Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a local online news story and someone commented that manufacturers are required to fire a round through each handgun and scan the balistics info into a database in the event that the gun was use in a crime. Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I do believe all guns are test fired. Manufacturers include the spent brass with new guns. And if you live in a communist state, the county sheriff is given this empty case.

All guns have unique finger prints and they can supposedly match up the spent brass shells to the gun that fired it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Some states require a spent casing to register the firearm, so the manufacturer sends one with every firearm.

From Maryland.....

Any manufacturer that ships or transports a handgun to be sold, rented, or transferred in Maryland must include in the box with the handgun a separate sealed container holding a spent casing from that handgun. A handgun dealer must confirm compliance with this provision. A handgun dealer shall forward the sealed container holding a spent casing from the handgun that is subsequently sold or transferred to the state police.

Source- http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/mdSL.pdf

·
Registered
866 Posts
Glad not to live in one of "those" states....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info

I received the spent casing with my handgun. What about the projectile? I believe that the rifling in the barrel creates unique markings on the bullet that can then be recorded/scanned, and then compared and matched to another bullet fired from the same gun to determine whether or not a particular bullet was used in a crime. Do the manufacturers perform this kind of recording/scanning at the factory?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I do believe all guns are test fired. Manufacturers include the spent brass with new guns. And if you live in a communist state, the county sheriff is given this empty case.

All guns have unique finger prints and they can supposedly match up the spent brass shells to the gun that fired it.
Yep I had 2 spent rounds in my G26 packaging. I figured it had something to do with the signature of the gun being on file. I also thought maybe even it was provided as a way for me to provide that signature to the authorities in case something happened involving my weapon.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I received the spent casing with my handgun. What about the projectile? I believe that the rifling in the barrel creates unique markings on the bullet that can then be recorded/scanned, and then compared and matched to another bullet fired from the same gun to determine whether or not a particular bullet was used in a crime. Do the manufacturers perform this kind of recording/scanning at the factory?
In an ideal world, all of this might have some significance. What's portrayed in the media and on television aint always so. The ballistics of pistols can be altered dramatically after the firearm leaves the factory in a number of ways depending on it's usage. Aftermarket barrels, shooting lead bullets, etc. You may just be seeing part of the picture before the paint is dry.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Other than the spent casing or casings included with the new firearm I am not aware of any scanning or recording of any kind done with the bullet.

bosco

·
Registered
651 Posts
The whole science is kind of silly. Ever so slightly mill the breech face, change the extractor, ejector, firing pin, barrel and magazine and your semi auto now has a new ballistic "fingerprint".

·
Registered
148 Posts
The whole science is kind of silly. Ever so slightly mill the breech face, change the extractor, ejector, firing pin, barrel and magazine and your semi auto now has a new ballistic "fingerprint".
Well are'nt some of these modifications illegal?

·
Registered
399 Posts
You see this "ballistic fingerprinting" all the time on shows like CSI. I've always wondered how accurate it actually is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts