Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a new Sig P245, with Ashley Big Dot sights, for a good price. Has anyone heard of the Ashley Big Dot sights? Does anyone have any personal experience with them? I know Sig is discontinuing the P245, but it fits my hand well.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have Ashley (now called XS Sights) on my Glock 19 and have ordered one for my snubby. I wish my agency would let me put them on my duty weapon. Now I do it differently, I only use the front "big dot" and standard Novac rear sights.

Personal experience is that for those of us who eyesight is not what it once was the big dot allows VERY quick front sight pickup. Its a personal thing and I think it works for me. One more point, I also know that Jeff Cooper has the big dot on his 1911 with a Novac rear sight that has been slightly opened up. That alone should be enough of a reason but heck if you dont like them there easy to change, as a Sig front night sight can be bought for about $30.

Steve

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have the Big Dots on my USP Compact, and I love them. As fed_ said, acquiring a sight picture is very fast, so they're great combat sights. I prefer the bar/dot over a three-dot picture, so the XS Sights are ideal for me. I also have bad eyesight.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just had a set of the XS Big Dots installed on my G19. They are taking a bit of getting used to, but I'm very happy with the BIG front dot, I'm just not sure I'm sold yet on the rear sight.

-Paul

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a Sig P245 that came with the big dot night sights. It was the first time I'd seen them. I have since put them on two other pistols.
Your 245 with the big dots I believe should have the Ilaflon finish which is really nice. Mine does and I love it.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I have the Big Dot sights on one of my 1911's and as soon as I can afford it they are going on my other one.

They are not great for long distance accuracy, but for close range combat or competition they can't be beat IMO.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
They are great ! I wondered if XS took up the slack on ashley express... now I know.

·
Registered
384 Posts
acparmed said:
I have the Big Dot sights on one of my 1911's and as soon as I can afford it they are going on my other one.

They are not great for long distance accuracy, but for close range combat or competition they can't be beat IMO.
While I'd agree they are not ideal for long-distance shooting. there's a video around of a guy (James Yeager) hitting pepper poppers at 100 yards with an XS equipped Glock. That's better shooting than I'm capable of with any sights. Then again, I'm unlikely to be asked to join the FBI HRT anytime soon.

-Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments. It's nice to hear from people who actually have experience with this product, instead of "My brother-in-law's cousin's friend...". This is a great site to gather information from. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
OGT- just one more toss-in: I currently have the Big Dot on my BHP, and I'm not as fond of the Big, as I was of the "Standard" (on my Glocks). I've gone from 4" rapid fire groups at 15 yds to 8"+. Maybe I'm just getting used to it, and obviously different platforms, but...... I still prefer them to 99% of the 3-dots out there.:wave:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Don't own a weapon with the "XS"(big dot) sights on them but have shot several with them installed. For CC purposes they seem to be great for quick target acquisition at the closer ranges that we will have to engauge the BG(s) at.

If I wasn't trained with, and shoot with, ghost rings, I'd take a close look at the "XS" sights. ---------

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
:duh: My brothers cousins nephews grandma owns one and..... LOL... :duh: :gah:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Been looking at the XS sights for the CZ P-01. From the many favorable comments, looks like I need to get off my butt and order them.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
It does not matter what sights come on the gun. You can change them out to a set that you like. Got several different types of night sights in the spare parts box.

frankmako

·
Registered
419 Posts
oldgunteacher - I had the XS Standard Tritium installed on my Custom NAA .380 Guardian, & like it alot. Additionally, a guy I know up in Tenn., George S. - one of the best handgunners I've ever seen in action, has "Big Dots" on ALL of his Comp. guns (Glock's) and wouldn't use anything else! I think George's reaction to them says a "Mouthfull.":image035:

·
Registered
473 Posts
the wife and i have the tritium big dots on our 649's in addition to ct laser grips. that big dot is easier for these old eyes to find and makes it easier to find the gun in the dark,lol.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Shoot IDPA with them

I have a Kahr PM9 and shoot IDPA with it and carry it constantly...the XS Big Dots are great in all light levels...real important for CCW and also for IDPA since we shoot low-light and no-light senarios. If you have the chance to shoot low-light and no-light you will have your order in pretty quick!

I am getting a pair for my Ruger P97 soon...they afford very quick sight aquisition and are great for middle age eyes like mine. BTW, I use the standard rear sight bar on my PM9 and the big Dot up front. I much prefer the bar-dot combo over the 3-dot sights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
XS' and Middlebrook's Pro Sights rear element is a shallow V for faster sight picture acquisition. Does anyone else make a V rear sight for a Glock?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
P245 Rules!

oldgunteacher said:
I have an opportunity to buy a new Sig P245, with Ashley Big Dot sights, for a good price. Has anyone heard of the Ashley Big Dot sights? Does anyone have any personal experience with them? I know Sig is discontinuing the P245, but it fits my hand well.
Get the Sig P245! Even if it has NO sights. You won't find a more comfortable 45 to carry anywhere. I put Ashleys on my wife's Commander 45 and she seems to like them, but when I use the gun at the range, I find my groups aren't as tight. I know, it's a quick draw thing, faster sight acquisition, yada yada yada....I still like the old meprolight or trijicon 3 dot thing, with yellow on the rear and green bright and up front. That's my rig on MY P245. Seriously considering the new CT lasers for the Glock 27, though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts