Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some research on the history and purpose (which seems obvious, but I wonder if it has changed) of the uniform badge. I did a google search without much success, and even tried that archaic, obsolete technique of looking it up in the encyclopedia. No luck. Anyone have any ideas on where I might look for this info?

And before someone says it, I mean legitimate badges, not the CCW kind.:rolleyes:

Thanks.

SSKC

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
A lot of badges have their own history, and of course it is an individual thing. If I recall the badge goes back to the shield, but of course I can't remember where I read that years ago....... :frown:

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Makes sense though. Heraldic shields/family crests. Military symbols of authority transfer over to a small shield worn on a uniform.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If you have access to a college library or good public library, there's oodles and oodles of info on academic databases. EBSCOhost, Academic Premier, there's hundreds of databases. Maybe you know of a college student. Doesn't matter where, internet you know.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I really oughta take my camera in to the SO - they have a very nice cased display of loads of badges, on one wall.

Might try and do that sometime.

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
The Pittsburgh Police Badge

Is 100% absolutely Heraldic in design.
In fact at one time I did find the exact original BRITISH artwork/engraving that its "design" was borrowed from. Wm. Pitt.

The Pgh Police badge features a circular Heraldic Belt/garter with bottom buckle Topped by a castle shield.

Here are the Cliff's Notes on the PGH Police Badge. :rofl:
"In 1873, the Police Badge was designed and officially adopted by the City of Pittsburgh. The badge is a unique design: The crest is from the Coat-of-Arms of William Pitt, the first Earl of Chatham, and the man for whom Pittsburgh is named. The garter around the badge is linked to King George III, the last English ruler of the American colonies. The shield is a circular fighting shield used by 15th century Greek foot soldiers. During the 16 th and 17th centuries, the circular shield was used extensively in the British Isles, hence its appearance in Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh Police Badge with its distinctive design and history is worn with great pride by the men and women of the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police."

The first original Pennsylvania State Police badge circa 1905 was Heraldic also as it was directly related to the PA State Coat Of Arms as on the PA State flag.
It featured the PA Coat Of Arms on top of a central bordered circle surrounded by a set of four geometric extended rays ~ like the N.Y.C. badge today.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy cow! Thanks, guys! Considering that this is a topic that probably doesn't keep many people awake at night, I didn't really expect much in the way of replies. I guess I forgot whom I was dealing with!

QK, I found your notes on the PIT Police badge quite interesting.

SSKC

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
SSKC - if I can get around to it when in town sometime - would a pic of the badges in my local SO be of interest - they must have a few dozen on display.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris,

Thanks for your generous offer. I'm interested in thinking behind both the design and use of badges, so if the badges you mentioned are accompanied by a description of the design or a history of the badges it would be helpful. Actual photos of the design(s) are of lesser importance. I should clarify that this is a matter of curiosity more than anything; it's certainly not part of a doctoral thesis!

Thanks again for the offer.

SSKC

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
No sweat SSKC - it would only be a pic - unfortunately.

But anyways - happy to help should it prove useful :smile: Just ask.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well heck, I use to have a link to the history of the badge in America, and how the San Francisco PD badges are the reason people started calling us "coppers" which then turned into "cops", and where exactly they got the idea from.

But now when I type in the word "badge", all I get are links to the Boyscouts of America.

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
Try Googling "badges, history", and it will get you some helpful sites.

And yes...... The Boy Scouts do have a bunch of badges!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts