Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking at the atm today while I was pulling some cash out - what if someone comes up behind you and says "give me all your money"? Nothing about having a weapon, but you dont know for sure wether or not he has one. What do you do? I wouldnt want to just turn around and shoot and have it turn out that the guy is unarmed. And if he is armed when you turn around he would already have the advantage of having the gun or knife drawn on you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
ATMs are dangerous places to be sure. Real answer is when you go there, enter in florescent orange state of alert. Never let happen what you have described. All ATMs I have seen a so small that to get walked up on w/ you back turned is impossible for the above state of awareness.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The only ATM I've used in the last 15 years is a drive-up. Knew a guy when I was in the Army, he was Airborne/Ranger, and he turned around and popped the guy in the face. The would be mugger dropped his gun and fled. Not the course of action I believe I would take. My course of action is no ATMs. I don't even have an ATM card for my primary bank.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Don't like them, never used one, and hope to keep it that way! The outside ones especially make you easy pickin's.

·
Banned
189 Posts
I only use the drive up and my head is swiveling like an owl while I'm waiting for my transaction to be finished. I also never put the car in park. It remains in drive in case I need to bust a$$ out of there.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
As with any public place, Vigilance and constant awareness is in order....
performing scans as much as possible and having an "escape" route is imperative in situations such as these...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Drive-up atm's are the first choice, ones in stores are always good and if I use one a walk-up atm it always one that you have to card into the little looby area so you will know if someone comes up to you and you can look out before leaving. If you have to use the walk-up do it with company.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not exactly in the same catagory but the Drive up I had previously used a lot had a brail overlay on the keys. They have since added a place to plug in one of those hearing impaired headphone devices (TYY?). There is also a sign that says "No walk ups". Which is weird because if a blind person were to walk up to read, it would be too late.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
As others have said, I use a drive-through whenever possible. When I do use outdoor walk-ups, I've definitely got my head on the swivel to keep an eye on the surroundings. I've typically got my right hand ready to draw and execute all the ATM functions with my left.

Were I approached I'd probably be very agreeable while reaching for my .45acp wallet. I've heard of one story where a fellow was confronted at the ATM and just said "Don't hurt me! I've put in my PIN. Take all you want!" while moving back, cowering. When the BG stepped up to the console he was shot 3 times. I didn't research to confirm if it actually happened that way, but it's not too far-fetched.

I do think that the use of electronic banking actually makes us more secure, if used judiciously. I don't carry around nearly as much cash as I used to (except when I'm going to a gun show!), and don't write any checks, unless I need to mail something. Checks really display way too much info.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Drive up for me too. Awareness is most important in any possible hold up situation.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Drive-up only.

However, if forced to use the walk-up, and some dude comes up behind me and says "Give me all your money (or else)", threre's going to be an enormous problem. He's getting "or else". I guess I'd have to say I'm moving and drawing. Not sure if I'm going to the ground, or to the left, or to the right, or just what. But I'm moving and I'm pulling my piece.

And unless I KNOW he just isn't a threat, he's probably going to get shot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
National Bank of Walgreens/WallyWorld/etc

I usually use drive-up ATMs, but if I just need a few bucks cash in my pocket, I often go to Walgreens and buy a new magazine or book or even just a pack of gum and get cash over the purchase.

If I need to carry more than 50-60, I'd better have a good reason for it, since I tend to use CC and Debit mostly, keeping track of my spending a lot better than my poor old brain can.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I use drive-ups; if other than daylight hours I make 1 drive around before pulling up to the machine. I either drive a full size Bronco or a 1 ton dually pick-up so I have a good field of view and keep the head rotating and scan the mirrors during the transaction.

Plus that is the license plate on the truck....so I don't get hasseled much when driving it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most walk up ATM's that I have seen usually have one of those curved mirrors so you can see behind you. I myself dont carry cash so like everyone else has said if I need it I use the drive through

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm lucky - where I live everybody still takes paper checks. I don't even have an ATM card. Those things have always made me nervous. I feel a lot better driving up to a bank in my old truck.

·
Super Moderator
16,843 Posts
I too use drive-ups only, besides having the mirrors to see anyone approaching from behind and your field of view in front and to the sides, you have a ready means of escape. Also I will pull up close enough to prevent anyone from trying to squeeze between my vehicle and the ATM.

·
Registered
139 Posts
drive up and in-store only during daylight hours. I always get into it with my wife for always trying to take out money at night. I make sure to take out money during the day so things that won't happen.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would say "go ahead heres the machine" then run away and so he gets access to the machine, i could then see if i could take him down the ground with out lethal force or see possibly if he is armed, and waht not, everything he is doing is caught on camera by the atm, and your money is insured up to $100,000, so no harm done, no deaths, maybe u will get him arrested, Everybody is happy!

well except the BG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts