Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of us probably work in an office building where firearms aren't allowed. I do, and because of such I have to disarm when I get to work and secure the weapons in my vehicle.

But since I've moved to the day shift, several coworkers have made future lunch dates with me, and it got me wondering how in the heck am I going to get around arming and disarming myself without alerting my coworkers to the fact that I carry.

There are a couple immediate suggestions:

1. Drive myself
2. Pull the, "Oh, I left something in my car..." routine

The first one can only take me so far since people generally carpool for office lunch breaks. The second option is the best, but could ultimately become fishy if I have to do it again and again, especially with the same people.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks, everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Depending on your co-workers feelings about CC, you may be better off just leaving your weapon secured during lunch.
I'm also in a day-job situation where I must secure my pistol in a vehicle safe... however more than half of my co-workers at this office location also carry & secure in vehicle and the other half know & understand.

Reactions: phreddy

·
Registered
453 Posts
Joining this nationwide forum has definately opened my eyes to the fact that even so called pro-gun people have a different mindset in different parts of the country.

Honestly if it was me, I would not be going to lunch with people that I work with that are not comfortable with me carrying. Everytime I have started a new job, I strike up converstations to get a feel for their feelings on guns. Usually it comes out that most are cool with it or carry themselves. But I realize that I live in a very gun friendly part of the country.

If you want to carry, I would not let others dictate whether you did or not. I also do not understand the feeling that some have where they need to keep the fact that they carry a secret. Again, just a different mindset I suppose. Most everyone I know, knows the fact that I carry everywhere I can. Those that don't like it can kiss my big fat toe. But I usually take the time to try and convert those sheep and I have a good track record at doing so up to this point.

Just do this, leave your sunglasses or cell phone in your car or something. And then say, I have to go get said item. It's not a lie since you actually go get it if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just disarm when I get to work (along with the 7 other people in my department who CC), then strap it back on at the end of the day.

·
Registered
42,899 Posts
Sometimes you just can't carry, or at least not without making it a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Joining this nationwide forum has definately opened my eyes to the fact that even so called pro-gun people have a different mindset in different parts of the country.

Honestly if it was me, I would not be going to lunch with people that I work with that are not comfortable with me carrying. Everytime I have started a new job, I strike up converstations to get a feel for their feelings on guns. Usually it comes out that most are cool with it or carry themselves. But I realize that I live in a very gun friendly part of the country.

If you want to carry, I would not let others dictate whether you did or not. I also do not understand the feeling that some have where they need to keep the fact that they carry a secret. Again, just a different mindset I suppose. Most everyone I know, knows the fact that I carry everywhere I can. Those that don't like it can kiss my big fat toe. But I usually take the time to try and convert those sheep and I have a good track record at doing so up to this point.

Just do this, leave your sunglasses or cell phone in your car or something. And then say, I have to go get said item. It's not a lie since you actually go get it if it makes you feel better.
It's all about priorities and risk. We live in a real world and can't always control the circumstances we operate it. That's why most of us choose to carry. That said, we all make choices: Is lunch with coworkers more important than the PIA of having to disarm? Maybe or maybe not. We all have to make that decision. I too am not allowed to carry at work, so I typically leave my carry piece at home if all I'm doing is driving 4 miles to and from my office. That's my choice. I could lock it up in the gun safe in the car, but I'm not comfortable doing that. I'd rather have it locked up at home if it's not on my person.

The reality is that there are potential pitfalls and stigmas that could result from informing others that you carry a weapon. That's a sad statement about our society and political system, but it's still reality.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
OldVet,very true,you can't,sometimes..Althou a few here and there,acts like the world will stop rotating if they can't.Not sure how those survived,before,they got their permit,lol..I don't advertise to people i carry.That said,if they find out i carry ,and get ugly about it,or,don't like it,then i probably won't be going with them.
I guess,it's according to the situation.

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts
A lot of us probably work in an office building where firearms aren't allowed. I do, and because of such I have to disarm when I get to work and secure the weapons in my vehicle.

But since I've moved to the day shift, several coworkers have made future lunch dates with me, and it got me wondering how in the heck am I going to get around arming and disarming myself without alerting my coworkers to the fact that I carry.

There are a couple immediate suggestions:

1. Drive myself
2. Pull the, "Oh, I left something in my car..." routine

The first one can only take me so far since people generally carpool for office lunch breaks. The second option is the best, but could ultimately become fishy if I have to do it again and again, especially with the same people.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks, everyone.
I got training to better deal with potential problems which may arise when I am not able to carry.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Is the firearm the OP's only means of self-defense? No pepper spray, other training, etc?

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Knives, pepper spray (or other non-lethal tool) and an alert mind can still get you through your average lunch break. Just be smart about where you go. Also, if you are not comfortable with the location chosen for lunch, don't be afraid to decline. There is always a way to bow out of a casual luncheon.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I got training to better deal with potential problems which may arise when I am not able to carry.
This will solve a multitude of problems. A little training to use a vast number of options that are available when a gun is not.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Same situation as you OP. I just choose to be unarmed when it's close to impossible to arm up before heading out to lunch with co workers. It's a risk I sometimes have to take. Always keep a knife and your SA with you. SA keeps you out of 99% of danger. Your gun, knife, teeth, nails or running away will hopefully get you out of the 1% you just can't avoid.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
For me, it would depend on where I was going. Your routine run of the mill joint in a safe neighborhood, I would just head on out.

If the group wanted to go to a rougher part of town because "that sandwich is to die for", I would make the excuse and arm up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the responses.

I do carry a knife, but no sprays. I have limited defensive training, but nothing from a professional/accredited individual. Just things my father taught me growing up (retired Navy, former private security).

But this discussion has been particularly awesome. It made me see I should get into some classes.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Skatalite, Your best weapon is on your shoulders. Don't leave it locked up in your car. We all have times we cannot carry our favorite weapon but we still have weapons.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Three options, basically:

1. Go armed anyway, not disarming while heading into work. It avoids the need to rearm/disarm while transitioning to lunch, etc. Of course, it means you risk the ire of your employer, if it's anti-gun.

2. Go armed in another manner, ie with pepper spray, knife, other tools. During lunch, you're with others, sometimes multiple others, and it's entirely likely you'll be safer in a larger group anyway. Might well not be worth testing the likelihood of getting caught out as a carrier, versus the likelihood of actually needing to be armed with a firearm during lunch hour. Might be worth the "risk" to be armed via other means.

3. Don't go armed, getting comfortable with the likelihood of meeting violent felons during lunch hour as being remote enough to accept.

Which method we pick depends on us and our evaluation of the pros/cons. We're all different. Every location/community is different. And the probabilities of meeting evil on a given day varies from person to person, place to place. Hard to say what's best for any given person. Pick one, and go with it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Always carry never tell. I cc And if I have to use it heaven forbid. I can find another job a lot easier than I can find another life. And we have a couple of unstable individuals at our work place. Stay safe and carry on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Three options, basically:

1. Go armed anyway, not disarming while heading into work. It avoids the need to rearm/disarm while transitioning to lunch, etc. Of course, it means you risk the ire of your employer, if it's anti-gun.

2. Go armed in another manner, ie with pepper spray, knife, other tools. During lunch, you're with others, sometimes multiple others, and it's entirely likely you'll be safer in a larger group anyway. Might well not be worth testing the likelihood of getting caught out as a carrier, versus the likelihood of actually needing to be armed with a firearm during lunch hour. Might be worth the "risk" to be armed via other means.

3. Don't go armed, getting comfortable with the likelihood of meeting violent felons during lunch hour as being remote enough to accept.

Which method we pick depends on us and our evaluation of the pros/cons. We're all different. Every location/community is different. And the probabilities of meeting evil on a given day varies from person to person, place to place. Hard to say what's best for any given person. Pick one, and go with it.
Well said.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It's all about priorities and risk. We live in a real world and can't always control the circumstances we operate it. That's why most of us choose to carry. That said, we all make choices: Is lunch with coworkers more important than the PIA of having to disarm? Maybe or maybe not. We all have to make that decision. I too am not allowed to carry at work, so I typically leave my carry piece at home if all I'm doing is driving 4 miles to and from my office. That's my choice. I could lock it up in the gun safe in the car, but I'm not comfortable doing that. I'd rather have it locked up at home if it's not on my person.

The reality is that there are potential pitfalls and stigmas that could result from informing others that you carry a weapon. That's a sad statement about our society and political system, but it's still reality.
This is how I do it too. I got a car gun safe I had bolted down under my seat, but I still was too nervous leaving it in there the entire time I was at work, so I just recently have ended up leaving it in the gun safe at home instead. I only live 1.5 miles from where I work too so my own personal risk assessment is that I feel ok getting too and from work without it. We are not allowed to leave the premises for lunch time also (they have a cafeteria or you can bring your own food in) so that is not an issue for me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts