Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a balance of two major things in new handgun. Currently waiting for my CHL to come in, and I'm trying to decide what to carry.

I currently have a S&W Sigma 9mm, but not going to use that as my carry. I obviously want a compact/subcompact, and I have settled on two calibers... .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

I want to be able to carry it with as many rounds as possible, but also want to be able to eliminate a threat if, God forbid, I ever have to do so. In this aspect, I want capacity and stopping power.

In addition, I would like to be able to go to the range and put a hurt on some paper silhouettes without breaking the bank. So in this aspect, I want FUN and frugality (as much as possible, at least)

I am fully aware of the fact that this is the age old comparison (.40 vs .45) and everyone has their preferences (not to mention that there may not be any real 'winner'), but can you more experienced folks give my your opinions regarding the matter?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not a fan of the .40 but in relation to the way ammo is showing up in my neck of woods; .40 would be alot easier to get and less costly. Either way it's more about shot placement than anything. So I say go with the .40.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am a fan of the .40, but that aside, I think it's the one that meets your criteria best. Looking at both as capable stoppers, which I believe them both to be, you get more rounds of .40 in the same size gun than .45, and the ammo is cheaper, if not by much. Definitely greater availability around here at the moment, too.

That said, it is a good bit more comfy to shoot .40 in a compact rather than subcompact, so I'd lean that way. Of course, I don't imagine .45 to much fun out of subcompact either, but I don't know. (I've never fired a .45 subcompact, only 5" 1911s.)

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Look at the Glocks...G23 or 27 in .40, G30 or 36 in .45. Springfield XD's have pretty similar models. Some folks like Glocks, some like XD's, I like both... If you can, go rent some at a local range...

·
Banned
5,253 Posts
I am fully aware of the fact that this is the age old comparison (.40 vs .45) and everyone has their preferences (not to mention that there may not be any real 'winner'), but can you more experienced folks give my your opinions regarding the matter?
Trying to compare the various defensive/duty calibers is like trying to see how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Anything from 9mm/38 SPL to 45 ACP/.44 Mag will work if the "proper" bullet is selected and it is placed where it will do the most good. In short, bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.

There is one round I am most fond of, and that is the "King of the Street" load of .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP. You can light a cigar twelve feet from the end of the barrel when you fire one of them off. :smoke23: Anything else is just "making do".

The forty has some advantages in versatility and ammo capacity for weapon size when compared to the 45. The 45 has bullet size, mild recoil, and usually, ease of finding a good selection of ammo, in it's favor.

Right now I carry a .40S&W BAP off duty, but have carried most calibers at one time or another. I always gravitate back to the .357 Magnum and compare everything to that.

Biker

·
Registered
785 Posts
For me, it's the Springfield XDSC in either .40 S&W or 9mm. Solid as a rock, accurate, plenty of firepower. Great carry gun!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I don't have one but how about a Glock G19? It's a good carry gun that you can easily roll some 9mm off with at the range. A G26 would be good too but you give up a little in capacity. I have a G33 which can be a bit pricey at the range (but fun). :image035:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Depends on how strong your hands are. A Glock 23 is a pretty light gun for .40 and much harder to control than a Sig 229, which seems to be made for the round. I've shot both and opted for the Sig. I haven't shot the Kahr, but that's a possibility. Personally, I'm confident with 9 mil. A glock 19 or Sig 228 is perfect.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
G30 or G36

Sticking with your choices..I like 45ACP(in fairness have ZERO experience with 40S&W)I just think practice will be rather expensive compared to 9mm, for instance. If you're not a 1911 type than the Glock 30SF or 36 would be my choice. Reliable, great power-to-size ratio and plenty of holsters choices out there. Good luck!:smile:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Trying to compare the various defensive/duty calibers is like trying to see how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Reminds me of a quote I often see on another forum:
"Shot placement is King. Penetration is Queen. Everything else is just Angels dancing on the head of a pin."

·
Registered
143 Posts
Man, I sure do like the .45! Soooo much smoother to shoot than that dang .40.

That said, you seem to be asking which one gun can do it all. There is no such beast! Why do you think so many of us own so many different guns?! :image035:

Take my Sig P226 for an example. I love carrying it around in a Milt Sparks VMII holster. Still, there are many days when I cannot carry it because of the clothing I really must be wearing in my position. [that is an awfully big gun] But, that said, there are a lot of days when I look at my Sigs and decide to go with a Springfield Emp or a USP compact . . . or . . .

Now, at the range is where I really do enjoy these different guns. I've got to say that the P226 is the most accurate gun in my hands that I currently own. But, I did just get a P220 Carry and haven't had a chance to see what it can do at the range!

Guns like women . . . why do you have to have just one?! :danceban:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
That said, you seem to be asking which one gun can do it all. There is no such beast!
Not really in a compact carry piece. I carry a PT140, but it's not a particularly pleasant "paper-puncher" with factory ammo. With my 155 gr/900 fps hand loads, yes.

For general paper punching I prefer one of my .22 match guns or .38 special mid-range loads in my Colt Python.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Had a pt140 a darn snappy lil bugger, my edc is now a pt145 95% of the time 10+1 and carry a spare mag when I have to go to a real bad part of town. Just my .02

·
Registered
829 Posts
Serving two purposes with one gun will take some compromise, smaller and lighter guns may indeed be easeir to conceal but medium and larger guns with heavier frames seem more friendly to shoot hundreds of rounds through. For instance I like to carry my PF 9 more than my full size 9mm or 1911, but which do I spend more time on the range with, no contest!

So you want something which falls in the middle and there are good choice, I think I would go G19 (or sig, xd, taurus etc...). Concealable but shootable.

I would personally go with the G30, it size, weight, capacity and caliber are sure enticing!

Cost: 9mm is still cheaper, I can still get 9mm for 20-30$/100, where as 45 is 32-52/100.

All that said a 3" 1911 would fit that bill as well....

·
Banned
5,253 Posts
Reminds me of a quote I often see on another forum:
"Shot placement is King. Penetration is Queen. Everything else is just Angels dancing on the head of a pin."
That was the quote that influenced what I wrote.

In my sleep deprived state I failed to remember it correctly. :bier:

Biker

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
The Glock-36 is a great weapon...if you can't do it with 6 + 1, an extra 150 shots isn't going to do it for you...IMHO. Anyway they have this tremendous invention called extra mags.:blink:
The G-36 is very easy to conceal and it has replaced my 1911's (Did I just ay that, again?:gah:) as my EDC.

Go pick one up...you'll see.:yup:

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
Balance: Carry and Fun
In the form of a question, the answer would be a G23. 40S&W IS more fun than 9mm, and 45acp seems to be the same big holes time after time. Get a Glock 40cal, and tame that puppy!

·
Registered
180 Posts
In the form of a question, the answer would be a G23. 40S&W IS more fun than 9mm, and 45acp seems to be the same big holes time after time. Get a Glock 40cal, and tame that puppy!
I agree. I have the 23 and the 27 and the 27 is really not bad at all, but when shooting at the range I'd prefer the 23. I'm carrying the 27 as we speak since I can conceal slightly better, but for one gun I'd keep my 23. Not much harder to conceal with a supertuck, fun to shoot with the larger grip, and the .40 cal is the way to go around here. It is by far the most available ammo in my neck of the woods. Wally always has some in stock and it's cheaper than everything but 9mm, which they have less frequently. OMO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I personally think the best 40 carry gun is the Kahr PM40 which is why I have one. Only 40 I know of that can be easily pocket carried. I normally carry it IWB though in a Desantis Tuck This II with the 5+1 and the 6 round mag in the mag holder on the holster. I do have a Nemisis that I use it with on occasion though. It has performed flawlessly for me and shots very well. Lot of people complain about the recoil on this gun. I personally don't think its bad but I also think people that think the LCP has bad recoil are crazy.

Another gun you should look at is the Walther PPS in 40. Everyone I know that has one loves it. I looked at it long and hard but liked the smaller size of the PM40...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'll definitely agree with the last two. Look at a Glock 23. Easily concealable, high capacity, fairly light, and it seems as though .40 is easier to find for most people than .45 is.

And Lord only knows how much longer this ammo drought is going to last. No sense buying a gun you can't shoot. And this is coming from a guy who just bought a 1911 2 weeks ago. I still haven't found any ammo to run through it yet.:frown:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts