Defensive Carry banner

261 - 280 of 506 Posts

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Okay just how the heck am I supposed to change my password when I have to enter my old password, which I do not remember, in order to make a new password. Guess I better contact the powers that be for my old password info so I can move on from this conundrum.
Using the <change password> feature on vBulletin: click.

You just need to know which email address you originally used to register. An email with all resetting information will be sent to that address. Follow the bouncing ball, from that point. Don't need to know the current password in order to change it to something new.

·
Administrator
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Using the <change password> feature on vBulletin: click.

You just need to know which email address you originally used to register. An email with all resetting information will be sent to that address. Follow the bouncing ball, from that point. Don't need to know the current password in order to change it to something new.

If you're having trouble remembering your passwords, you can send us a PM, we'll send you a generic password to use to log in with and then you can change it with that.

lee

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
If you're having trouble remembering your passwords, you can send us a PM, we'll send you a generic password to use to log in with and then you can change it with that.

lee
So the owners can read our emails if it chooses to ?? if you supply the "Temp" PW then you could go in and see stuff and slide back out ??? am i seeing this right , i will admit i am as dumb as a flat rock when it comes to computers. ask ccw9mm he will vouch for me .:embarassed:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
So the owners can read our emails if it chooses to ?? if you supply the "Temp" PW then you could go in and see stuff and slide back out ??? am i seeing this right , i will admit i am as dumb as a flat rock when it comes to computers. ask ccw9mm he will vouch for me .:embarassed:
Not quite. Sure, they could change the password and log in with your account, but they wouldn't have the old password to change it back to.

·
Administrator
143,384 Posts
As long as I have been here no Admin has ever had access to member private mail, member passwords, or e-mail.

And I do not know of any time going all the way back to Bumper and CombatCarry.com where any private mail or e-mail was ever read, viewed...etc.

We have erased some member personal profile areas and signature areas from banned members for obvious reasons but, that was necessary.

So...no members have ever been victims of Spying operations.

We have searched the Internet for forum names to see if suspected Spammers were Spamming other web locations with the same repeat crap being posted here but, only as an affirmation that a suspected Spammer was a repeat Spammer.

·
Registered
34,025 Posts
I think you just insulted a flat rock somewhere.

·
Registered
34,025 Posts
Sure you are, Fluffy.

Reactions: ks kid

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Well, this is just lovely. I know I do not HAVE to go by the recommendation but do they really think this is practicle?
Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and
It appears they have bought out several forums I go to. So am I expected to create 5 unique PW's like TAngo*&%$ (but not the same mind you) and have to change them every year.

Yes, I know this is continueing a gripe but this is plain ridiculus.

There is no security reason to do this. Almost everyone here has said they are not concerned about this. This does not prevent someone from stealing PW's in the future.

My concern is (and yes, for once I am putting on a tinfoil hat) is that "they" know most folks will use the same PW as banking and other sites. If someone steals the PW file they now have an updated list of PW's. And yes, I know the PW file is secured but I also know that hackers can get into the file.

I prefer fluffy1 for all my simple accounts (forums) and FLuF*&9!##) for banking.

Rant over.

BTW: when entering complex PW's with an Iphone I forget sometimes which special character is which. If I type it in on a QWERTY keyboard I know what it is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Changed the password. Wow, that was easy. No lightning bolts. PC didn't melt down into a puddle of plastic and silicon slag. Although sometimes I wish it would.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Changed the password. Wow, that was easy. No lightning bolts. PC didn't melt down into a puddle of plastic and silicon slag. Although sometimes I wish it would.
Yeah, but you gave in to the man!
YOU should stand and fight like a man until you are at the point of never being on DC again. Then give in, but only because you didn't want to hurt Fluffy's (you know who you are) feelings.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The problem is not physically changing the password. The problem is remembering a group of passwords for several different websites. If you don't use the password frequently, when you need it you may not remember which one you used for which site. I have more complicated passwords for critical sites such as bank, financial, etc. For forums where I don't don't share critical info I don't see a problem using an easy to remember password for several different sites.

Cliff

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
There is no security reason to do this.
Password files get hacked. Changing the password on a frequent enough basis means that by the time the (stolen without detection) password is broken, the odds are you have already changed it.

The problem is not physically changing the password. The problem is remembering a group of passwords for several different websites. I have more complicated passwords for critical sites such as bank, financial, etc. For forums where I don't don't share critical info I don't see a problem using an easy to remember password for several different sites
Makes basic sense, combined with my comment above. If there is some apparent to you but not easily deducible pattern for each site, then each site can still have a unique password. And see the xkcd comic I posted above. Create passwords that are easy for you to remember, and difficult for a computer to guess. And add (or prefix, or insert at some nth character) enough of the special crud to satisfy the password rules.

...when entering complex PW's with an Iphone I forget sometimes which special character is which. If I type it in on a QWERTY keyboard I know what it is.
On this, I completely agree. Patterned passwords get really difficult on mobile keyboards. I have to visualize the qwerty keyboard and then search for the right character; same problem when transitioning passwords from mobile to qwerty keyboards. Ever try the Dvorak layout? I don't use it at this time, but simply typing a password on the Dvorak layout when using a qwerty keyboard adds a layer of diffusion.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management
This kind of crap just pisses me off. If there is one thing I hate it's people telling me what their doing for me for my own good. I got your email letting me now about the changes this evening - it let me know that you canceled out my password and gave me a new one. How about you people let us worry about our own passwords and cyber security? I don't need anyone resetting my password for no good reason and then forcing me to change my password on a regular schedule of their choosing just like I don't need anyone telling me how big a soda to drink, what size magazine to use in my firearm, or what temperature to set my heater or air conditioner at. You've now made my experience here less than the "best" it can be because you're screwing with it. This is ne of the last things I thought I'd ever see - Nanny admin on a gun forum.... nice.

Thanks a bunch,
WC145 (Who, in real life, is an actual adult who makes his own decisions and lives with the consequences of those decisions every day and doesn't need any help.)

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
This kind of crap just pisses me off. If there is one thing I hate it's people telling me what their doing for me for my own good. I got your email letting me now about the changes this evening - it let me know that you canceled out my password and gave me a new one. How about you people let us worry about our own passwords and cyber security? I don't need anyone resetting my password for no good reason and then forcing me to change my password on a regular schedule of their choosing just like I don't need anyone telling me how big a soda to drink, what size magazine to use in my firearm, or what temperature to set my heater or air conditioner at. You've now made my experience here less than the "best" it can be because you're screwing with it. This is ne of the last things I thought I'd ever see - Nanny admin on a gun forum.... nice.

Thanks a bunch,
WC145 (Who, in real life, is an actual adult who makes his own decisions and lives with the consequences of those decisions every day and doesn't need any help.)
I actually have to kinda agree... If this were my online bank, or work related, where there were some actual potential for loss it would make more sense. Although I guess when you get hacked, you gotta do something to respond to the possibility that it'll happen again.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Not a problem.
You can copy and paste the new password they send you to log into your account.
Then change it back to the old one :yup:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It's painless, stop sniveling!

Reactions: markand9876

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
What I can't understand is that I DID what was asked (changed my password), everything was fine but then the "administrator" (who/whatever THAT is) cancelled THE NEW ONE & sent me an email to...do the process again! So I went BACK to my...2nd one!

261 - 280 of 506 Posts