Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I was talking to our retirees today about backup guns. Keeping them in body armor, on ankles, in trunks, etc.

Does anyone here have a personal account (or that of an acquaintance) of an instance when a backup gun was used and how it was deployed?

I ask because I'm wondering how I'm most likely to use one. I'm not aware of any specific backup stories being used in my agency but then I'm new.

Thanks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
This happened last year in August

Taken from my email.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Homicide Bureau detectives are continuing their investigation into the circumstances surrounding a deputy-involved shooting that occurred in the 38500 block of Larkin Avenue, Palmdale, Friday at 6PM.

Palmdale Station sheriff's deputies responded to a call of a male acting violently, family members reported that the male relative was possibly under the influence of drugs. However, he left the location prior to the deputies' arrival.

Deputies began searching the area for this individual. While deputies were patrolling the area, they were flagged down by an off-duty Los Angeles Police Department officer who told them that he and his fiance had just been assaulted by a male with a metal pipe. The suspect matched the description of the person the deputies were searching for.

Two deputies saw a man matching the description of the suspect standing in the middle of the street in the 38500 block of Larkin Avenue. When the suspect saw the deputies, he fled into the rear yard of a residence. The deputies followed the suspect into the rear yard.

The suspect attempted to scale a high block wall, but deputies were able to pull the suspect down from the wall and a physical altercation ensued.

During the fight the suspect gained control of one of the deputy's duty weapon, and pointed it at him. The deputy quickly pushed the suspect's hands upward and at that moment the suspect fired at least one shot into the air.

The deputy drew his back-up weapon and fired multiple rounds at the suspect. Simultaneously, the second deputy saw the suspect with a gun and fired multiple shots at the suspect.

The suspect was struck multiple times in the upper torso; he collapsed and dropped the deputy's duty weapon. Paramedics pronounced the suspect dead at the scene. One deputy sustained a broken hand during the altercation and was treated at a local hospital. The assault victims were also treated and released from a local hospital.

No deputies or civilians were struck by the suspect's gunfire.-

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
In the infamous Miami Shootout, about every officer used his backup gun. Such use is plentiful in extended shootouts that law enforcement gets involved with.

Civilians, not so much. Bonnie & Clyde carried back guns but they planned on going out shooting.

My opinion based on training, background, education and not being a criminal says leave the backup gun at home. You will, as an honest citizen never need it or not have the time or opportunity to get to it.

Reactions: Taurahe

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
My opinion based on training, background, education and not being a criminal says leave the backup gun at home. You will, as an honest citizen never need it or not have the time or opportunity to get to it.
I generally agree. With the exception of a few who have particularly dangerous occupations. As a former property manager, I would have to enter multi-family units that even our local LEO's would never enter without backup. I carried a BUG because it was not my intention to go quietly if things were to hit the fan.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
AS an LEO in Savannah GA, we got a lot of calls. WE had a Burglar alarm in a custom furnture factory and while myself and another officer investigated, I tripped over a plank and landed in a pile of sawdust and woodchips from the machines, weapon and all... I holstered my duty weapon and drew my BUG, at that time an M&P9C, finished clearing and filled out the report. I disassembled my duty weapon and the barrel was stuffed full of sawdust. If I had tried to fire it, who knows what would have happened. If I hadnt had a BUG , I would have been hosed.

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I generally agree. With the exception of a few who have particularly dangerous occupations. As a former property manager, I would have to enter multi-family units that even our local LEO's would never enter without backup. I carried a BUG because it was not my intention to go quietly if things were to hit the fan.
I do want to say that I always enjoy seeing someone that would agree with me on anything.

But if I may ask, how long did you have that job and how often did you need that backup gun?

For years, I have dealt with some of the meanest of the mean. I have to walk into government projects alone, at night, where responding units come in three at a time. I am one lone white dude carrying one S&W 1911 with an eight round mag. While I have had to draw my gun and while I have had to call for assistance a few times, not once have I ever needed another gun or extra ammo.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Quite honestly you will find that primary guns are rarely used, much less BUGs. Sure it happens but just read gun forums and with a very few exceptions you will find stories about scary dogs and people resulting in a gun owner drawing a gun or thinking about doing so rather than actually shooting someone. Heck, twice I got out of being mugged by just showing my gun. All things are possible but as a civilian I really do not see much of a need for a bug. It is inconvenient and uncomfortable enough to carry one gun, much less two. However that is just me. If you feel the need and are willing to do it, it certainly is better than not doing it so go for it. I like to prepare for the possible that is likely and not the unlikely simply because it is possible. Makes life simpler and more enjoyable and after 60 decades it has served me well with no harm done.

