Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad News for Gun Owners in NJ...

I could spend 10 years in jail, just for what's in my room.

I was reading THR earlier today and I came across a thread warning that a couple of the Representatives in my State Assembly are attempting to pass more gun control laws.

The two that caught everyon's attention the most were:

The rewriting of the state AWB to include any rifle with a detatchable magazine, and any ONE other feature that's "scary" (telescoping stock, pistol grip, etc.)

The one that bothers me even more is an outright ban on handgun ownership. It's bill number A812, and hasn't been introduced into the Assembly this year, however it was introduced four years ago. You can find the fulll text of the bill at www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillsByNumber.asp

The bill number for the handgun ban is A812, and for the new AWB is A2185, I believe.

I tell you, either of these passes, and I'm heading to PA, and that's forever, even though part of me loves this state.

--Jim

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
I was born and raised in NJ (but got smart and moved out when I could). Back when I first bought a gun there, I had to get fingerprinted, and apply for a separate "permit" for each gun I wanted to buy. And that's one reason why NJ has such a high crime rate overall -- it's much easier for the BGs to get hold of a gun.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jim - my heart sinks every time I hear of such totally anti 2A proposals.

I wish i knew what they (honestly) are wishing to achieve thru such draconian measures, other than penalizing the honest Joe. it sure as heck will never affect illegal gun ownership and crime, other than for the worse.

I keep asking myself, with such things - are NJ, NYC, IL MD -etc, etc - really still part of the US of A - because one could be forgiven for assuming otherwise.

Depressing ain't in it. Oh and Jim - you'd be more than welcome in PA any time dude.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
P95Carry said:
Depressing ain't in it. Oh and Jim - you'd be more than welcome in PA any time dude.

Don't forget about us down here in VA too. We really likes our guns.

It sucks that so many people can't see the forest for the trees and think they can legislate the problems away. If you get the chance to ask them about outlawing all guns to reduce crime, Ask them how good of a job are they doing in preventing the influx of drugs which are already illegal. Both will always be available due to a simple law that any first year business student can easily explain.

The law of Supply and Demand.:rant:

Despite the best efforts of Local, state, Federal and even sometimes the military, their will always be a supply to meet the demand. I'd like to see a politician answer that one.

Sorry, Rant over.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You never really, need a gun until one is in your face...We pray that this never happends but it is sad when people think guns kill people. When actually people with guns use guns to kill people. Sorry about your plight man, if possible move to where you can protect yourself and family.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're welcome up my way as well. A lot of reugees from Jersey up here, another one, a decent one especially, won't hurt.

And up here, we don't need no stinking permit to carry.

·
Registered
181 Posts
sorry to hear about those horrible proposed laws, sounds like the Cali. of the east coast. I'm so glad that my parents moved me out of NJ when I was a kid. I just read about Vermont on packing.org. It sounds like a good place to live.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Colorado's not bad either as long as you steer clear of Denver & Boulder.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Dang liberals , whish they would just move to Europe and not have to worry about evil guns.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sorry to hear this distressing news. I spent a lot of time working in Jersey and found the people to be great. Can't say as much for the politicos I ran into. A lot of corruption and acceptance of things I didn't like. I'd never be able to live there.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Jim,
I suspect these bills are just an attempt to grab some headlines. The real key is to kill them in commitee. Smaller number of politicians to deal with.
You're right, people need to be able to defend themselves and when the politicians take that away either the politicans need to be voted out of office or, as you say, vote with feet.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I live in PA and work across the border in NJ. I work out of my house, so my trips to NJ are infrequent (guest lecturer for college classes and the occasional trip into NJ for a business meeting).

It i crazy over there. Couple quick stories.

I know a PA LEO that lives across the border in PRK-NJ. The chief of the town he lives in spent the time and energy to contact him and tell him that he would be arrested if he carried to/fro work and was caught in NJ, even while in uniform.

Another guy I used to work with, drove his truck into NJ. No guns, just some ammo. Apparently that caused a problem. Got his vehicle confiscated. Not sure what else happened. Not sure if it was the terrible JHP ammo, which is illegal in NJ.

My real close buddy, a NJ LEO, stopped by my house so we could go grab some coffee. He's looking for a BUG and wanted to see what I have. As I'm clearing the 642, he sees the JHP, and says "Bud, that's illegal", me: "no it isn't", him: "I just don't want to see you get into trouble, not trying to be a PITA.". me: "in the Peoples Republic of NJ it is illegal, but in the commonwealth of PA, it is perfectly legal." Huh? Yup. NJ is draconian. He grew up in PA, with good 2A laws, got a LEO position in NJ, w/ the priviliges of LEO / gun carrying, and never gave thought to the differences between NJ and the rest of the nation (to defend him, he is only enforcing NJ law).

In the past I worked in a large corporate central office in NJ. A woman had a PFA order against her estranged husband. She had given out copies of the PFA to the guards w/ picture of subject of PFA. Guards let the guy come in. He gets to her office, draws the semi, and has a misfire or a jam. Two of my friends, both anti-gun, were right there and wrestled him to the ground and disarmed him. Now, everyone in that area "sees" that guns are evil.

Lastly, I've trained some NJ LEO in unarmed combat. I've had numerous invitations to come to their ranges w/ them to shoot. I'm sheit scared to even think of taking a firearm across the Delaware, even if I am going shooting w/ LEO.

NJ, the criminal haven. Anyone ever go into Newark? Scary. I've been there in the daytime (went to the Portugese (SP?) section for lunch. Got sidetracked leaving. Out of the Portugese section and into a different section. WOW!!!! :ahhhhh:

NJ is seriously messed up!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, JHP are only illegal for self defense in NJ, however you can use them for target practice. Also they do sell JHP in the state which leads me to believe they aren't banned.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm with John on this one, JHP ammo is definately not illegal for sale and use as a target load in NJ. Use it in the name of self defense, or carry IF you manage to get a CCW, and you're in real big trouble.

With the career that I'm looking to go into, if I'm forced to remain in NJ, I know I'll have at least one firearm (part of the job). OTOH, if this legislation passes, I'm definately moving to PA, at least as far as the state is concerned, as are my firearms (family in PA). If for some reason my grandmother should pass on before this all comes to pass, I'll move across the river and commute back to NJ.

--Jim

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
wrt to hollowpoints, I was passing on what a NJ LEO said to me. So I stand corrected. I can neutralize paper just fine w/ FMJ.

NJ is just unbelieveable!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts