Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspired by some recent events involving minors to consider self defense in response to an attack/threat by a kid.

You can actually invent the scenario, but answer with the following factors accounted for - The Perp is OBVIOUSLY a MINOR.

What would you do? If age effects your response, how, and what ages?

Edit- There is a weapon

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Attacks how? Age matters for nothing to me, intent if a weapon is used will determine my use of force.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Age matters not to me either....my ex once witnessed a boy probably less than 14 years old assist an older (probably a teen too) boy rob a woman in broad daylight at a traffic light in Puerto Rico. The young'un evildoer at one point wielded the older guy's long-barreled revolver as they made their getaway.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
We should have learned a long time ago that depending on the weapon and circumstances a 10 year old can kill you just as dead as a 30 year old. In some instances, the 10 year old will even kill you faster, since they might not fully realize the end results of their actions.

One guys opinion.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The child likely won't have response time(lack of training) as an adult. I would DEFINITELY move and try a non-lethal shot first, if possible and practical.

It would absolutely break my heart to kill a child, but if said child is harming others, he's a goner.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would hate to shoot a child as I would hate to HAVE to shoot anybody...but if it is an obvious situation where his/her intent is to injure/kill mysef or those around me...then I wouldn't think twice. I'm sure that the end result to this scenerio would not be without excessive recourse from the press, media, etc.

·
Registered
289 Posts
We humans are hardwired to not kill kids. It would be really hard to be faced with something like that, I am not sure at all what I would do. It would obviously be dependent on a million different factors.

Suffice it to say, a kid would get some additional consideration that an adult would not, for me. I'm just built that way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Kid shootings

Here in south-central PA, a middle school principal was killed by a skinny 14-year-old. In fact, I believe that most of the school shootings were done by children younger than 16.

In Gettysburg, PA the other day, a GUN SHOP owner was shot by a 15-year-old and a 16-year-old. They apparently got the jump on him and shot him 3 times with a .22 - in broad daylight. He was in serious condition, but I am unable to find any updated information on him. Police caught the teens when they crashed their getaway car.

I might hesitate if it's a kid - I just pray I wouldn't hesitate too long. You'd definitely be crucified in the media and probably sued by his mama, who'll say he was such a sweet darling boy who would never hurt a fly.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
the man who drew his gun to stop the shooter in the Tacoma mall here in washington didn't shoot cause the bg was a kid and the man got shot. People should remember the wars. many good men died in Viet Namcil;led by children less then 12 years old. Age makes no difference, you still end up dead if you don't act.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think the hesitation factor may naturally be there, since kids are supposed to be subordinate to adults, and we are supposed to be the protectors of children. But if one is bent on killing me, I hope that hesitation factor goes out the window and I do what I have to to stay alive.

I do agree that kids can be just as, or even more, dangerous than an adult, because of their youth and inexperience in dealing with consequences.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
A friend who spent significant time overseas responded to a similar question by his girlfriend at the time:"4, 14, or 40. If it has a gun, and its pointed anywhere near me- its gonna die..."

As a society, we have raised roughly 3 generations that have no familial hierarchy (ie, that is why they function with the gang sub culture), they are accustomed to instant gratification, have an exaggerated sense of self-worth, and are isolated from any "pro"active society (gangs are reactive- their efforts are in response to activities by other gangs, LE, etc., and the do not seek the advancement of the individual.) The weapon imparts the ability, be it a gun, knife, club, etc.. React accordingly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
can you say oleo capsicum pepper spray ? I can

don't let disparity of force expose you to a lawsuit

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
As I tell my students....old enough to shoot....Old enough to get shot.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
no such animal as a non-lethal shot in a self defense scenario...

jarhead79 said:
I would DEFINITELY move and try a non-lethal shot first, if possible and practical.
No such thing. Use of a firearm...even DISPLAY of a firearm so as to deter an attack is de facto use of deadly force and if you do that some judge is going to be saying to you;Well, you used a firearm, so you employed deadly force....but you shot them in the leg a nonlethal area so you must have...deep in your heart really not believed you had to use deadly force.... The funny thing is that in a civil action this is the last thing you want to imply: That you were looking to KILL somebody...anybody. That's why most folks encourage the phrase "Fired to stop the attack...." used in such a situation.

That's legally. Tactically, which is a more difficult target: An extremity such as an arm or a leg that is almost guaranteed to be in motion or center mass? That could be moving, too...but it'll still be much easier to hit. What are the possible consequences of a miss? Maybe a dead witness?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Snowshoes said:
Sorry, that doesn't work for me if the attacker is wielding deadly force. If non-lethal force is a viable option I'll gladly take it, but I won't risk innocent lives to protect that of an aggressor. There's a reason they're called "bad guys".

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Age is irrelevant. If you life is in danger, it's in danger.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Snowshoes said:
"The weapon imparts the ability- react accordingly." Also, be careful, the little ones like to run in packs- one will make the contact, the others attack while the target is distracted. They are well aware that age can work for them.:dead:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts