Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else owns one of these. I picked one up a few years ago and it was the forst handgun that I personally owned. I had never heard of it when I got it but it was thrown into a deal I was making with some other guns. After years of owning and shooting it now, I am in love with it. It is a big, bulky, ugly weapon with no grace in it's appearance. Boxy corners and would be a horrible CCW except possibly the 17+1 capacity.

I have had several people who have looked at tell me what a POS it is and that I should get rid of it for a Glock. I really don't think I will ever do this though because I have approx. 10,000 rounds through it now and have not had a single issue. Not one FTF or FTE. I have several other handguns now, including a M&P .40c, LCP, and Bodyguard .380, but this is still by far my favorite handgun to shoot.

Anyone else who has shot one share my opinions with it? Or have you had issues with them? Just curious since from what I can tell, it is not a popular weapon.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I've never heard of or seen one til now (checked google images) - I actually like the way it looks. :blink:

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I own the .45 version and I think it's a pretty decent shooting pistol. Very Sig-like in function. Biggest downside to them is lack of parts if it breaks, which mine has not, but I don't shoot it much.

I'm on my phone otherwise is give you some history on them. You can google foo and find out about them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,492 Posts
I've always admired Astra, have owned a few over the years, and still have an old .25 ACP Astra automatic. They made good, serviceable pistols that mostly seemed of better quality than LLama.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some research years ago when I first got it and pretty much gathered that it is a spanish knock-off of the Sig. A lot of my friends that shoot it complain of how heavy it is but that is one of the features I love about it. I can fire it one-handed (when I'm shooting for the sake of shooting, not practice) and keep almost as good control over it as my M&P with both hands.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
the biggest complaint i've heard about Spanish handguns has been that they sometimes used softer steels that didn't hold up very well. if OP has 10K rounds and zero problems, his was well made.

i would recommend any Star, Astra, or Llama owner who is happy with their gun to try and have enough spare magazines. Numrich Gun Parts would be the place to begin any search for parts. i would rank the Spanish handgun manufacturers in the order i wrote, from (typically) higher quality to lower. YMMV

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
My first carry gun was an Astra A-75 .40. Solid well built gun. I still own it although it is no longer in my carry rotation. It is the only .40 I still own. I keep her for sentimental reasons.

Reactions: mgillitzer

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
looks nice,I always enjoy finding there foriegn heavy metal pistols
and they are normally a bargain.......post up some pics

·
Registered
330 Posts
looks great but never handled one

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
9MM.jpg

This is currently the only pic I have of it. My father-in-law has it right now since a few months back he got broken into and his house was cleaned out, including all but one of his firearms. I had to let him borrow something smaller that a .44 Magnum for protection when he is on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts