Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fan of single point slings in general. They're not idea for hunting or slogging long distances but I only use my long guns at the range, plus they're on standby for HD use. I like the single point sling for indoor use as it lets me drop the rifle to transition to a pistol, open a door, etc while keeping the carbine retained and at hand. My Storm and HK USC are set up this way.

But what's the best way to attach a single point sling to an AR? I bought the kit that replaces the plate at the end of the receiver but I'm kind of reluctant to tear it down (remove the buffer, loosen the castle nut and retighten it w/o a torque wrench, etc).

Has anyone used something like a Magpul RSA? Could I just use an RSA towards the very rear of the rail and clip the sling onto that? The AR charging handle doesn't reciprocate so it wouldn't hang up on the sling. Ejection is on the other side, so issue there.

Is there a good reason not to do this that I'm just missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
A new end plate is definitely the best way to attach a single point sling to an AR - primarily because that is the logical balance point.

I actually run a Burnsed loop and socket on my two point vickers sling, along with a Noveske end plate with a socket. That lets me run a very conventional two-point setup for most purposes (because I prefer it 95% of the time), and then reconfigure the sling and rifle for single point use in about fifteen seconds. A properly adjusted two point sling will let the rifle hang in a manner VERY similar to a single point.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts

Thanks!

If I am going to carry a rifle for a sustained period of time, I like a sling. If "fighting" is going to be sporadic and I have move and transition from venue to venue, in a out of a vehicle, varying terrain and such.. I would want a sling. If all I expect to do is actively defend my home over a period of a few minutes while potentially moving about a 2500 foot residence. I don't need a sling.

If self defense occurs at home, I will very likely be finishing with whatever firearm I begin with and in very short order. I am not going to be running around my house in a vest, backup sidearm and a bump helmet. If I grab a pistol, that's my primary, if I grab a rifle.. that's my primary. Secondary weapons, reloads and all that jazz are a remote possibility in my estimation.

The biggest reason I do not want a sling in [lone] CQB is that its basically a lasso which can allow a BG to mop the floor with me.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Has anyone used something like a Magpul RSA? Could I just use an RSA towards the very rear of the rail and clip the sling onto that? The AR charging handle doesn't reciprocate so it wouldn't hang up on the sling. Ejection is on the other side, so issue there.

Thanks!
Now that I re-read your post I caught this....

If you attach an RSA in front of the receiver (on the handguard) my hunch is that it will be forward of the balance point of the carbine. That means that when you take your hands off of the firearm, it will hang muzzle up. I don't think that I need to spend any time explaining why that would be less than ideal.

The reason most people attach single point slings at the rear of the receiver is that it's behind the balance point (center of gravity) of the carbine, meaning that the carbine hangs almost completely vertical, with the muzzle down.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I re-read your post I caught this....

If you attach an RSA in front of the receiver (on the handguard) my hunch is that it will be forward of the balance point of the carbine. That means that when you take your hands off of the firearm, it will hang muzzle up. I don't think that I need to spend any time explaining why that would be less than ideal.

The reason most people attach single point slings at the rear of the receiver is that it's behind the balance point (center of gravity) of the carbine, meaning that the carbine hangs almost completely vertical, with the muzzle down.
If I grab the carbine with a pinch grip -like you'd hold a knife- right at the back of the top rail the balance point is still five or six inches further towards the muzzle. I have a 14" Keymod rail and a light on the end, plus a VFG.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If I grab the carbine with a pinch grip -like you'd hold a knife- right at the back of the top rail the balance point is still five or six inches further towards the muzzle. I have a 14" Keymod rail and a light on the end, plus a VFG.
Is that with or without a full magazine in the firearm?

Either way, your carbine must have a lot more weight out front than mine. The center of gravity of mine (14.5" BCM Lightweight mid-length with 13" KMR handguard and a light at 12:00 right behind the flash hider) is pretty much centered on the mag well. Even on my Troy upper (16" mid-length, heavier profile barrel profile) I find that the balance point is behind where I have my attachment point for my sling.

My input would be this - if it hangs in a vertical and stable manner, barrel down, when you have a loaded mag in it then I see no reason why it's not worth a try. Set it up, shoot a course with it in that configuration, see how you like it!

I would asl say that removing the castle nut isn't really a big deal. Just make sure that you are ready for all the little bits and bobbles that are going to pop out under spring pressure when you back off that endplate....and put 'em back in exactly the same way they came out. Not rocket science, but you do need to pay attention.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Empty mag or no mag- the magwell is well in front of the back of the rail. I'm talking way back right in front of the 'T' of the charging handle. I like the idea of the carbine riding a little higher up my torso. I ordered the UTG version of the Magpul RSA, should be here Fri or Sat. I'll try it out and if it doesn't work, oh well- I'm only out $13. Eventually I'll probably swap out the plate since I already bought it. Then I could use either one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts