Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

after a lifetime of 1911 carry it was inevitable that i would eventually find my way back. although a standard 5" 1911 is still my favorite handgun bar none, the size made concealment somewhat difficult. after a suggestion on another forum got my wheels turning (as if i need an excuse to buy another gun) i started eyeballing the 4" 1911s from various manufacturers. although i typically buy springfields, the above pictured kimber pro raptor 2 had a better feel to me than the comparable springfield champion. it was originally priced at $1,100 but after finding it for $959 at a dealer in missoula my local dealer price matched it.

ive always purchased and recommended standard off the shelf galco holsters, but since they dont offer a true 4" 1911 holster (the galco line is actually made for the 4.25" 1911) i decided to spend a little extra money on a custom holster. i never expected to find such a difference in holsters, but when i received the above pictured alessi cqc/s holster i was dumbfounded by the quality, fit, and feel. the workmanship in this holster truly isnt comparable to the galcos that have served me well for so many years, and now i want to order one for every handgun i own. this is the only holster ive ever purchased that remains at a perfect 3 o-clock position regardless of whether im standing, driving, etc. with insured shipping it was $125 from lightning arms and i consider it to be a very good value as i would pay a lot more for this fine holster.

the kimber itself has proven to be everything i expected of it. the fit, finish, and build quality are definately first class. the concept of a theme weapon seems silly, but the scale checkering is actually quite comfortable and doesnt cut into my fingers like my springfield TRP front grip checkering. although i feel that my springfield TRP is built even better, the differences are minimal. although i definately prefer the capacity of my glocks, i have no reservation in trusting this kimber as my daily carry weapon.

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Good choices, pistol and holster both.

Way to go!:image035:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Very nice, i like my SA champ. for warm weather carry, may your kimber serve you well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Great looking gun and holster.
I have always liked the looks and feel of the "Commander" sized 1911 and after a good many years of shooting and carrying an older champion 4" I went the other way and bought a 5" SA. There is really not that much difference in carrying that extra inch.

I like both sizes and will one day get another 4".

·
Registered
698 Posts
Very nice gun Natural Section,

I have never owned a 4" Kimber but have had 2 Springer Champions. They are both gone to good homes but I simply could not do without a 4" 1911........I fell in love with the Wilson Professional in black Armour-Tuff......that is until I saw the stainless version of the same gun. It is now my primary CCW whereever I roam.

I carry mine in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, IWB, and what a difference a quality custom holster makes. Even this is an all stainless steel gun I hardly know it is there on my hip.....even after 12 hours on my feet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A very nice choice. I think you'll be very happy with your choice. I've never owned a 4" 1911 but I love my Custom TLE II.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Welcome home!!! To a 1911 that is.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts

Very nice setup you have there.No matter what guns I buy I always end up with a full size 1911 on my belt.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Like Nature Selection, I too had purchased a meriad of auto pistols over the years. Everything from the Sig, H&K, S&W, Walther, Springfield Armory, Glock, Ruger, and even a couple of Beretta's. I purchased a Kimber Tactical Pro II, but had many feeding problems, and failure to extracts. After numerous Kimber mods (3 visits to the Kimber Factory) I suddently found my self with a Wilson Combat CQB and most recently a Springfield Armory TRP Operator..............thus far the most reliable 1911 I have owned, and or fired. Although it is a 5" model with tactical rail, it has become my carry weapon with the Black Hawk kydex SERPA retention paddle holster. All though a bit larger than most for concealed carry, here in Kentucky I often open carry when my wardrobe permits, or is restricted by a "Fashion concious" moment. Nice gun Natural Selection, and great looking leather holster!!!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
NS - lovely piece and for sure, wow - what a handsome rig :smilez:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Smart move going back to a 1911. I carry a gov't model every waking moment in either Sparks or Kramer leather. IMO the 1911 is the best shooting weapon made with far less recoil than a 40!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
many thanks everyone. it takes a little while to get used to carrying heavy (compared to the g31 that ive carried for the last 6 months) but the alessi holster makes a huge difference. i dont yet have the confidence in it that i have in my springfields, but its growing on me.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Good looking gun

Congratulations on your new 4 inch Kimber. The thin profile of these guns makes them much easier to conceal than wider guns like Sigs, H&K's, etc.

I personally use a 4 inch Kimber Pro CDP, and have put the thinline Alumagrips on it to make it even thinner - they cut about 0.2 inches off the grip thickness and reduce the chances of printing.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I had the Kimber TLE II and hated everything about it , mostly the re-assembly, it was a nightmare, if not careful the slide will jam.I liked my Springfield fully loaded.

Now I believe this is [Nemo Me Impune Lacesset] on my mourning ribbon correct me if I am wrong its at home and I am at work.
You will not harm me without impunity, or something like that.:para:

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
That's a nice looking pistol! Interesting grab pattern on the slide.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Thanks for the great photos - glad to hear you're back in 1911-land.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts