Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically what I decided I decided to do was go to the range and only shoot 3 yard distance until every single round is in the smallest circle of the bullseye. Once I can do that I am going to move up to 5 yards, then 7 yards, then 10, and so on an so forth. However, I also want to practice prone and kneeling. Should I start shooting kneeling right off the bat at 3 yards? Or would it be better to wait until I can nail shots at say 10,15 or even 25 yards before I start kneeling/prone at 3 yards? Thank you.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'd say get decent at 15 yards, and then add in kneeling, then one you're good with kneeling, add in prone. You will find that you will go through the kneeling portion quickly, since all you are doing is dropping to one knee. At 10-15 yards, you can try to get it all in the black, but, a 4-6 inch circle should be good enough i would think. Once you get that stuff down, you can work on tightening up your groups more, or push out to 20 and 25 yards. My opinion, however, and guys more experienced may come along with other suggestions.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Basically what I decided I decided to do was go to the range and only shoot 3 yard distance until every single round is in the smallest circle of the bullseye. Once I can do that I am going to move up to 5 yards, then 7 yards, then 10, and so on an so forth. However, I also want to practice prone and kneeling. Should I start shooting kneeling right off the bat at 3 yards? Or would it be better to wait until I can nail shots at say 10,15 or even 25 yards before I start kneeling/prone at 3 yards? Thank you.
When I started L.E. in early 1970's we shot out to 35 yards. 35 yards were shot kneeling. 25 yards was shot standing and using barricades. 15 yds, 10 yds, 3 yds, were shot standing unsupported. 15 and 10 yds were shot using two-hand hold. 3 yds were shot both strong hold and weak hold. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I feel that an attacker within 15 yards has the ability to be upon you quickly; so shooting from standing would be what I would do. If it is necessary to shoot at an attacker past that distance ( that could be a big IF ), and you need the more stable position to place a hit, then do it.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
If you need to kneel or go prone then you probably should not be taking the shot. Yes there may be a few oddball scenarios but they are not typical.

Shooting between your legs while on our back sounds more practical to me. But don't shoot your legs or wear shorts when practicing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I will go a different route....

I would say practice at 5 feet, drawing and shooting from retention, until you can draw and put at least 2 shots, accurately, on target in 1.5 seconds or faster. Under 1 second should be the goal. Master this skill before moving any further away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Probably some consideration to this question would rest on the shooter's physical condition. At my age, some of the issues I face means that if I kneel, I'm going to be there for a bit, and the ability to retreat or reposition goes out the window. I must also consider the appropriateness of initiating or continuing a shooting situation at distance - perhaps that is not the best option if the target is that far away. Certainly every situation is different, and I am just thinking out loud, not advocating for any particular action or decision.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
50-yards.

Reactions: bodan399

·
Premium Member
7,149 Posts
There are things to work on way before you practice kneeling or prone. As others have said, the likelihood of needing to shoot from a prone position is so low that it should come way, way later in your learning curve. Practice at the various distances out to 15 yards, BUT be sure to practice ONE SMOOTH DRAW, making sure your shooting hand is positioned exactly right on the grip before removing the gun from the holster. As you draw, when the gun is chest high or even lower, bring your supporting hand to its proper position and then thrust your arms out straight. When you get that right, your sights should be lined up properly and that first shot should be right on target. Do this slowly until you get it right every time, and then you will find you are getting faster. Step by step.

Then practice getting that first shot off and on target in less than 2 seconds.

Remember that the farther away from the target you are, you are making more precision shots and that probably will take longer to get the first shot off and on target properly. When you get out to 25 yards, which you will do if you choose to do competitive pistol shooting, you should be good enough that it will only take mili-seconds longer to get and keep the gun on target.

And then learn to shoot on the move, which will make you a much more difficult target for the bad guy.

AND THEN there is learning to point shoot, which is really what happens in a self defense situation where you actually do not have time to get the sights up and aim.

For me, with every bit of training I have ever done being for self defense, if I shoot a 3" x 3" centered group at 10 yards, I feel very good.

I've been shooting for well over 20 years and each time I go to the range I work on one or two of the myriad things that go into remaining proficient with my handguns.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
3, 7, and 15 yards works for me.
Two hand grip, Then strong hand and weak hand.
Holster drills on presentation with an unloaded weapon. Special mag with snap caps for clearing drills. The usual stuff.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Just a thought from an old Bullseye Shooter. If you can accurately place shots on target using your dominant hand at 25 and 50 yards standing off-hand, that is, only one hand holding the pistol, then you only need a small amount of two handed practice which focuses on the right grip with the support hand.

After that, shooting kneeling and prone is a piece of cake. Just my observations.

·
Premium Member
33,785 Posts
I would suggest some professional, or at least competent training before pursuing your training endeavors much further.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd say get decent at 15 yards, and then add in kneeling, then one you're good with kneeling, add in prone. You will find that you will go through the kneeling portion quickly, since all you are doing is dropping to one knee. At 10-15 yards, you can try to get it all in the black, but, a 4-6 inch circle should be good enough i would think. Once you get that stuff down, you can work on tightening up your groups more, or push out to 20 and 25 yards. My opinion, however, and guys more experienced may come along with other suggestions.
Great idea. Thanks. So for under 10 yards I will aim for all in the black. Then move on to 10-15 until I can get 4-6 inch circles. Then start kneeling, then prone. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I started L.E. in early 1970's we shot out to 35 yards. 35 yards were shot kneeling. 25 yards was shot standing and using barricades. 15 yds, 10 yds, 3 yds, were shot standing unsupported. 15 and 10 yds were shot using two-hand hold. 3 yds were shot both strong hold and weak hold. Hope this helps.
Helps a lot thanks. Just to confirm. 2 hand hold means using 2 hand as grip and Strong/weak hold are 1 handed?
When you say standing unsuported that means not having your hands supported by the "barricade"? Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel that an attacker within 15 yards has the ability to be upon you quickly; so shooting from standing would be what I would do. If it is necessary to shoot at an attacker past that distance ( that could be a big IF ), and you need the more stable position to place a hit, then do it.
I 100% agree. The only reason I wanted to start at 3 yards for the kneeling was because I felt it would then be easier to transition to further distances once I can nail 3-15 yards with ease. I may be totally off base though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will go a different route....

I would say practice at 5 feet, drawing and shooting from retention, until you can draw and put at least 2 shots, accurately, on target in 1.5 seconds or faster. Under 1 second should be the goal. Master this skill before moving any further away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That is a good plan and I am going to add that in. Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are things to work on way before you practice kneeling or prone. As others have said, the likelihood of needing to shoot from a prone position is so low that it should come way, way later in your learning curve. Practice at the various distances out to 15 yards, BUT be sure to practice ONE SMOOTH DRAW, making sure your shooting hand is positioned exactly right on the grip before removing the gun from the holster. As you draw, when the gun is chest high or even lower, bring your supporting hand to its proper position and then thrust your arms out straight. When you get that right, your sights should be lined up properly and that first shot should be right on target. Do this slowly until you get it right every time, and then you will find you are getting faster. Step by step.

Then practice getting that first shot off and on target in less than 2 seconds.

Remember that the farther away from the target you are, you are making more precision shots and that probably will take longer to get the first shot off and on target properly. When you get out to 25 yards, which you will do if you choose to do competitive pistol shooting, you should be good enough that it will only take mili-seconds longer to get and keep the gun on target.

And then learn to shoot on the move, which will make you a much more difficult target for the bad guy.

AND THEN there is learning to point shoot, which is really what happens in a self defense situation where you actually do not have time to get the sights up and aim.

For me, with every bit of training I have ever done being for self defense, if I shoot a 3" x 3" centered group at 10 yards, I feel very good.

I've been shooting for well over 20 years and each time I go to the range I work on one or two of the myriad things that go into remaining proficient with my handguns.
THank you so much for taking the time to write this up. I am certainly going to work on my draw and moving around first.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a thought from an old Bullseye Shooter. If you can accurately place shots on target using your dominant hand at 25 and 50 yards standing off-hand, that is, only one hand holding the pistol, then you only need a small amount of two handed practice which focuses on the right grip with the support hand.

After that, shooting kneeling and prone is a piece of cake. Just my observations.
So basically work on getting shots on target up to 50 yards using off and dominant hands. Then work on the others? By shots on target do you mean, just hitting the target? Bullseye? or the X ring. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
go to the range and only shoot 3 yard distance until every single round is in the smallest circle of the bullseye.

I would stay at three yards, but shoot strong hand only and then weak hand only. When you can put all your shots in one ragged hole, then move to five yards and start over. When you master five yards, move to seven. And when your not at the range, dry fire is your friend.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts