Defensive Carry banner

Is it possible to gain valuable and viable information on self defense and survival from a book?

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this book and while it’s humongous, I only paid S&H. Because the provider (Jason Hanson) makes his bread and butter from seminars and consulting. He’s really good and based on my education, experience and training (distinct from “education”) his advice is 100% right on. I’m posting three pix from the book to help YOU decide. I get nothing from this, btw.

Reactions: riverrambler

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the first book I ever read from Jason Hanson and I highly recommend it as well. Again, I only paid S&H. Try to buy it off Amazon and it will code over $50.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By reading these books, I found THIS book and when I found it I asked one of my old professors from my Master’s Degree if he knew of the book, because his resume from inside the FBI is 32 pages long. Including a former Director of the BSU (known from tv as BAU, CRIMINAL MINDS) and his reply was not only did he know of the book but he uses it daily as a now retired agent and active consultant/college professor. Pretty high praise.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I learned some things from reading Robert Heinlein. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is invaluable.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ONE MORE THING THAT I FORGOT! Another way this guy makes money that is a pain when you’re trying to get one of these books by paying just S&H (online of course) is that when you pay that small fee and click submit order you get a dozen pop ups that scream: “WAIT! YOUR ORDER IS NOT YET FINISHED! DON’T MISS OUT ON THESE GREAT DEALS!” Then it scrolls down through innumerable (A LOT) of offers, each of which you need to specifically disavow and they will stop at just the instant you say heck with this, it ain’t worth it. OR as I’ve learned, the moment you hit “submit order,” ignore the pop ups because the order IS done and that’s a different thing. That’s all.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I learned some things from reading Robert Heinlein. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is invaluable.
Robert A. Heinlein? I learned so much that shaped my entire life when I was in the sixth grade by reading “Time Enough for Love” and “The Notebooks of Lazarus Long.”

But most importantly by reading Starship Troopers the book (not that abortion of a movie series). In fact, of my military era from the 1980’s and 1990’s I don’t recall meeting a single infantry officer that HAD NOT read that book and had it make a serious impact.

Reactions: BBMike and GRCarry

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
A good book from a reputable author? Yes. Not every book out there is good. I read a self-defense book that was supposedly written by a black belt. Idiot! I don't recall all the garbage but as for a martial arts self-defense technique he recommended a snapping punch, like a whip, to develop power. Any boxer or martial artist will tell you that is garbage. Sting? Yes. Break a board or bone. Nope. Follow-through. Punch or kick PAST the target. And a little thing called Time on Target. It takes more than a snapping movement to transfer debilitating power to the BG. The author also recommended ALWAYS fighting back. In one scenario the BG was on the other side of the counter with a knife and nervous, probably high. The author recommended reaching across the counter (power is in close to your body) losing power and entering the slash zone. Fight someone with a knife? Expect to get cut. Nope, better reaction, based upon the info given, of course, would be to step back, open the cash drawer, and toss the money at them. Stay away for that knife!!!! If not personally threatened, let the BG get off balance by trying to climb over the counter to you, where you have HIM/HER at the tactical disadvantage and you are on solid ground. Grab something heavy/long and smash the hand if possible! Always fight back? Horrible advice. Use your brain. If they seem to just want money and run, give it to them.

All kinds of self-proclaimed experts out there, and even popular authors. That doesn't make them actual experts. An experienced fighter? A special ops soldier? Not one offering stolen valor? Probably. Ex-gang member or street fighter? Yes.

And ExSoldier, guess I need to read Starship Troopers as research for my scifi series.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t know if a book will get the job done but I watch a lot of TWD...

Todd
Well, THAT works, too. When in doubt, take the head shot.

Reactions: justahunter

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Q: "Is it possible to gain valuable and viable information on self defense and survival from a book?"
A: Yes, but only if you actually make use of the information, and actually practice the recommended techniques.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I would add that it takes a certain level of expertise and experience to be able to evaluate other's concepts and training regimens. So, yes, some can learn from books but as M1911A1 noted, you have to put it into practice to assimilate and use it.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
I just finished the book below and I think it is a very important book that everyone interested in the topic should read. They book is not without its flaws, but it was still very worthwhile. Larkin went through SEAL training, but two weeks before he would have become operational, he ruptured an eardrum on a training dive to the extent he could never dive again. He finished his obligation as a Navy Intel officer. When he got out, he joined the guy who had taught him H2H in SEAL training, doing corporate training in personal security. He has trained over 10,000 students and some have used his techniques successfully against real world violence.

The pros of the book are:
  • He really takes a thoughtful look a the true nature of violence and how it is different from simple aggression. Knowing the difference can keep you alive and out of jail.
  • He shows how the successful response to real, life threatening violence can only be one thing: To inflict a debilitating injury on the attacker before he does the same to you. Once you know "it's on" you have to strike first and you may only have one chance to create a serious injury. You have to have the right mindset and some vicious techniques, but not all that many techniques.
  • You should train slowly, getting the techniques in muscle memory. If you do a good job at that, the speed will come when you need it.
Cons:
  • He is all about offense. I agree with that, but I think defensive moves have their place, like if you are a split second away from getting stabbed, you are getting a "ground and pound" or you have gun pointed at you with the attacker's finger on the trigger.
  • I think he is a bit optimistic that the techniques he describes will always find their mark, that the attacker will not prevent you from doing them. I think you have to have anticipate some counter moves and be able to deal with that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts