·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
186 Posts
This statement is what upsets me.

“They ought to fire people for this,” he said, his voice quivering with rage. “Instead, they stand them up and give awards.”

They will protect their own even when they know they are wrong.

Covering themselves always seems to take precedence over fixing something that is broken.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
This statement is what upsets me.

“They ought to fire people for this,” he said, his voice quivering with rage. “Instead, they stand them up and give awards.”

They will protect their own even when they know they are wrong.

Covering themselves always seems to take precedence over fixing something that is broken.
Admittedly I didnt bother to read the article, but typically when things go bad, those who get the awards are the ones who dealt with the excrement sandwich, not the ones who planned poorly.

·
8,501 Posts
Quite simply, complacency kills. If you work in a steel mill, on a flight deck, serve warrants or do any type of dangerous work complacency is the #1 killer. These officers were lax in their prep work and it came back to bite them.

Reactions: Secret Spuk

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Just to add on to what SIXTO said, also often times, the ones who did the poor planning are allowed to quietly retire. Is it right to do that? I don't know. I'm not going to judge those types of actions. As tragic as those things are, the people who screwed up had no malice in their heart. They just didn't know any better in a lot of cases. Or they misjudged things allowing things to compound the problem. While the lapses made in this case certainly boggles the mind, I think it's safe to say there was no malice or deliberate intent to do a poor job.

But with these kinds of occupations (law enforcment, firefighting, EMS and others), the consequences for a lack in judgement, a lack in preparation, training or whatever, are high. One little thing doesn't go as planned and a whole cascade of catastrophic failures can easily ensue. In public safety occupations, the margin for error is small. There's a potential for loss of life with almost every decision made in such circumstances.

Reactions: Secret Spuk

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I really hate when LEO's are WIA/KIA doing their jobs,Sometimes it's a tragedy that the LEO's were ambushed or something else,but Piss Poor planning/Arrogance/Negligence/Complacency has been killing LEO's for decades and no matter how many AAR's and Classes on Officer Survival Etc. they never run out of new material. The Dirt Bag needs to be executed

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yep, bad planning, how about the times they break into the wrong house in the middle of the night and abuse and badly frighten the innocent residents and if you draw a gun they shoot you

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Yep, bad planning, how about the times they break into the wrong house in the middle of the night and abuse and badly frighten the innocent residents and if you draw a gun they shoot you
Yeah, that happens... Save your comments for postings about such incidents.

After reading the repost of the article... I wonder how many of us civilians who carry, actually DO try to think like a criminal... Where would he ambush me from?

In the scenario section of this forum, there is a fellow that works laying/splicing fiber optic cable... He has at least 5 trucks. He has taught his men to "scope out" the neighborhood prior to setting up to do work alone... If the "hood" looks too "dicey" he has told his men to call in backup... And they bring in all the trucks to do the job.

He, at least, is armed... Others that work for him may also be.

It's a shame these men were so ill prepared for what they thought was just another hippie pot head... And it cost them dearly.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, that happens... Save your comments for postings about such incidents.

After reading the repost of the article... I wonder how many of us civilians who carry, actually DO try to think like a criminal... Where would he ambush me from?

In the scenario section of this forum, there is a fellow that works laying/splicing fiber optic cable... He has at least 5 trucks. He has taught his men to "scope out" the neighborhood prior to setting up to do work alone... If the "hood" looks too "dicey" he has told his men to call in backup... And they bring in all the trucks to do the job.

He, at least, is armed... Others that work for him may also be.

It's a shame these men were so ill prepared for what they thought was just another hippie pot head... And it cost them dearly.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
"Pre-mission intelligence" applies to everyone.

·
Registered
958 Posts
With today's electronics a house can be a fortress. Just some cheap GSM motion detecting cameras will trigger an email, with a picture, to a cellphone. Simple booby traps can be armed, and triggered remotely. The advent of the cell phone has changed home security.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With today's electronics a house can be a fortress. Just some cheap GSM motion detecting cameras will trigger an email, with a picture, to a cellphone. Simple booby traps can be armed, and triggered remotely. The advent of the cell phone has changed home security.
Very true. You can outfit a house for under $500 easily.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Again... In my opinion neglegence by the supervision, and neglegence by the individual officers. Complacency = negligence when someone loose their life. Unless of course it's a perpetrator... Then I'd hope it's justified.

I've seen this kind of thing happen. IMO A failure of administration, and a failure of supervision. I spent a few years serving search warrants for narcotics. From the information available these dude's were amatures. For the sake of comparison, and to continue the conversation I'll share what went into our prep for a controlled entry warrant service.

1) everyone participating in the meet at a location. The location is always a police facility, and at least one Pct. away from the warrant location.

2) The undercover officers are introduced, and any out of uniform officers are introduced. All officers from different commands meet and great each other. (All done to prevent blue on blue incidents)

3) The tactical meeting is lead by the Ranking officer in the operation. The officer responsible for the warrant disseminates what ever intelligence he may have. Other officers my also share information.

4) Assignments are made to everyone involved.

5) Equipment is distributed according to assignment. Personal load-out is checked. (Minimum a raid jacket, service pistol with mandated spare ammo for those directly involved, ballistic vests, Flex Cuffs, Flashlight, ID) Supervisors may carry their off duty gun.

6) A disaster plan is formulated, and disaster assignments made.

7) Form up and prepare to move out.

8) Ghosts hit the scene, and radio conditions to the raid party. Sometimes an informant or an undercover will mark the entry of the location in the warrant. Double check the location and warrant match.

9) Then it's a go.... Controlled entry.

This was every time, and every narcotics search warrant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts