Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I guess in would depend on how Las Vegas/Nevada defines leaving the scene.
The article said they left the scene then called 911. I would imagine most anywhere it would depend on the time interval between the two. If you left the scene and called a half hour later, that may not bode well for you. If you left the scene and called as you were leaving the scene, that would be a lot more understandable. JMO.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We'll see if he decides its smart to have a burger outside his car in a parking lot at 2AM again.
What I haven't determined yet is why he was out at 2 am when Vegas is still under a shutdown. It's way over on the west side of town. Near the edge of town.
I'm surprised that In N Out is even open that late considering the lack of traffic at that time during this pandemic.

A Google search says they close at 1 am.

Normal Hours of Operation
Sunday - Thursday 10:30 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
What the hell were they thinking.
It sounds like it was a case of "moving to higher ground" from my interpretation: "From our preliminary investigation we had learned that the other party involved after leaving the shooting immediately reached out and contacted police to let us know he was involved in a shooting."

·
Super Moderator
21,911 Posts
Could be, I'd think they'd frown on leaving the scene of a killing, who knows? Then you take the chance of people absconding with evidence, like the chick picking up her boyfriends gun, they're extremely lucky they even know about that gun.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I think it can be a safe move to get to a safer location in circumstances where you should be concerned about friends and associates of the attacker. It sounds to me like he made the right moves, getting to a safer location and then contacting police.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Could be, I'd think they'd frown on leaving the scene of a killing, who knows? Then you take the chance of people absconding with evidence, like the chick picking up her boyfriends gun, they're extremely lucky they even know about that gun.
Agree, I would have to be REALLY concerned with my safety to leave the scene.
I am sure we will hear all about this incident once he feels he can release more information and still protect himself legally.
Seems like he has a large social media footprint.

·
Registered
786 Posts
As far as leaving the scene goes, one guy ran away and if I wasn't sure where he was I would probably move to higher ground if I still felt vulnerable. After all, he did call 911 and didn't seem to be hiding anything.

Also, I bet when he saw the two men approaching he warned them not to come any closer and that's when the guns came out. I do subscribe to the idea that nothing good happens after midnight when on the street.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I don't think a jury would think ill of a person involved in a shooting getting to safety and immediately calling the police as stated in this article. The fact that they called immediately is in their favor. There is no evidence of a cover-up or any other ill-intent of Mr. Baldwin.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I think it was good judgement to get clear of the situation, particularly with the one guy running off. Was he running off to get a gun? Maybe get friends? Who knows? Getting to a safer location was a good move on his part.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Of course the details are sketchy and the media is often wrong, but if it happened as the article said, I am not sure I would want to hang around in an open area like a drive-in, with the second perp, the girlfriend and who knows who else roaming around. Those people could easily be planning a quick counter-attack. The girlfriend came back and took the shooter's gun, so she could easily be a threat.

In the SD law class I took, it was taught that generally (depends on state statute AND case law) it is OK to move to a place of safety as long as the police are informed as to where you are. That is not usually considered leaving the scene. However, if the defender can stay onsite it can be advantageous because he can try to preserve the crime scene or at least observe it. As already mentioned, the shooter's girlfriend did corrupt the crime scene and remove vital evidence. The best compromise suggested is for the defender to move to a safer location that still allows observation of the crime scene.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Not sure I'd have thought to move from the scene, but after reading some of these comments I can understand why that is likely a wise decision.
Too many unknowns and one of them is the guy that ran ...... and since it was observed that the girlfriend came and picked up the shooters gun then obviously others were out and about.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I saw another article on this and it said, "The girlfriend of the man who was killed arrived at the scene, took his firearm and put it in her car, Spencer (the police spokesperson) said. Police are in the process of getting a warrant to obtain the gun, he said, adding that he did not expect any charges filed against her."

I don't get this. The girlfriend was seen intentionally removing critical evidence from a crime scene, putting it in her car and driving off. First, do you really need a a warrant to just go get it? She could be disposing of the evidence. Also, why would she not be charged for removing evidence?

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
While all of us should have the freedom to buy burgers at two AM, we should also have the common sense not to do that.

Reactions: Struckat and SFury

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
I saw another article on this and it said, "The girlfriend of the man who was killed arrived at the scene, took his firearm and put it in her car, Spencer (the police spokesperson) said. Police are in the process of getting a warrant to obtain the gun, he said, adding that he did not expect any charges filed against her."

I don't get this. The girlfriend was seen intentionally removing critical evidence from a crime scene, putting it in her car and driving off. First, do you really need a a warrant to just go get it? She could be disposing of the evidence. Also, why would she not be charged for removing evidence?
The police may have her car [ imponded] and just waiting for a warrant to open the car. Once they have it, no need to be in a hurry and possibly loose evidence in court wrangling. DR

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
If she did remove it, it should be automatic that she would be charged.
Not if she is cooperating, It may be more important to get her story than to put her away! From what little is known here it would be hard to say. DR

In the case of the Utah couple killed in a home invasion. The Perp's wife was talking to him before and after the crime on the phone. And she knew what he was going there for. She is going to have a hard time separating herself from that crime. She seemed to want to profit from the crime. Even if she is talking I doubt she will walk. The best she can aim for is a reduction in charges or time. DR

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Not if she is cooperating, It may be more important to get her story than to put her away! From what little is known here it would be hard to say. DR

In the case of the Utah couple killed in a home invasion. The Perp's wife was talking to him before and after the crime on the phone. And she knew what he was going there for. She is going to have a hard time separating herself from that crime. She seemed to want to profit from the crime. Even if she is talking I doubt she will walk. The best she can aim for is a reduction in charges or time. DR
That very well could be, if they are still trying to apprehend and charge the suspect that fled. It is a shame, but sometimes LE does have to let people walk or get reduced charges in order to get information to put away the main suspect(s). But it happens often, for sure.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
21 - 40 of 43 Posts