I know a lot of retired NYC LEO here in my retirement community and they and those in my family have never fired on anybody in their careers. My dad was a Federal Agent and as he says, he returned his duty gun covered in dust. Only in the movies do LEO shoot their guns daily and nobody is put on administrative leave afterwards. Instead they go and shoot some more people the next day. That is not real life and I fear too many gun owners have no idea of what the reality is, especially if they get their reality check in gun forums. :)

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I do want to say that I always enjoy seeing someone that would agree with me on anything.
Great. You make me feel old. :wink:

But if I may ask, how long did you have that job and how often did you need that backup gun?

For years, I have dealt with some of the meanest of the mean. I have to walk into government projects alone, at night, where responding units come in three at a time. I am one lone white dude carrying one S&W 1911 with an eight round mag. While I have had to draw my gun and while I have had to call for assistance a few times, not once have I ever needed another gun or extra ammo.
It took me about four years to work myself out of that job. Granted, I never needed the BUG and only drew my primary once. Even so, I have no regrets carrying a bug at the time. But we're splitting hairs here. I believe that there is sufficient risk in maintaining control over two firearms in a scuffle to dissuade all but only the most trained professional from doing this on a regular basis.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Some anti-gun peeps would say, "For years, I have...this and that...and not once have I ever needed to have a gun to protect myself."

Some like to be more prepared than others. I respect that. What is paranoia? What is over-preparedness (if such a thing exists)?

To each their own. Be as prepared as you feel you should be and do your best to balance paranoia against naivety.

For some, this will mean carrying a BUG. For some, it will not.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Some anti-gun peeps would say, "For years, I have...this and that...and not once have I ever needed to have a gun to protect myself."

Some like to be more prepared than others. I respect that. What is paranoia? What is over-preparedness (if such a thing exists)?

To each their own. Be as prepared as you feel you should be and do your best to balance paranoia against naivety.

For some, this will mean carrying a BUG. For some, it will not.
I do not have any issue with your point of view. I do not need more items to carry that I never use. Others might but then a lot of gunfighters of the old west wore two guns. Personally I do not need extra ammo. The odds of needing it are next to nothing due to two reasons: 1. I do not plan on missing a lot. 2. I do not plan on hanging around in an extended gun fight. If one happens, I will leave and responding officers can call me back once the bullets stop flying. Yet if someone wants to carry a box of extra ammo, that is their business. I go alone where most do not but I have to question some of the worlds worst and I go where they are because they do not come to me.

Yet the thread was about those that have needed a backup gun and not personal choice. So far, no civilian stories have surfaced where backup guns were needed.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
There was a dash cam video of a young officer in Selma, Al that got into a struggle for his primary with a dope dealer. He reverted to his BUG. It was on Most Dangerous.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
In the infamous Miami Shootout, about every officer used his backup gun. Such use is plentiful in extended shootouts that law enforcement gets involved with.

Civilians, not so much. Bonnie & Clyde carried back guns but they planned on going out shooting.

I think I will trust my BUG over your omniscience.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

I agree with much of what you said, but "never need it" is a strong phrase.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I remember reading an article years ago about an officer who was taken hostage by several thugs who managed to gain control of his primary weapon before abducting him. He was taken back to their hideout where he was secured to a chair while the thugs discussed how they were gonna kill him. They did not know he had a backup gun on him. He managed to free himself and retrieve his backup gun, a S&W model 36 Chiefs Special, from its hidden location and shoot his was out the encounter. I wish I could remember what magazine I read the article in but it has been too many years ago.

·
Registered
11,512 Posts
I bet the lady who emptied her revolver at the home invader who found her and her child hiding in the attic wished she had a BUG. Hit the guy with every shot, but he was still able to get away and drive for a bit. Had he been armed with a gun as well, things could have gotten ugly.

I don't much care about stories. I carry two, all day, every day, quite comfortably. LCR + LCP, or two LCPs. Mostly for better weak hand access, but it also gives me a NY reload which is important to me given the low capacity. I also don't need to be as concerned about a malfunction, and I have a spare to hand to my wife if need be.

Two is one, one is none. I've met Mr Murphy too many times to feel differently.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
the odds of ever having to fire my concealed weapon in self defense are small. The odds of needing a second gun are even smaller

....for that fraction of a percent possibility that of I may have to defend my life with a firearm............

Primary:
Glock 19 9mm
Backup:
Kahr CM9 or Keltec PF-9

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I am not enforcement and I have never pulled my carry gun as of today. When in the military our load out was based on the possible enemy and their available weapons. I am a strong believer that the hand and arm you are holding your weapon in gets shot a lot more than the rest of you so having a second weapon that can be brought to bear with your offf hand is not always a bad idea.

My kid is a special weapons guy with an added license and he always carries a bug while at work. Along with a dog leash wrapped around his right ankle pretty bizarre but it is what it is.

I keep two fire extinguishers in my jeep but I have never had to use them yet. Ayoob carries two and doesn't plan on reloading (Chicago reload)

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
I'd rather carry my knife as my second weapon than a BUG. A knife can follow you into a gun free zone. Guns can't. But if I feel inclined, my LCP in my strong side pocket acts as a nice light BUG. I do love my LCP.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts