Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was listening to a deputy sheriff give a talk about gang activity a few weeks ago, and he explicitly indicated that "home invasion" was a term for the media to use when one bad person tries to steal from or harm another bad person. He said that the average law-abiding citizen doesn't have much to worry about at home in his own living room.

At first I thought, nah, we should all be on guard. I brushed it off as sometimes true, but that is not a great thing to say to a group of people concerned about violence. Now, several weeks later, I'm thinking that it was just plain irresponsible.

What do you all think?

How does it apply to everyday living, meaning not in the home, but in the car, at work, at play, etc...?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
(A deputy sheriff) explicitly indicated that "home invasion" was a term for the media to use when one bad person tries to steal from or harm another bad person.
This is a gross distortion or lie. "Home invasion" isn't simply something that occurs to BG's.

He said that the average law-abiding citizen doesn't have much to worry about at home in his own living room.
Statistically speaking, the "average" person isn't very likely to encounter any such thing. He's right.

But, being capable of withstanding deadly violence if it does arise is sort of like having a parachute when jumping out of a plane: it's just the smart thing to do, if one wants to survive the impact.

I'd agree with you, that such claims as were made by that deputy are irresponsible.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I would guess if you figure the odds he is prob right. Thats not to say that home invasions never happen to good people but he lives and works it so prob know most of the time its bad people invading other bad probs homes.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: oldnfat

·
Registered
413 Posts
I sat here for a couple minutes trying to frame a response to this and I am still waiting for the words to come.

There is no response that works or says what I want to say. Sometimes you are simply speechless when confronted with utter stupidity.

Statistically could be true. I see a lot more of the lower income neighborhoods in the news concerning home invasions. Statistically could it be construed that lower income means more crime thus more BG's per capita, I don't know.

Does "home invasion" mean someone was home and "burglary" mean was not occupied at the time?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was listening to a deputy sheriff give a talk about gang activity a few weeks ago, and he explicitly indicated that "home invasion" was a term for the media to use when one bad person tries to steal from or harm another bad person. He said that the average law-abiding citizen doesn't have much to worry about at home in his own living room.

At first I thought, nah, we should all be on guard. I brushed it off as sometimes true, but that is not a great thing to say to a group of people concerned about violence. Now, several weeks later, I'm thinking that it was just plain irresponsible.

What do you all think?

How does it apply to everyday living, meaning not in the home, but in the car, at work, at play, etc...?
Context of the conversation is important here. If he was responding to the question "what is it called when a BG breaks into the home of another BG then I have trouble seeing any problem with what he said. Based on the info you gave us one shouldn't assume the officer is saying ONLY bg on bg crime is "home invasion"

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
This is a bunch of BS. Their trying to change the definitions of words again.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Sure the ODDS are against it, but I do not like to gamble with my life or that of my families no matter how slim the odds. I prefer the DA out here who said "lock your doors and load your guns." Reality may not be pretty, but I prefer the truth.

Reactions: Ghost1958

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
You do not need a parachute to sky dive. Unless you want to do it twice
And one doesn't need to withstand deadly violence ... that is, unless you want a second opportunity at living.

Funny, how simple such things are. Sad, how silly such dismissals are, of fairly common occurrences in every state in our country.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
I'll take Toro Feces for $400...:25a:
Now that retsupt has caused me to spew liquids all over my keyboard, everyone will just have to use their imagination as to what I'm thinking bout this deputy...as well as anyone who might succumb to his drivel...:blink:

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Now that retsupt has caused me to spew liquids all over my keyboard, everyone will just have to use their imagination as to what I'm thinking bout this deputy...as well as anyone who might succumb to his drivel...:blink:
Drivel is right Sgt...He needs his lips staples shut...

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Civilians don't need defensive weapons. Just call the police. They'll be there in minutes.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Yeah, the odds are I won't ever have to use the defensive firearm I carry with me whenever I leave the house either. The reason I carry one, however, is because I don't want to gamble my life, or my family's safety, on the odds.

Since I wasn't there, I don't know if I really object to what he said or not. Technically, it's an accurate statement, so I have no problem with it. If he was trying to imply that people shouldn't be prepared to defend themselves from that sort of act, then I'd have an issue and I'd question his legitimacy for making that sort of statement. I guess it would all amount to the context of the statement and what point he was making by saying it.

Reactions: mg27

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Context of the conversation is important here. If he was responding to the question "what is it called when a BG breaks into the home of another BG then I have trouble seeing any problem with what he said. Based on the info you gave us one shouldn't assume the officer is saying ONLY bg on bg crime is "home invasion"
He was talking about people breaking into your home when you are there or not. In context it was not a response to a question, but it was more like an aside from the topic of gang violence.

He did say the police do a great job and if you don't live near the high crime zones you don't have to worry. That statement makes me worry all the more.

·
Registered
37,053 Posts
In my area home invasions are more often drug related, but not always.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts