Defensive Carry banner

Asking for your thoughts...

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gunthorp 
#1 ·
Having a CHL here in Texas and being a member of the Texas Concealed Handgun Instructor Association (I am not an instructor, all CHL holders can join and support the organization) brings an added benefit of being able to apply for and obtain a 'self defense' insurance policy.

I have been thinking about getting the insurance, and since there are so many experienced folks here, I am wondering what your thoughts are on something like this and if you think it would be worth the investment?

Also, is the same, or something similar offered where you live ?

Here is the link, and I thank you in advance for your input:

http://www.chlpp.com/home.html

#2 ·
The only similar plan with which I am familiar is the NRA's excess liability policy, which will reimburse you if you are either not charged or acquitted.

Skimming your link, if I didn't miss the fine print, it seems like this one works whether you win or lose in the legal action.

#3 ·
Well this is the million dollar question! I have asked this same thing on other forums as well! also seeing it asked on others too. I can't get a definitive answer as to what others are doing to protect themselves! seems as if 99% are not covered. I also can't find much on who offers coverage for CCW holders. The Texas plan seems good and have heard of others that have it as well as the NRA insurance. Don't be fooled, your homeowners or umbrella policy will not cover you if the intent was made by you to commit a forcible act upon someone! (Shooting to kill) even if you are protecting your life.

The only way a "home owners" policy like this will pay out is if you unintentionally shoot someone, an "accident". The Texas plan seems to be an isolated program, I haven't heard of many like it other than the NRA insurance.

I somewhat lost interest out of frustration with it and you asking the same questions I have had has started a fresh outlook to this and I am interested to see what others are doing as well. I bet this will be as before with not many thinking they will need it or have never thought about it or will say something like, there's nothing to take, why should I be covered? I say to them why do you CCW then if you think you will never need to use your gun to protect yourself? chances are you will not need to use your CCW rights but there is always that chance as with anything. I would rather protect myself and not need it than need it and not have it! Sound familiar?

I would hate to think that I have worked hard all my life to let some $hit head BG's family that tried to rob me at gun point and lost! take everything I have suing me for wrongful death! I don't think so. I have gotten with a very good local Lawyer that is known for protecting the CCW community's rights but that will be very expensive if I have to retain him having to defend myself! plus if any stupid jury actually awards the BG's family any money that I will be paying out for the rest of my life.

I'm defiantly worried about the potential outcome if this ever happens. I am not about to be one that say's we will cross that bridge when it comes. I am ready for the good debate.

Ti.

#4 ·
I guess because of my age I think less about this than I perhaps should.

I look at insurance the same way as the insurers - risk assessment - in order to determine as I see it, whether shelling out possibly large bucks is actually worth it. Sorta statistical appraisal if you will.

I consider my odds good - and so the chances of needing this are remote to point where I decide not to seek anything. Maybe I should - more likely to if I knew of a specific option and costs etc.

Bottom line would be - in the unlikely event that I did get caught up in an SD shooting then - well - I will still be around and will have to deal with things best I can. In fact in some ways - I find it hard to see any insurer wanting to give me cover other than for punitive costs!!

#5 ·
P95Carry said:
I guess because of my age I think less about this than I perhaps should.

I look at insurance the same way as the insurers - risk assessment - in order to determine as I see it, whether shelling out possibly large bucks is actually worth it. Sorta statistical appraisal if you will.

I consider my odds good - and so the chances of needing this are remote to point where I decide not to seek anything. Maybe I should - more likely to if I knew of a specific option and costs etc.

Bottom line would be - in the unlikely event that I did get caught up in an SD shooting then - well - I will still be around and will have to deal with things best I can. In fact in some ways - I find it hard to see any insurer wanting to give me cover other than for punitive costs!!
P95Carry,

Because of my age - 56, I am beginning to think more about something like this than I ever have before. I recently retired and live comfortably. The thought of all of that, or even a part of it being taken away, has me interested in the policy, or whatever else is available.

As far as the cost, the one in the link is $129.00 a year. To me, that seems to be an inexpensive price for some peace of mind; but I have still not made up my mind to commit to it yet...... thus the reason for my post here to see what others think about the topic.

#6 ·
NRA Endorsed Insurance

Link Click Here

Self-Defense Coverage
Introducing new protection for defending yourself in the courts and in your home.
An exclusive offer for NRA members only.
Now there is insurance available to back up NRA members who need extra protection not found in most homeowners' policies.
The new Self-Defense coverage is a rider to the Excess Personal Liability coverage. It provides civil defense and liability and criminal defense reimbursement if you are involved in an act of self-defense.
What is Covered
Provides coverage up to the limit selected for bodily injury or property damage caused by an act of self-defense.
Cost of civil suit defense is provided in addition to the limit of liability for bodily injury and property damage.
Criminal Defense Reimbursement for alleged criminal actions involving self-defense when you are acquitted of such criminal charges or the charges are dropped.
Liability Limit Options
$100,000 Combined Single Limit with $50,000 criminal defense reimbursement sub-limit
$250,000 Combined Single Limit with $50,000 criminal defense reimbursement sub-limit
Click here to apply for Self-Defense coverage today!
Note: The above descriptions are a summary and not complete descriptions of all terms, exclusions and conditions in the master policy on file at NRA Headquarters.

#7 ·
Ahh - confession time Dave - had not gotten to following that link. Will do so directly.

Well I am "only" four years your senior and so maybe - yes, I should contemplate that for same reason as you. I am all but retired - at least kid myself I am - and sure do not want to lose my small funds cache.

#8 ·
This will eventually be on everybody's radar. The NRA is probably the best source for those who instruct, carry, or own several firearms.

#9 ·
QK - thx - I really must give this some serious consideration - more I think on it.

Now wondering which might be the better option - the one in Dave's original link or the one via your link.

#10 ·
At 51...
I have homeowners, mutiple vehicle, life, medical and dental insurances.
I pay more for insurance than for everything else in my life combined.

I shoulda got into the protection racket when I had the chance...

People will come up with an excuse to sell you "insurance" for anything you can imagine.
What does this "insurance" cover?
Legal fees?
Civil suits and damages?

I'd run away...very fast.
The only positive thing would be to the agent's bank account.

Think of it this way...
You have decided to carry a gun.
You have trained and practised.
You know the ins and outs and consequences.

You're going to make regular payments to some corporation so if you ever have to actually put your training into practice and kill somebody your legal fees will be covered?

Maybe in the world today that is the way to go...
Just seems damn foolish to me.

#11 ·
We can appreciate how those feel, who have dedicated their lives to helping others, and are now being driven out of their professions by insurance, doctors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.