Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got bad news today. A supposed dermatofibroma turns out to be Nodular Melanoma (the worst and most aggressive form of skin cancer).

The dermatologist didn't think anything of the growth but I demanded it be removed and biopsied. Have appointments with medical oncologist and surgeon this Friday and Monday.

Hopefully it isn't into the lymph nodes and beyond.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 of my friends had it removed and all are OK. Glad you caught it early.
But freaked them all out.
Anyone that goes out into the sun and doesn't retain a good Dermatologist is very foolish.
Everything about mine was atypical and the depth is the issue. I'm right at that depth of concern that it could be Stage III or IV.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Prayers on the way

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Stay after it, CD! My pop has had several hundred skin cancer spots removed, quite a few being melanoma. Sounds like you are doing a good job, but question anything you think is out of sorts and if you have to, get another opinion. I know it sounds hokey, but I think attitude goes a long way to helping with recovery (positive attitude = less stress). We are all pulling for you!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Got bad news today. A supposed dermatofibroma turns out to be Nodular Melanoma (the worst and most aggressive form of skin cancer).

The dermatologist didn't think anything of the growth but I demanded it be removed and biopsied. Have appointments with medical oncologist and surgeon this Friday and Monday.

Hopefully it isn't into the lymph nodes and beyond.
Not going to like your post, but know you are in my prayers.

My Best Friend's Sister beat Nodular Melenoma and has been cancer free 8-10 years now. It was a tough fight for her, but she's proof it can be won. There is hope. I can only imagine what they have learned in the last ten years.

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
You didn't say where the melanoma was, but having had it, let me give you a possible heads up.

I had it on the upper edge of my left ear. The wife badgered me long enough to get it checked out. Yep--cancer, melanoma. It went too deep for an "office" procedure that normally involved cutting out layers of skin until the bios show clear. I needed a surgeon.

On the AM of the surgery, to trace where the cancer may have spread, he injected five shots of day-glow nuclear stuff into the edge of my ear. All I'll say is, "Grit your teeth and bite down hard on leather!" The following scan showed a trace down the back of my ear and into the lymph glands on my neck.

In the OR, he cut out a pie-shaped piece of my ear, sewed it back together, and removed the lymph nodes in my neck. Results were a slightly lowered left ear and a scar down the neck. The node biopsies came back negative. It had not spread. The Stephen-Colbert ear and neck scar I can live with.

Follow-up treatment included a PET scan where you fast for a day and then they fill you with radioactive sugar and scan your whole body. The idea is cancer is very hungry--literally--and where the sugar is traced is indicative of where other cancer may lie. That also came back normal. The it was regular follow ups with the surgeon for a few years and forever follow ups with the Slice & Dice dermatologist.

One side effect of the radioactive shots was I set off the LEOs' radiation detectors at the truck weigh station. Their faces were priceless.

Hopefully your treatment won't be as involved, and a simple office procedure can take care of it, but expect medical monitoring for a long time.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Very sorry to hear. Hope it all gets taken care of.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts