Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be sure to lock your blade when carrying either in your pocket or clipped on. The good news, no stitched required.

Reactions: joker1

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Floyd, why the sudden concern for Public Safety? Did you, uhhh...skewer yourself? :blink:

Reactions: MisterMills357

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Floyd, why the sudden concern for Public Safety? Did you, uhhh...skewer yourself? :blink:
Not as much a skewer as a slice. A bit of blood, but pressure stopped it. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I carry a pocket knife for ordinary cutting. I won't trust it for stuff it wasn't designed for, like any type of thrusting, poking or jabbing. It can and will fold in your hand and can hurt you. Sometimes you have to learn what not to do from experience.

Muscle memory applies to knives and other tools as well. When I carry a box cutter. I make it a practice to always retract it completely after every use. I know it is really sharp and not a matter of if but when I'd cut myself good if I got sloppy about my own rule. Stuff happens.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was it a OTF? Always been a slight concern of mine.
No, it was a side opening SOG, opened in my pocket and stuck out through my pants. I was sitting at the computer and rubbed my hand across my leg and got a cut. Bled a bit, but not serious. Could have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I carry The Al Mar SERT because the button is very recessed. Normally not a fan of autos, but the SERT is great for safety.

·
Registered
194 Posts
IMO, there's not much point in carrying an automatic knife if you have to use a mechanical safety. Any speed advantage over a well made one hand opener goes out the window once the safety is engaged. In fact, it's almost certainly going to be both slower given how small and stiff the safeties tend to be. That also increase the risk of not successfully opening the knife in a high stress situation. You've also added complexity and increased closing effort.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Go with an Emerson Wave or a Spyderco with a zip tie wave mod and it's faster than any auto knife. Deploys automatically when you draw from the pocket.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Wow!!! Thank God it was only a minor injury. I currently own the Microtech LUDT, and it has been a great knife. It has never opened when I didn't want it to. Unfortunately it isn't equipped with a blade lock, if it ever came open in my pocket I would be in for a world of hurt. It is one of the sharpest knives I have ever owned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
man i remember when i got my first auto opener when i was like 14 or 15. it had a safety and me a friend were building a base camp in some woods. I had just used it and put in my pocket to use my hands and didnt put the safety on because i was gonna take it right back out. opened in my pocket and i sliced the poop out of my finger, like really bad. I dont think i had ever ran home so fast after ruining my shirt trying to bandage it myself

·
Super Moderator
18,019 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts