Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to news reports, armed robberies by teen perps (as young as 12 and 13) are happening more and more frequently in Wash., D.C.

(I have to believe the phenomenon is NOT isolated to D.C. but is more likely "everywhere" aided by "social media.")

If you are involved in a shoot/don't shoot scenario, the armed assailant MAY be a "child." Are you ready for that ?

Also, will you be ready for the media onslaught that will surely follow if you shoot/kill a kid ? (Even an armed child ?)

This story isn't pretty but it is upon us:

Teen arrests for robberies rising in DC | WTTG

Also, if you see anyone heading into a gas station, convenience store, liquor store, restaurant, etc. and they are wearing BLUE NITRILE GLOVES ...

That just might be a clue that bad things are about to happen !

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Teenagers think like what they are, therefor I see them as more dangerous as an adult. Having lived more years than I have coming I want what I have coming and most likely would act accordingly. I truly hope to never be put in that position.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
If some armed criminal wants to threaten me with that level of force and [if] I think attack is imminent, I will do whatever is necessary to protect myself. What comes later, comes later.. I will worry about "later" when and if later comes.

·
Registered
20,089 Posts
The only difference in an adult (18) killer/criminal and a 13 year old killer is 5 years.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Here in Cleveland they ride up to you on a bicycle and pull a glock and demand everything....then ride off. Low tech rules.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
In 1985 I flew into JFK from Japan to go home on 30 days leave. Ended up waiting for a Greyhound bus in an underground bus terminal. While I was waiting, standing there in my charlies, carrying a seabag and an ALICE pack. I needed to use the bathroom. Some young punk kid probably 15 wearing a red bandana on his forehead. Which btw made me laugh outloud cuz it reminded me of a low budget movie with gang bangers. Yeah well he puts his arm across the doorway to block my entrance. I swiped it away and told him to get the blank outta my way. I enter the bathroom and there's at least 8-10 others...just like him. I thought...oh crap. Luckily a transit(?) cop must've seen me go in. He comes in and orders them all up against the wall. Tells me "Do what you gotta do and get the blank outta here!" I said Yes Sir, thanks! My point is I assumed because of the age that kid was no threat, until I saw the numbers. That cop saved my bacon...

I worked with a reservist who was a deputy sheriff somewhere in NC . He was jumped as he returned home one night by multiple teens. He told me he had a 38 in an ankle holster but did not draw it for fear it would've been taken and used on him. He was almost beaten to death. His head was twice in size from being stomped. Could've died or been crippled but luckily recovered.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Plenty of experience with the little cherubs under 17 on the streets. Some of the most aggressive roof top shooters in Boston were 12-13 years old. They'd pull an alarm box and wait for firefighters to show up, then shoot at them from the rooftops. The little darlins were always a real threat working in the projects of both Boston and Prov RI.

Age has no meaning when facing imminent grave bodily harm or death. Hesitation can get you dead pdq.

·
Banned
894 Posts
As to kids being dangerous, the Marines going ashore during WW2 weighed about as much as the average High Schools student does now. The age of the weapon, the size of the kid, the numbers involved are what matter. Kids are actually more dangerous than adults. They have some legal protections and less judgement.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Years ago I was working a contract for the State. Part of my research was to visit a youth detention center (read: kids prison). It was eye opening to say the least. Growing up as I did, you learned fast how to size up a room for threats. Almost every room and hallway was riddled with "youths" that were stone-cold killers...dead eyes and all. The most shocking to me was when I learned they had a separate compound in the facility for kids 13 and younger who were incarcerated for sexual assault.

No, I wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond to use whatever force was necessary regardless of the assailant's age. A kid with a weapon can make you just as dead as a grown man.

·
Super Moderator
18,033 Posts
I would think an armed teenager is more dangerous than an adult since they will not think of the consequences and just want to take what they want and to take it now.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
it should not be a big surprise about adolescent killers, think child soldiers and Hitler Jugend .

One thing they know is the Juvenile justice system favors them as does the media .

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know there is a part of me that says if my life is threatened I will protect myself or my loved ones. However, still, even though I might walk away with my life, I have a feeling that pulling that trigger will weigh heavily in my heart for the rest of my life. Think about the mother and father also, the pain they will feel. I am *not* saying I should take a bullet from him, I am saying if I ever have to shoot in self defense I think the long term impact (on me, my family and others) would be worse because he was a minor.

It is therefore a lose-lose situation.

·
Registered
41,512 Posts

·
Registered
14,241 Posts
I know there is a part of me that says if my life is threatened I will protect myself or my loved ones. However, still, even though I might walk away with my life, I have a feeling that pulling that trigger will weigh heavily in my heart for the rest of my life. Think about the mother and father also, the pain they will feel. I am *not* saying I should take a bullet from him, I am saying if I ever have to shoot in self defense I think the long term impact (on me, my family and others) would be worse because he was a minor.

It is therefore a lose-lose situation.
You assume the feral HAS a family.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I was taught to show and apply due respect to women and children, but due to applied self preservation, my attitudes toward teens and women posing a threat has been set by having served in Vietnam in Jan 1968 as an AF SP and a one year tour as a civilian jail guard for the city of Dallas during a break in service. A teen carrying an AK or an explosive charge or a teen with a gun committing a robbery is no longer a child and a woman who trying to ruin your manhood during a booking into the local jail is no longer a lady. If you want to survive, you take what action is needed to neutralize the threat.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts