far between.
Possibly because adults seldom have the means to stop them. Perhaps if more had the means...

·
Super Moderator
16,358 Posts
Closed per OP request.

Reactions: Mike1956
161 - 178 of 178 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.