Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Unbelievable. They patted him down and didn't find the gun. They found an open bottle of liquor, but didn't find the gun.

Also, they were trying to cut him a break and weren't arresting him, but giving him a ride home. They were VERY lucky.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
The LEO is understandably perturbed. He went a lot easier on the perp than I would have (which is one of many reasons why I'm not a LEO)

Also fortunate the guy was so drunk. It may have ended much worse with a more alert dirtbag.

·
Registered
45,363 Posts
Article should have read: Criminal pulls gun, dies, while in back of police car. Guess they forgot the cuffs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice to see that even when the police officer has his gun aimed at the BG, he's trigger finger is NOT on the trigger.. Good technique, a very good example of good training, even though he is understandably pissed at the BG, he is using safe gun practice.. Not sure I would have been as restrained!! As WHEC724 says, one of the many reasons I am NOT a LEO!!

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Having only ridden in the back seat of a patrol car never the front I don't know how it should have been handled.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Well, Notice how they drug him out of the cameras veiw. Wonder what they done after that :biggrin2:
H/D PS He got what was do :wink:

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I walked into a detention facility to check with them on some things, and bring someone to them. 3 officers and 2 detention employees were in a fight with a guy, who was winning. They were in a locked area different from where we were. They all just pushed him, and I mean ALL of them, into a holding cell and quickly locked the door.

I was accustomed to dealing with violent people, and they knew me, so they asked if there was "any way" I would help them out, because they couldn't leave him in that room and they sure didn't want to bring him out. Before anything, I asked if before or after they had brought him in , had they checked and frisked him..... "they swore they had done a good job and there was no way he had a weapon on him" . I wasn't going in unarmed, unless he was. Both the officers and the detention personnel said they had checked him.

I went in and just had them lock me in there with him. Ok, he was losing it totally .... kept threatening to kill them, and kept telling me " I could kill you right now if I wanted to" , and I told him " no you won't because then I'ld have to hurt you and you wouldn't be waking up for awhile".... so let's talk ... what's going on.

About 1 1/2 hours all together ... he eventually talked with me, realized attacking people there would only get him more charges and more problems, and all they would do was bring in an Army with them when they did it. He agreed to go shower and be cooperative.... and he actually seemed like a pretty decent guy when he calmed down. Anyway .... as I said "Ok, then let's get them to let you go get your shower" .... he said ..... "Oh , wait... I better give you this" ... and reached down into the crotch of his pants and pulled out a loaded .357 revolver and handed it to me. I told him "thanks, you wouldn't want them to find this on you " ..... and they opened the door and off he went to go get his shower.

then, I got 3 police officer and 2 detention staff in an office in another area (out of ear shot of others) .... shut the door.... tossed the revolver in the middle of the desk and said "now" .... ... and then the yelling started (by me) ...... as I gave them my opinion about their ability to search someone.

Incidents like this and others, taught me and continued to re-enforce ... to always assume everyone is armed, at all times, no matter what ... no matter what anyone else says nor where you are...... Unless they are standing there naked and don't have a gun in their hand, I consider them armed.

Reactions: cn262 and msgt/ret

·
Registered
607 Posts
Drunk man pulls gun while sitting in the back of a cruiser.

They should get some days off at most and written up at least.

Why he wasn't searched is beyond me, the officer who enters from the passenger side has the nerves to be mad at the guy and knees him. He should slap his partner and himself for being idiots.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
OK, why is he in the Back of the car and armed? Stupid Cop Video, this is!

Note to LEO - this is a Lessons Learned Video for you.

If he had shot one of them, and I did the investigation for Root Cause, I would have settled on Self Inflicted LEO Stupidy for not following procedures.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Click here-----> Text Font

Reactions: onacoma

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
If they were just being nice and taking him home then there was no reason to search him. Can't search people for no reason.
'If' is the middle word of life................ until you are stupid and forget it.

All I know is that for whatever reason he was in the back seat................... oops! Obviously not Cuffed-n-stuffed, but geeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
If they were just being nice and taking him home then there was no reason to search him. Can't search people for no reason.
Officer safety,an LEO can search anybody he has contact with for weapons,the guy was obviously drunk,prior to putting him in the vehicle he should have been searched,they are lucky there aren't 2 dead Cops as a result of this.With all the LEO's getting killed by things beyond their control even when they do everything right,these Bozos are lucky they survived their stupidity

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
well he was drunk so they were probably giving him a ride. but still it is stupid that they didnt search him non the less. a courtesy ride is one thing, when someone has alcohol in their system thats a whole nother thing.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
According to the article, they DID search him and found an open container. Apparently the problem is not that they didn't search him, they just did a lousy search because they didn't find the gun.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
...I lost 2 friends, one on my dept. and one I went to academy with who served across the bridge, because of perps put into the back seat without being PROPERLY searched...one shot in the back...one in the head...early on we did a favor for another coupla cops by taking their crazy lady in and booked her...my training officer asked them if they'd searched her and they told him they had...he put her in our squad not belted in and cuffed in front...she mouthed and threatened us all the way in...we put our guns up and took her up to the jail in the elevator...he put her purse(which she'd had all the way in) on the counter and she got more belligerant...then dived for her purse...I beat her to it and found a .22 snub...fully loaded, in it...

...my rookies got disgusted with the yammering I did about searching every prisoner yourself, cuffing in back, locking the cuffs, and using the seat belt...AND pulling out the back seat of every squad you got into to see what the last customer shoved down in it so he wouldn't get charged with it...knives often and an occasional gun...but I guess they listened...all are safely retired now...

...it ain't no game...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.