Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my thread, http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...8-range-day-its-not-always-fun-yesterday.html I only talked about the fun part - getting to that part was a nightmare; it went kinda like this.

So simple: I got home about 12:00 noon. All I had to do was remove a a barrel from a receiver (AR) and install the Seekin's Precision (SP) 10.5" heavy in it. Simple, how hard can that be, seeing that I've done such dozens of times. This one was not to be.

So I get the SP barrel installed, and am ready to install a gas tube in the SP adjustable gas block. Well, that did not go well. I tried three different roll pins and none of them would fit??? No problem, I'll use a Syrac gas block, or was it an SLR? Anyway, got the tube mounted and because the block was a clamp on, the handguard would not clear it.

OK, no problem, I'll switch to the MI SS round handguard - it looks kinda neat anyway. So I remove the barrel nut. Hmmm, I don't have a SS barrel nut, oh well, I'll take the one off the 300 Blackout upper and replace it later. I screw on the SS barrel nut, and it simply will not time correctly!!! Well, I discovered I did have a SS barrel nut available after all, now that I've taken a perfectly good upper apart. So I screw that one on and it won't time correctly either!!! Now what??? OK back to the MI SS gen II handguard.

So I remove the SS barrel nut....wait a minute, you don't want to hear all this and I for sure don't want to relive all this. So to make a long story short, after getting home at 12:00 noon with the 30 minute task of installing a barrel, it was almost 3:00 pm before I was ready to go to the range - and my blood was right at the boiling point :mad:

I put "it" behind me, fixed me a peanut butter and honey snack and took off to the range. It didn't get much better there. Seems like anything that could go wrong did. The upper I just built would not fit the ATF approved SBR Noveske lower!!! Well it was due to a retainer on the MI SS Gen III handguard, so I took the retainer off and conservatively tightened the clamp bolts - that fixed that.

Well, finally, all that could happen did, and I got to shoot - all by myself until I was almost done and then a couple of guys showed up.

Whew - that was frustrating!

·
Super Moderator
24,648 Posts
That's a lot of parts floating around. I would like to see photos of your shop / gunspace. I bet it is pristine and highly organized.

I am glad you finally got to shoot!

·
Super Moderator
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts