Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told (although I didn't see any mention of it on packing.org) that carrying in banks in VA is not allowed. What about the ATM machine mounted in the outside wall of the bank (to use it, you remain completely outside the bank).? Seems to me that the history of ATM machines would make them one of the places where carry would be most appropriate.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If carrying IN banks is not allowed and the ATM is on the OUTside, I don't see a problem.

Reactions: Chicagobill

·
Registered
83 Posts
I heard many rumors about where I could and could not carry when I first got my CCW. I read the laws, and in PA all I have found in writing is court houses and primary and secondary schools. Other then that, I carry. Post office, bank, etc. aren't on the list, so I carry there as well.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
grnzbra said:
I was told (although I didn't see any mention of it on packing.org) that carrying in banks in VA is not allowed. What about the ATM machine mounted in the outside wall of the bank (to use it, you remain completely outside the bank).? Seems to me that the history of ATM machines would make them one of the places where carry would be most appropriate.
Someone was mistaken. There is no specific prohibition in current State Code against carry in a bank. There are no prohibitions regarding ATM's. That said, many banks, here in the Commonwealth do have signs posted prohibiting firearms, and to carry on private property so posted is considered trespassing, if you are caught.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom357 said:
That said, many banks, here in the Commonwealth do have signs posted prohibiting firearms, and to carry on private property so posted is considered trespassing, if you are caught.
There is a small sign on the door of the bank, along with similar signs for no smoking and no eating. There is no sign on the entrance to the property. That would seem to say that I can't bring a gun inside. (The bank is in a shopping mall). Does that seem like a correct interpretation?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kel-Tec2006 said:
I heard many rumors about where I could and could not carry when I first got my CCW. I read the laws, and in PA all I have found in writing is court houses and primary and secondary schools. Other then that, I carry. Post office, bank, etc. aren't on the list, so I carry there as well.
When I researched the PA laws, it just said schools and court facilities. I have been told by a couple people that banks are off limits because they are considered federal buildings, but I do not really think that is true because I have not seen that law anywhere.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
grnzbra said:
There is a small sign on the door of the bank, along with similar signs for no smoking and no eating. There is no sign on the entrance to the property. That would seem to say that I can't bring a gun inside. (The bank is in a shopping mall). Does that seem like a correct interpretation?
If it were me, I would conclude that carry in the bank is prohibited, but carry in the mall is not. The worst they could do is ask me to leave.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Is a bank actually a Fed building tho? I'd love to be totally sure.

No banks have notices round here and I have carried into my own bank and one or two others ever since I have been carrying - not feeling that I was breaking any law.

Reactions: Chicagobill

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
A bank is not a federal building. Some people try to say that since banks have FDIC insurance that they are federal property. That is incorrect. In VA there is no law prohibiting carry in a bank. The bank can post and it sounds like grnzbra found one of the many that do. If posted and you are discovered carrying inside they may ask you to leave. If you refuse, and the police are called, you may be charged with criminal trespassing. If you leave the premisis no charges should be brought. However police are people and they may refer you for charges anyway. You should prevail if they do this.

If the mall is not posted then you may carry in the mall. If the ATM is on the exterior of the bank building and not past the sign posting the bank interior you should have no problem carrying there. Also if the property owner or their representative sees your gun and asks you to leave you should, or you may be charged with trespassing. That applies even if there is no sign posting the premisis.

Welcome to VA.

-Scott-

·
Registered
988 Posts
In NH, the law says the only place I cannot carry is in a courthouse or building physically connected to said courthouse. I do not find anything other than that in the RSA's for NH.

Where might I find a listing of federal laws concerning carry?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do not carry in post offices!!!

I would advise against carrying into a post office as this is not allowed. In most states (Virginia included) you may carry a concealed firearm onto federal property, but NOT into federal buildings, such as a courthouse (unless you are the clerk, others must check it in at security; or into a Post Office). Always rely on your state and/or county's Department of Public Safety's website for concealed carry laws and NOT SOLELY ON THESE BLOGS. If you feel the need to carry (which I do), then remember to go to a credible source! If you are ever caught concealing a weapon in a restricted area, you not only face having your CCW revoked, but you may face jail time or fines and court dates!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is a bank actually a Fed building tho? I'd love to be totally sure.

No banks have notices round here and I have carried into my own bank and one or two others ever since I have been carrying - not feeling that I was breaking any law.
Banks are NOT federal buildings. They are insured by the FDIC or NCUA, but not owned or operated by the federal government. If a crime is committed, however, that bank and consequent investigation are then in the jurisdiction of the federal government (FBI to be exact - no matter the state or territory!)

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
I would advise against carrying into a post office as this is not allowed. In most states (Virginia included) you may carry a concealed firearm onto federal property, but NOT into federal buildings, such as a courthouse (unless you are the clerk, others must check it in at security; or into a Post Office). Always rely on your state and/or county's Department of Public Safety's website for concealed carry laws and NOT SOLELY ON THESE BLOGS. If you feel the need to carry (which I do), then remember to go to a credible source! If you are ever caught concealing a weapon in a restricted area, you not only face having your CCW revoked, but you may face jail time or fines and court dates!!!
First off, welcome from the Richmond area.

I'd like a reference for the part I highlighted from your post. Possession on post office property is prohibited, to include parking lots.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There is no Virginia law against CC in banks. Any business, though, can set its own policies, and if it posts a "no guns" sign then you can be asked to leave if you are caught in violation. Refuse to do so, and you can be arrested for trespassing.

So go ahead and carry in the mall if there is no sign at the entrance, but stay out of the bank out of respect for its policies. The rights of businesses or individuals to set the rules for their own property is an American principle that is just as important as the Second Amendment.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
...Possession on post office property is prohibited, to include parking lots.
ATTENTION NEWCOMERS: This has been discussed, argued and verified many times on this forum, and others. Post Offices are NOT listed in state regulations as a place where you cannot carry, even with a license. That does not mean you can carry. The Post Office restriction is part of Federal Law and, therefore, not listed in state regulations.

Title 39 - Postal Service
Chapter I
United States Postal Service
Subchapter D
Organization and Administration
Part 232
Conduct on Postal Property

232.1 Conduct on Postal Property.

Paragraph L

(l)Weapons and explosives.
No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or
deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Someone was mistaken. There is no specific prohibition in current State Code against carry in a bank. There are no prohibitions regarding ATM's. That said, many banks, here in the Commonwealth do have signs posted prohibiting firearms, and to carry on private property so posted is considered trespassing, if you are caught.

Please please read up on the local laws in your state or contact a attorney that can help you.

The above is not correct (as far as I know and I am pretty sure I am correct :smile:). You are only trespassing after you are asked to leave and you do not. Simply carrying in a posted business (as long as it is not specifically prohibited by law) does not constitute trespassing. I carry in several local banks several times a month with no problems or issues and have once open carried into the same locations.

·
Registered
558 Posts
A bank is not a federal building. Some people try to say that since banks have FDIC insurance that they are federal property. That is incorrect. In VA there is no law prohibiting carry in a bank. The bank can post and it sounds like grnzbra found one of the many that do. If posted and you are discovered carrying inside they may ask you to leave. If you refuse, and the police are called, you may be charged with criminal trespassing. If you leave the premisis no charges should be brought. However police are people and they may refer you for charges anyway. You should prevail if they do this.

If the mall is not posted then you may carry in the mall. If the ATM is on the exterior of the bank building and not past the sign posting the bank interior you should have no problem carrying there. Also if the property owner or their representative sees your gun and asks you to leave you should, or you may be charged with trespassing. That applies even if there is no sign posting the premisis.

Welcome to VA.

-Scott-
Just to corroborate: I'm also experienced with VA, and that seems to me to be a pretty good synopsis.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts