Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you worry about the business end of your carry gun pointing at innocents behind you?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I don't, because I leave it alone if I'm carrying it that way and keep my fingers off of it.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Me neither. Contrary to what a lot of the idiot libtards think, I seriously doubt if my "evil gun" is going to go off all of it's own volition! I put it in the holster and then keep my hand off of it. At night, I take it out of the holster and put it in the nightstand. No chance it is going to "go off" by it's self.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,585 Posts
Yeah, I saw Diehard 3, too. It doesnt work that way.

I have two Galco Miami Classic shoulder rigs. The triggers on the weapon are covered, AND there is a backstrap holding the gun in place.

Now you tell me, why should I be worried?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just wondering because my ccw instructor told us it was not a good way to carry ones gun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I saw Diehard 3, too. It doesnt work that way.

I have two Galco Miami Classic shoulder rigs. The triggers on the weapon are covered, AND there is a backstrap holding the gun in place.

Now you tell me, why should I be worried?

I made my own shoulder rig (I'm a leather crafter) using a Miami Classic as my pattern, so mine is similar to yours.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I dont worry about innocents behind me. My shoulder holsters point down.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,950 Posts
I pocket carry a Springfield XDS-45 as a BUG. If you are setting across from me in a room, there is a condition one .45 ACP pointed at your junk.

·
Premium Member
6,585 Posts
I guess I dont agree with your instructor. Dont get me wrong, I generally DONT use a shoulder holster.

Mission determines equipment. There are times when its just the right holster.

Perhaps he didnt like the draw method. I like it, and its sure good for driving situations.

I was just wondering because my ccw instructor told us it was not a good way to carry ones gun.

·
Registered
343 Posts
No worries here. Been using this type of holster for years. Love it!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Just because somebody "teaches" a class, doesn't actually mean they know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
There are arguments against a horizontal shoulder holster. The main one that would worry me is that it's very easy to sweep some part of your body or other people with the muzzle when you draw. I understand that some trainers discourage their use on the range to avoid this. Also, it's more difficult to draw quickly than IWB when standing, though I see it as a big advantage when driving.

As for the folks behind me, it would make me slightly uncomfortable just because of the principle, and I don't use mine except around home for this reason. But realistically, it's safe. There's no way to wear a holster that can avoid pointing towards people in some circumstance. For example, go above the first floor, and even a gun IWB can be pointed towards those in the floors below. A gun that presents a real danger of going off while holstered shouldn't be carried at all.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
There are arguments against a horizontal shoulder holster. The main one that would worry me is that it's very easy to sweep some part of your body or other people with the muzzle when you draw. I understand that some trainers discourage their use on the range to avoid this. Also, it's more difficult to draw quickly than IWB when standing, though I see it as a big advantage when driving.

As for the folks behind me, it would make me slightly uncomfortable just because of the principle, and I don't use mine except around home for this reason. But realistically, it's safe. There's no way to wear a holster that can avoid pointing towards people in some circumstance. For example, go above the first floor, and even a gun IWB can be pointed towards those in the floors below. A gun that presents a real danger of going off while holstered shouldn't be carried at all.
Question is how often do you draw your gun that you are sweeping people. Look at it this way, you are sitting at a stop light, a group of pedestrians are crossing in front of your vehicle, your foot is on the brake. How is this scenario different than drawing your gun? Your foot could easally slip off the brake and hit the accellerator. Simular situation just a different weapon.
People never give it a second thought about crossing in front of a 2000lb. automibile. Don't know about you but my dexterity in my hands is a whole lot better than in my feet and I don't worry a whole lot about running people over.

·
Banned
255 Posts
There was a story in the news not long ago. A woman Hugs an off duty cop at a BBQ, the gun in his shoulder holster went off somehow and killed her (hug from behind?).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not worried a bit. Its a great way to carrying for bikers. My wife wears one, but I am leaning toward a crossdraw for rideing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just because he didn't prefer this method doesn't mean I won't use this holster. I put a lot of time in making this holster not to use it (late fall, winter, and early spring). I agree with everyone whose not worried because all modern guns are safer now than ever. I was just posing this question to see what you all think. I don't have my ccw license yet. It should be coming in the mail within the next 3 weeks (hopefully sooner). Thanks to all responses so far, and will keep an eye on my thread for further responses.

Reactions: StormRhydr
1 - 20 of 61 Posts