Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another good reason why it isn't smart to advertise that you have a gun. Nearly everyday I see where people are arrested because somebody told the police that they have guns. The headline in the news is usually-------arrested for having multiple guns. It looks like all somebody have to do is to see you with a gun and call the police and they can get a search warrant and search your home for weapons.

I don't know how many guns you have to have to be considered a danger to society. One guy in Texas got out of his car at a park and people saw that he had a handgun so they called the police who nabbed him for having a handgun, extra magazine, two knives and a baton. He also had black gloves so maybe that is really what tipped those people off that he was a potential serial killer. Nobody in their right mind has black gloves. He led them to an AR-15 with a 30 round magazine.

So I'm thinking that basically somebody actually only saw a guy with one gun and said "WOW I'M SCARED" because they saw a gun. It looks like there must be a law against having more than one gun and several boxes of ammo. Or maybe it is the combination of a gun and a knife. Or a baton and black gloves. Probably the extra magazine-- why would anybody need to carry an extra magazine?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Another good reason why it isn't smart to advertise that you have a gun. Nearly everyday I see where people are arrested because somebody told the police that they have guns. The headline in the news is usually-------arrested for having multiple guns. It looks like all somebody have to do is to see you with a gun and call the police and they can get a search warrant and search your home for weapons.

I don't know how many guns you have to have to be considered a danger to society. One guy in Texas got out of his car at a park and people saw that he had a handgun so they called the police who nabbed him for having a handgun, extra magazine, two knives and a baton. He also had black gloves so maybe that is really what tipped those people off that he was a potential serial killer. Nobody in their right mind has black gloves. He led them to an AR-15 with a 30 round magazine.

So I'm thinking that basically somebody actually only saw a guy with one gun and said "WOW I'M SCARED" because they saw a gun. It looks like there must be a law against having more than one gun and several boxes of ammo. Or maybe it is the combination of a gun and a knife. Or a baton and black gloves. Probably the extra magazine-- why would anybody need to carry an extra magazine?
Interesting article at the link; of course, I'll need more info before drawing a conclusion and opining.

That said, I'll be interested to know if the alleged perp had a license and what laws he may have broken. Hopefully more info will shed sufficient light on the details of the case.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

this is where "red flag laws" is going to take us.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
In Texas there is no restriction on number of guns, magazines, knives, or AR-15s. Leaving a loaded weapon around a public place where kids play is probably gonna draw a child endangerment charge.

In order to carry a handgun, you need a Texas license. You can carry a long gun anywhere. The threatening charge (if indeed one was ever filed) will go away in court or before. The baton will not be legal to carry until September 1.

There are no laws concerning magazines, bullets, loaded, unloaded, whatever. Sounds like a good bust to me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It’s Austin, the bluest of the blue in Texas. Most folks there see a gun and they have to go to their safe place. Just one reason I don’t open carry. If the article is correct then it was a good arrest. No LTC, outstanding warrants and loaded AR left in the park makes me think the guy was a brick shy of a load. I trust the media about like I do a cottonmouth.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
How many guns? One of our friends has an enormous safe. He might have more than one safe, but that is the one we saw one day when we were at his house and he went to the safe to get one out to show us. When asked how many guns he has he always replies: "More than one" - no matter who asks, no exceptions.

·
Super Moderator
50,576 Posts
The link takes me to a report of a guy with an outstanding warrant, and who led cops to an AR15 with a loaded 30 round mag he left unsecured in the woods of the park.

Sounds like a good intervention, what's the issue?
See the OP...

·
Registered
318 Posts
This seems like a righteous arrest to me. Existing warrant for his arrest, leaving loaded firearms in the woods.
"Arrested for having multiple guns", "Cops shoot unarmed black man" both inflammatory headlines that completely ignore the individual circumstances.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts

Criminal. Arrested for OTHER issues. As @OldChap mentioned, you can carry multiple guns here, "as long as they are holstered". SOP for me.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
See the OP...
Can you be more specific?

I read the OP, then I read the article, and honestly I don't see what the issue is.

The man wasn't arrested for having multiple guns. The article states "Broesche was taken into custody and charged with two counts of unlicensed carrying of a weapon for a pistol and a baton found in his possession. Police say Broesche also had an outstanding warrant for his arrest in Harris County." Add that he left an AR and 30 round mag unattended in a public park where I'm assuming there isn't a shooting range and probably no hunting allowed.

Should the cops have left this guy alone with no actions taken? I don't understand how arresting this guy is an issue.

·
Super Moderator
50,576 Posts
Police say Broesche also had an outstanding warrant for his arrest in Harris County." Add that he left an AR and 30 round mag unattended in a public park where I'm assuming there isn't a shooting range and probably no hunting allowed.
Noting this part of the article;

In Texas, you can openly carry guns in public, but there are rules.

If you’re carrying long guns and rifles, it must be done in a safe, non-threatening manner. You don’t need a license.

For a handgun, you can carry it openly, but you need a license. Handguns must be carried in a shoulder or belt holster.

I think the issue was two fold. First, he did have a warrant, and secondly, he left weapons unattended in the park.

That's all I have, if there happens to be a follow-up article, we'll see what charges actually stick.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts

I read the OP, then I read the article, and honestly I don't see what the issue is.

The man wasn't arrested for having multiple guns. The article states "Broesche was taken into custody and charged with two counts of unlicensed carrying of a weapon for a pistol and a baton found in his possession. Police say Broesche also had an outstanding warrant for his arrest in Harris County." Add that he left an AR and 30 round mag unattended in a public park where I'm assuming there isn't a shooting range and probably no hunting allowed.

Should the cops have left this guy alone with no actions taken? I don't understand how arresting this guy is an issue.
I've been by that park twenty times (if not more), & there's NO shooting range around, & as to hunting, AIN'T NO HUNTING going on miles from there!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts