Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody point me in the right direction to learn more about ballistic tests done with this type of ammo?

I'm trying to figure out how it'd perform as SD carry rounds, compared to the other commonly used defensive ammunition.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd be interested too...and to know of their new Critical Defense 9mm ammo as well. Any help anyone?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I haven't tested any yet, but I did get a few boxes of 124gr +p a while ago. It had a small opening for a hollow point and a very sharp taper to it. I have them packed away as SHTF ammo for my Uzi since they look like they would cycle it well, but base on the size of the holow point I doubt it would open very well or tolerate heavy clothing. Just a SWAG based on looking at it, though.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I haven't tested any yet, but I did get a few boxes of 124gr +p a while ago. It had a small opening for a hollow point and a very sharp taper to it. I have them packed away as SHTF ammo for my Uzi since they look like they would cycle it well, but base on the size of the holow point I doubt it would open very well or tolerate heavy clothing. Just a SWAG based on looking at it, though.
Hornaday tap is a fragmenting bullet. Its not suppose to open a hollow point. Its suppose to dump all its energy in the shortest distance of soft tissue as possible.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Hornaday tap is a fragmenting bullet. Its not suppose to open a hollow point. Its suppose to dump all its energy in the shortest distance of soft tissue as possible.
The deuce it is.

9mm TAP is a standard JHP; I have some...it looks similar to the old XTP bullet, but with a larger mouth.

You're perhaps thinking of TAP CQ.

FWIW--in my backyard ballistics test, a 124gr 9mm TAP punched through a Carhartt vest, a sweatshirt a t-shirt, and fully penetrated two gallon water jugs and into a third with right around .5" expansion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's an awesome document, but no reference to 9mm Luger in there. :(

Could you elaborate on this? Where can I learn more? (The ones I have look like a regular JHP bullet.)

Thanks, Cuda! Where I'm located now, thick clothing is not really a concern in terms of hindering ballistic performance.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The deuce it is.

9mm TAP is a standard JHP; I have some...it looks similar to the old XTP bullet, but with a larger mouth.

You're perhaps thinking of TAP CQ.

FWIW--in my backyard ballistics test, a 124gr 9mm TAP punched through a Carhartt vest, a sweatshirt a t-shirt, and fully penetrated two gallon water jugs and into a third with right around .5" expansion.
nope the TAP FPD fragments

He did not specify bullet type.

the hornaday TAP itself is suppose to be less recoil or something.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
nope the TAP FPD fragments

He did not specify bullet type.

the hornaday TAP itself is suppose to be less recoil or something.

Wrong again.

9mm TAP/FPD does not fragment any more then the next JHP (I've got several boxes of TAP/FPD). FPD means "For Personal Defense", and it's the same XTP-type bullet for the handguns.

You may be confusing them with the TAP rifle rounds, which are basically V-Max varmint bullets...and while not frangible, do certainly go to hell and breakfast when they hit someting...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Wrong again.

9mm TAP/FPD does not fragment any more then the next JHP (I've got several boxes of TAP/FPD). FPD means "For Personal Defense", and it's the same XTP-type bullet for the handguns.

You may be confusing them with the TAP rifle rounds, which are basically V-Max varmint bullets...and while not frangible, do certainly go to hell and breakfast when they hit someting...
though similar frangable bullets and fragmenting bullets are 2 different things

Terminal ballistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

your correct about Hornaday not having a fragmenting bullet for pistol; after reading my source it was indeed the .223 remington TAP that was tested. The .45XTP VS .45TAP I thought about was testing the differences in penetration and muzzle velocity.

the pistol TAP ammo recoil thing is true though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts