Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anti-gun voters tend to just watch the news, absorb every single word that the MSM says about firearms, call it "Truth" and then march both arms reaching out..drool dripping from their mouths to the voting booth.

The fact that I get dirty looks in my rear-view mirror at red lights says it all....since the only bumper sticker that I have is one that says "I am Pro-Constitution" over an American flag folded over the "We The People" header of the Constitution.
constitution.JPG

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Given the opposition, it seems very logical.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The attached chart (taken from the article posted by the OP) shows an interesting increase in background checks since '09. The drop from Jan '13 to Feb '13 is interesting and I'd love to see the results when more months for '13 are provided. However, if the drop continues, I wonder if we're hitting the "saturation point" where just about everyone who wants to apply for an LTC has done so. Another theory is that with the increasing wait-times, are people deciding it's not worth it.

On the wait-time issue, I just applied for my LTC renewal and was told by the licensing agent that the wait was 12 to 14 weeks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
37,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The attached chart (taken from the article posted by the OP) shows an interesting increase in background checks since '09. The drop from Jan '13 to Feb '13 is interesting and I'd love to see the results when more months for '13 are provided. However, if the drop continues, I wonder if we're hitting the "saturation point" where just about everyone who wants to apply for an LTC has done so. Another theory is that with the increasing wait-times, are people deciding it's not worth it.

On the wait-time issue, I just applied for my LTC renewal and was told by the licensing agent that the wait was 12 to 14 weeks!
I would attribute the drop to a depletion of existing inventories.

Reactions: BugDude

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would attribute the drop to a depletion of existing inventories.
You have to have your LTC or FID before you buy anything so I'm not sure how many new applicants are even aware of the inventory issue. But possible.

·
Premium Member
37,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to have your LTC or FID before you buy anything so I'm not sure how many new applicants are even aware of the inventory issue. But possible.
I know that from early January until mid-May, my primary gun store didn't have one M&P or one common-caliber Glock in their inventory. Things have improved so much in the last few weeks there that they are once again featuring both in their monthly flier. Ammo and black rifles have returned to their shelves, as well.

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
And better-armed!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Maybe in your fascist state. Achtung! Papiere jetzt!

Here in the free world, anyone who can pass a 4473 can buy guns all day, every day.

So a lack of supply will certainly hamper sales, and therefore, background checks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I hope the facts as stated in the article are true. BUT, do not ever underestimate our opponents. They are like us in one regard: We hit them and hit them and hit them.......but they just keep coming after us. We can never let down our guard.

·
Registered
289 Posts
And it looks as though we are much more likely to put our money where our mouths are:
Gun Control: Which Side Has More Passion? | Wall St. Cheat Sheet
There's been lots of study done about how to be politically effective in the US. The bottom line is that political power doesn't necessarily stem from popularity or majority opinion, but from organization. That's why Unions, MoveOn.org, NRA, or the hated "lobbyists" often have political influence far beyond mere numbers of votes. Organization allows you to both raise money and promote a message.

Like them or not, the NRA is powerful because they provide a purpose built and effective organization for millions of gun owners to speak with one voice. They certainly drive the liberals crazy, so they must be doing it right.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I hope the facts as stated in the article are true. BUT, do not ever underestimate our opponents. They are like us in one regard: We hit them and hit them and hit them.......but they just keep coming after us. We can never let down our guard.
Well I reckon we haven't been hitting them hard enough. Personally I hate doing things twice.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
In my area, the slowdown of purchases is directly related to the decrease in availability. People can't buy what they can't find. Florida also does not require a permit to buy.

The chart also does not reflect private party transfers, which have skyrocketed since the Govt infringement attempts started. I know a lot of people who have only bought private party since the crap hit the fan).

·
Registered
938 Posts
We're more committed because we're the ones with something to lose. While people feel strongly on both sides of the issue, the targeted group is more motivated to act.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Every person has their "line in the sand"...the thing that they'll "go to the wall" for. For most of us, that is our Freedom. Freedom encompasses a lot of aspects of life, but for the avid firearm enthusiast the 2A is like the big picture window in the storefront of freedom. If someone throws a rock through that window, it is an attack on ALL of our freedoms.

That being the case, a lot of people would answer a patriotic question like "Would you die for your Freedom?" in the affirmative and would expect that most anyone else would too. Many of them don't consider what Freedom means though. So for me, yes, I would die for my Freedom...the question is would antis die to take it??? I don't think they are that committed.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Every person has their "line in the sand"...the thing that they'll "go to the wall" for. For most of us, that is our Freedom. Freedom encompasses a lot of aspects of life, but for the avid firearm enthusiast the 2A is like the big picture window in the storefront of freedom. If someone throws a rock through that window, it is an attack on ALL of our freedoms.

That being the case, a lot of people would answer a patriotic question like "Would you die for your Freedom?" in the affirmative and would expect that most anyone else would too. Many of them don't consider what Freedom means though. So for me, yes, I would die for my Freedom...the question is would antis die to take it??? I don't think they are that committed.
The catch is, I don't think most anti-gunners believe restricting arms availability/usage is taking anyone's freedom. Rather, they see it as ceasing attacking theirs, believing in the "freedom" to feel safe. And for that concept, I believe most of them are indeed prepared to go to the mat. Which is why education on the question of true liberty and infringements is so vital; without that, they're gonna keep misconstruing the idea of feeling safe with reducing everyone's ability to defend themselves.

·
Premium Member
37,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The catch is, I don't think most anti-gunners believe restricting arms availability/usage is taking anyone's freedom. Rather, they see it as ceasing attacking theirs, believing in the "freedom" to feel safe. And for that concept, I believe most of them are indeed prepared to go to the mat. Which is why education on the question of true liberty and infringements is so vital; without that, they're gonna keep misconstruing the idea of feeling safes with reducing everyone's ability to defend themselves.
I agree. Their beliefs have given rise to their use of weasel words such as sensible, reasonable, and common-sense. They have partaken of the Kool-ade, and parrot it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts