Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad language on the rise?

15K views 172 replies 96 participants last post by  Rock and Glock 
#1 ·
Has anyone else noticed a significant increase of posts with bad language? I know I'm seeing quite a few more of these. I've already seen 3 or 4 today alone.

I speak regarding character substitution or astericks in words, as if that somehow makes it ok. Maybe I'm just old school, but if you can't write a sentence without expletives, perhaps you should think of another way to get our point across.

#2 ·
What do you ##@(***@!!!!!)#### mean? (Mods, just kidding to make a point).

I agree, the Mods are letting the standards slip lately. I've noticed it also.

Fair Disclosure: The only points I have here (now gone but I still have a black mark) was for Language (which was hinted at). I respected this site and the Mod who made it a point of contention. I have not made the same mistake twice.

Mods, please keep DC clean.

The fact that this is a Civil Forum, regardless of extreme political views (both ends of the spectrum) and Polite, is why it is successful.

Again, I agree that we need to keep the Language G or just under PG (movie ratings).

There is no 'weakness' in being 'polite'. Only idiots confuse 'politness' with 'weakness', until you correct them on it.

Thanks OP for posting.

#4 ·
I don't know if it was my place to do so, but I have PMd a few people who were new and quoted them Forum Rule 4 (I think it is). If it's not my place to do that, Mods feel free to PM me and let me know. That said, I agree that there have been a lot of ******s used.

Reactions: GhostMaker
#7 ·
Meh. I've been around the worst military mouths, to teaching high school students, preachers, presidents of colleges, and everyone in between and i have found very few that don't cuss at some point or the other.

As long as people aren't intentionally defeating the censoring system set forth by the board admin then i just don't see the big deal with asterisks. Maybe they're mad or trying to get their point rammed home.

Sorry, it just doesn't bother me in the least how another adult chooses to express themselves within reasonable, coherent limits.

Especially when it's not a direct attack on any other member etc.

#10 ·
Agree. Eveyone has remaind in 'good taste' but we need to maintain a minumin baseline of common decorum. We may be here as Forum Members, but a lot of other eyes are watching to call us racist gun clingers. Regardless of the fact that this Forum has Members and Contributers of all races! Word.

#9 ·
One reason i joined,is because i hate the name calling and fussing.To me,it's even more dumb,when it involves someone you don't know on a computer.I like the fact that it's clean,but,as long as no one is cursing me,it really doesn't bother me much.No one can say anything,i haven't heard before.While i haven't been a member long,i haven't seen anything bad,so far.

#11 ·
Help us, please, folks! Click on the small "Triangle !" in the graybar immediately below the post, type your explanation into the pop-up box, click send, and you'll be on your way, and we'll follow up and save you the time.

Use it to report any Rule Infraction, broken link or the like.

It's all very easy, and we truly appreciate the help!

#87 ·
Is that like a T Rex?

#13 ·
THe the report feature to let us mods know about language or other forum violations . This way we can 1. Remind new members who missed this rule. 2. Keep track of repeat offenders.
With all the new influx of members it is bound to get busy with more violations till everyone familiarized with this forum.
Thanks,
Rocky

#15 ·
Todays society is not the society it was 40-50 years ago. It is disturbing to me to hear pre-teens, in public, swearing like sailors. I've worked "in the oil patch" for 40+ years and when around men-men say pretty much what they want. But this forum and other public places should be respected, and decorum and restraint should be the norm. JMHO.

#16 ·
I think one of the paramount reasons you see this is more and more people take the forums as an intimate conversation among a few friends and they forget that it's out there for the world to see. The minimal amount of off color verbiage seen on this board is one reason I enjoy it so much. Some of the other forums seem to feel that they'd loose people if a level of civility was required and that's their choice.

Just goes to show ya, there's something for everyone out there, you just have to look for it.

#17 ·
Speaking from the "lofty perch" of a moderator, I can say without equivocation that our standards have not slipped one iota. However, since the Newtown incident there has been an increase in both new members joining DC as well as posting activity among existing members. Topics regarding gun control issues and the scarcity of ammunition are discussed with a great deal of passion, and not surprisingly, the non-family-friendly language incidents increase in proportion. We address what we can when we see violations, but we just don't have eyes on every post that shows up.

FWIW, Rule 4 violations are by far the most common infraction. We hand out so many of these, I'd guess most of us could recite Rule 4 from memory. And just my personal observation, I've never had to whack anyone with points once they've gotten their zero-points warning.

As fellow moderator Rocky pointed out, we rely on the eyes and good intentions of our members to use the Report Post feature when you come across an infraction. That helps us do a better job of enforcing the rules which you folks obviously think are worthwhile. Thanks for the feedback!

#18 ·
I've done it myself and you are correct; it has gotten out of hand a bit but you could also look on it as a gauge of the general decline of civility that affects our society in general.
Look at the news today: the supreme court is debating a subject that no one a generation ago would even talk about in public.
Things are changing, not necessarily for the better and I appreciate your pointing out that sometimes we forget that this is not the guys standing out by the fence talking "guy stuff".

#20 ·
We have a great bunch of members and mods here. Current events bring out a lot of passion and frustration and it can fuel the language. I know for myself that my brain wants to get a bit foul sometimes, but my typing fingers ultimately do a good job keeping it all civil.

Before you post some level of profanity too quickly, put a hold on your post, take a short break, get a drink of water, then go back and re-read what you had originally stated, and I believe you'll find yourself changing it to make it more civil before you press the "reply" button.

#52 ·
One thing to mention here is that we don't make infractions public, although sometimes people will notice someone has "disappeared" and it could be that they have accumulated enough points to be removed form the forum. But if you report something it will be taken care of! Also depending on what infraction is we may take the time to discuss it amongst our selves in the back room.

Having read through the whole thread, I do want to add one thing to what QKShooter said. Sometimes words are allowed with in certain contexts as he mentioned. My favorite that will usually get you your first warning is "a$$", because there is NO doubt you are trying to get around the word since as you can see "ass" is allowed (and calling someone an ass is the wrong usage of the word).

#23 ·
While I do not read every thread/post I have not seen any "bad" language..............

#26 ·
Seriously, I have not seen anything concerning.

If the discussion progresses, the language is inline with emphasizing someone's point and not targeting a specific person, I don't really have an issue. I'm big enough to grasp most folks intent despite what words they choose to fill with.

I don't speak like that, and don't see most others on this forum do it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Seen a little bit more here and there. There are A LOT of new members all the time, I'm sure some of them don't know that even the symbol cursing isn't allowed ( I didn't at first, got an infraction - actually really appreciated the rule after I thought about it). Thanks RG for the info on the triangle for reporting things, learn something new everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.