Defensive Carry banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
You should not worry about prone until you get to 25 yds. Kneeling is not a reliably stable position for a handgun, one needs to practice it the same as shooting around barricades and other odd positions. Other than "odd positions" shooting you won't gain much by using Prone at fewer than 15 yards. If you do shoot prone, or even kneeling, at close range make sure of your back stop and the angle of the bullets trajectory.

You can actually start practicing Prone at 25 yards now. It's a good way to check the accuracy of your handgun/load combo.
I like the Roll Over Prone position that is where you lay down tilting to your strong side with the strong side at a comfortable, many times 45 degree, angle to the strong arm/handgun, this leaves the support arm comfortably completing a triangle between your shoulders & arms with the handgun at the forward point, this gives you 4 points of support 1) handgun/hands 2) strong arm 3) body 4) support forearm, this also positions the head so it's in a comfortable position and not straining. Then I adjust the height of the sights by sliding my support hand lower on the grip, You will know you're in the correct position when you can fell like you could take a nap with your cheek resting on your bicep, it should be that comfortable. You may see a slight difference in point of impact vs standing too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You failed to mention if your goal is bulls eye target shooting or self defense shooting. I suspect you are thinking for self defense. For self defense drills don't minimize practicing reloads along with practice up close at 3-4 yards point shooting (not looking at a sight, just point and fire). Eventually practice drawing. Then learn to fire after the draw at 1/4 hip, 1/2 hip and finally shoulder level. As mentioned when confident at each stage practice getting off the X. DO NOT IMITATE A PAPER TARGET HANGING ON A STRING, MOVE! Videos on you tube from an instructor (also on this forum) search for robin brown in AZ. for example 1/2 hip shooting:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would stay at three yards, but shoot strong hand only and then weak hand only. When you can put all your shots in one ragged hole, then move to five yards and start over. When you master five yards, move to seven. And when your not at the range, dry fire is your friend.
Awesome. This is EXACTLY what I have been doing lol. Except I have also been doing 2 hand. What I have been doing is 1 magazine with the right hand. Then do the 2nd one with the left hand. Then the 3rd with both hands. Then just repeat until I am done for the day. I have just been doing 1 shot at a time. So shoot, scan the area, then shoot again. I have the one raggedy hole with 2 hands and with my weak hand. I am close with the strong hand, but not yet. So once I succeed in doing that I will push it to 5 yards.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You should not worry about prone until you get to 25 yds. Kneeling is not a reliably stable position for a handgun, one needs to practice it the same as shooting around barricades and other odd positions. Other than "odd positions" shooting you won't gain much by using Prone at fewer than 15 yards. If you do shoot prone, or even kneeling, at close range make sure of your back stop and the angle of the bullets trajectory.

You can actually start practicing Prone at 25 yards now. It's a good way to check the accuracy of your handgun/load combo.
I like the Roll Over Prone position that is where you lay down tilting to your strong side with the strong side at a comfortable, many times 45 degree, angle to the strong arm/handgun, this leaves the support arm comfortably completing a triangle between your shoulders & arms with the handgun at the forward point, this gives you 4 points of support 1) handgun/hands 2) strong arm 3) body 4) support forearm, this also positions the head so it's in a comfortable position and not straining. Then I adjust the height of the sights by sliding my support hand lower on the grip, You will know you're in the correct position when you can fell like you could take a nap with your cheek resting on your bicep, it should be that comfortable. You may see a slight difference in point of impact vs standing too.
Thanks a lot. I am going to start shooting prone at 25 and also add in that roll over prone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You failed to mention if your goal is bulls eye target shooting or self defense shooting. I suspect you are thinking for self defense. For self defense drills don't minimize practicing reloads along with practice up close at 3-4 yards point shooting (not looking at a sight, just point and fire). Eventually practice drawing. Then learn to fire after the draw at 1/4 hip, 1/2 hip and finally shoulder level. As mentioned when confident at each stage practice getting off the X. DO NOT IMITATE A PAPER TARGET HANGING ON A STRING, MOVE! Videos on you tube from an instructor (also on this forum) search for robin brown in AZ. for example 1/2 hip shooting:
Great point and you are 100% correct. Self defense shooting. Is qaurter hip literally the barrel the second it is pointed at the target? Basically elbow at a greater than 90 degree elbow? Any good drills or tips for getting off the X? Or should I just watch Robins videos on getting off the X? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Take a look at the LE Qualification videos from hrfunk.

You're conflating bullseye shooting and "combat accuracy". Get some IDPA targets or make your own. A 3x5 index card above an 8" paper plate makes a reasonable target. A COM OR Ocular cavity hit is a hit from 3 yards or 100 yards. Shoot, Move, Communicate.

If all your training is focused on shooting "bulls eyes", that's what you will fall back to. It can get you killed in a defensive situation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Take a look at the LE Qualification videos from hrfunk.

You're conflating bullseye shooting and "combat accuracy". Get some IDPA targets or make your own. A 3x5 index card above an 8" paper plate makes a reasonable target. A COM OR Ocular cavity hit is a hit from 3 yards or 100 yards. Shoot, Move, Communicate.

If all your training is focused on shooting "bulls eyes", that's what you will fall back to. It can get you killed in a defensive situation.
Great advice. I am going to check out the videos. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Standing, Kneeling, sitting, and prone are all three separate skills. I would say get one skill down before moving on to the next. Beyond 15 yards[45 feet] Id say taking a knee may be a very useful skill. Learning to brace that arm on a knee makes hitting a target much easier. The problem with doing that in a defensive shooting is it makes you less mobile.
A more valuable skill might be learning to find and use cover . Good Luck. DR

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I started L.E. in early 1970's we shot out to 35 yards. 35 yards were shot kneeling. 25 yards was shot standing and using barricades. 15 yds, 10 yds, 3 yds, were shot standing unsupported. 15 and 10 yds were shot using two-hand hold. 3 yds were shot both strong hold and weak hold. Hope this helps.
In additon to (almost) that I was doing 10 and 20 yards single hand strong side + same side eye, weak side + same side eye, the same two with opposite side eye.
The reason for that is shooting from behind the corner of building: you use the hand and eye that give you least exposure. But if you get something in that eye (like chips of wall due to ricochet), then you use another eye.
These various combinations are helpful for rare case when you can use just that hand and just that eye for any ridiculous reason at that gunfight moment.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts